MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Women Riders on the Increase

Women Riders on the Increase (4) - Forums [Biker Match] Women Riders on the Increase (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Women Riders on the Increase

I had some bikes in the 80`s and then nothing till now so got a lot of catching up to do!

Update Reply
julie j @ 25/12/2010 19:41  

I read this post with interest.I started riding at 16 and knocked about with an 18 year old girl who had a suzuki dr125. She wasn't very tall and could hardly kick the bike off but it didn't stop her.We used to go all over and took the star rider course together (remember those?) She took her test with them and passed. I had to wait till I was 17 the following year and then passed mine. So there was girls out there years ago just not in abundance it seems.

Update Reply
red_daytona @ 25/12/2010 21:39  

there were a few girls riding about 25-30 yrs ago 4 in our bike club in manchester mainly with 250's and i knew about 3 others locally...but there are a lot more now, even here! In the past 2 years ive travelled a lot by myself on the bike....some people still find it a bit odd. Stayed in a hotel in N Scotland last year and struck up a chat with a S African women who was amazed that i could, as a single female, travel safely on a bike by myself !

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 26/12/2010 22:38  

Good stuff. Theres nothing like pulling up at the lights next to another biker and a beautiful pair of eyes peeking out from under their skid-lid.
More female bikers the better.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 27/12/2010 08:37  

before they speed off and you eat dust dyna!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 06/01/2011 19:47  

You say that Kwak', but only if they get their knitting packed first surely?

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 06/01/2011 20:05  

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 06/01/2011 20:44  

I still get strange looks if I use my bike to go to work on ... women in accountants firms are not supposed to ride bikes it seems

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/01/2011 18:29  

i have the same prob Shell although my female boss said shes gonna go do her test this year coz shes feels envious every time i come in on the bike.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 08/01/2011 18:45  

I got ... that BIG bike isn't yours is it ? & How do you manage to stay on such a big bike without falling off ?

LMAO ... the best I have had is ... How can you ride a bike with such long nails ? ... I asked how she could drive a car with long hair ? ... I got a very strange look

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/01/2011 19:16  

Shell/KG, I think that attitude is thanks to those women who can't function without a man, and when they have one can't seem to do anything for themselves anymore, I'm sure you know the type. No way am I knocking having a man but ffs have some self respect as well. I used to tow a caravan until a couple of years ago (when I swapped it for the bike) and you wouldn't believe how amazed people could be at a woman towing. I pointed out several times that I do use a car, I don't pull it by hand. As for female bikers increasing in numbers, are you sure it's not just that they've become more socially accepted, and the advent of mobile phones enabling us to dare to travel alone more. Also, in my case I have massive knockers so you can't really mistake me for a man, but in the main, if you see a biker riding it's not easy to tell what sex they are, it's only when the lid comes off that it's obvious. If we are on the increase though, great stuff! We might get a better range of small enough bikes before too long

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 08/01/2011 20:54  

haha i love doing that when i get pulled by the cops...because even now they 99% of the time think its a fella til i undo the jacket! lol ive been travelling alone on my bike since around 1989 - a bit before mobiles. anyway how many times have you broken down and the first car that comes along stops never mind bikes.....mind you it never ceases to amaze me how many fellas think we are all a bit "blond" when it comes to anything mechanical! lol

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 08/01/2011 21:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email