MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Women Riders on the Increase

Women Riders on the Increase - Forums [Biker Match] Women Riders on the Increase - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Women Riders on the Increase

Women Riders on the IncreaseThe number of women taking to two wheels has increased significantly during the last eighteen months and this now represents a large proportion of moped, scooter and bike sales for the motorcycle industry.As a result of this increase, road safety officers in West Mercia and Warwickshire are actively promoting a series of free and subsidised “Take Control” rider assessment courses to women, in the hope that they will want to develop their riding skills. Director of Safety at the Coventry-based Motorcycle Industry Association (MCIA) Karen Cooke, has recently tried a Take Control course for herself and commented;-“I have been riding motorcycles for 28 years and I am always nervous when anyone else analyses my riding technique, but my instructor was great and really put me at ease. Even though I have completed refresher training in the past, he still came up with some helpful suggestions and I was able to iron out one or two bad habits that naturally develop over time. I would encourage all moped and motorcycle riders to learn the Take Control techniques and particularly hope the increasing number of female riders will make a commitment to this sort of self improvement. There is no bravado, no test and no pressure and it helps you to become a safer rider“. Motorcycle dealerships are finding that women are buying a wider variety of machines from mopeds and scooters as a main mode of transport for commuting, to larger custom bikes and sports bikes, just for fun. Motorcycling now has a much wider appeal for both sexes, all ages and people from many different backgrounds.Communications Manager for the Safer Roads Partnership in West Mercia, Katy Jenkins explains;-“Just ten years ago, most women wearing leathers and a crash helmet were presumed to be pillion passengers, but that is simply not the case now. We even know of a few ‘women-only bike clubs. They are often more receptive to advice and more willing to learn and we have a variety of half-day and full day courses that can be tailored to the needs and level of experience of every lady“.Take Control rider training costs either £30 or nothing at all, depending on the course you select. It is available to anyone who lives in or travels through the counties of Shropshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Warwickshire. Instructors will usually travel to where clients live or work and ride on their local roads or regular routes.More information can be found at www.takecontroltraining.co.uk or by calling 90-ONE Rider Education on (0845) 370 91 91, or by emailing info@90-ONE.com<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> <o:p> </o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 05/08/2010 09:10  

Women riders on the increase.........excellent, well done ladies, keep up the good work!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/08/2010 09:31  

I joined a women's only bike club in 1982 & although I've dipped in and out of the membership, I've kept in touch with many I used to ride out with. It's not an anti-men club, it's a place where women can talk about / ride their bikes without guys telling us how many times they got their knee down that day..... Over the years, I've seen the number of women on bikes increase and it's great! I would encourage anyone to do some extra training. Even after riding for over 20 yrs, I learned loads!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/08/2010 00:01  

Keep up the good work ladies,think it is fantastic that you ladies are on the increase,better shape than blokes anyway,but respect to all ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Update Reply
whiteairedfox @ 06/08/2010 00:05  

Wonder if there is anything like this in other areas?

Keep it up ladies ... 4 cbts done in last month ... Who is next?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/08/2010 05:43  

brill, more women in leather to stare at...sorry, meant admire....

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 09/08/2010 07:38  

not sure about women only bike clubs but i do like to see more female riders

Update Reply
dunans @ 09/08/2010 11:27  

Agreed, if folk are in to bikes, who cares what gender, they are

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 09/08/2010 11:33  

dont agree with women only bike clubs, a biker is a biker whatever there sex

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 09/08/2010 11:33  

I wouldnt mind doing one of them courses myself,wonder if there doing any in yorkshire, some guys dont like woman riding bikes,i ride about on my own and with both sexes my mates say if you got two wheels dont matter what sex u are we are all the same lol x

Update Reply
yamashirlz @ 09/08/2010 17:14  

i thought wimen in the wind was a lesbian club ? but it far better to watch the ladies ride along look so much better in leathers than blokes i find ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 09/08/2010 20:35  

Brilliiant! Most people I meet or speak to think I am bonkers on a bike as its a 'bloke thing' to be riding a motorbike. I am quite shy and perfer not to be centre of attention etc but do love it when in traffic and I see stares as they reaslise its a woman on a bike! lol

Update Reply
babebiker @ 09/08/2010 22:02  

I took my cbt on 31st July and got a Honda cbf 125 on saturday and been out 3 times, (totally incontinent I must add) had a great time. My mum thinks I still should have joined the W.I. p.s i'm 54 xx

Update Reply
posh totty @ 10/08/2010 00:49  

yeay posh totty...54 year old girlies are doing it or themselves! That's 5 this month Kwak!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 10/08/2010 01:31  

Congratulations! to all those who have recently done their Compulsory Basic Training, good luck with your practical test

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/08/2010 08:47  

Just had an A grade on my Enhanced Riders Scheme - instructor says he has just given me the highest score ever - feel so proud to be a woman rider!!! Go for it girlies!!

Update Reply
Bat @ 07/09/2010 17:42  

fantastic

Update Reply
earthwind @ 07/09/2010 17:43  

Well done bat..... Go girl!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2010 17:45  

Well done to you hun x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2010 17:47  

well done bat good fro you hun
i go out in southport most sundays and walk past the carousel where all the bikes are, its unusual to see 3 female riders out of 60-70 bikes so the numbers need to keep going up

Update Reply
dunans @ 07/09/2010 18:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email