MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Is the bike rally dead?

Is the bike rally dead? (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Is the bike rally dead? (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Is the bike rally dead?

I don't think bike rallies are dead, or even dying, i think they're just moving with the times. If they have to become festivals to get the punters in then that's what they'll do. They are businesses, organised to make money, and traditions aren't always profitable. I would hate to think that my disabled brother (who became disabled in a smash on his Hayabusa) was excluded from a rally or event just because he can't actually get on a bike any more. lol.. I remember the first MAG rallies i ever went to, we'd ride to whatever town or city, we'd all meet up and 'listen'(yeah right) to some geezer waffle for an hour about the evil helmets, leg shields and oppressive governments, then we'd all ride through the town on an organised route where a few would get pulled for taking off their helmets. Then we'd ride home. This year's FYP wasn't the best i've been to by a long way, but i'll take that over the old rallies every time. Are you still awake?

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 21/06/2011 21:49  

From your post WR, it sounds like you have only ever been to large festival type rallies, which are businesses, that's fine but they aren't bike rallies. I have been to many of them before and I get even more bored with them than the smaller ones, plus they are bloody expensive

Rallies moving with the time and becoming festivals, then they aren't bike rallies are they!!

As for MAG rallies? why bring that up? I've been doing rallies before MAG was around beating the tamborine "come and join us, come and join us"

The only biker organisation I support is NABD, because they actually give concrete help to bikers unlike MAG and BMF who bleat on about bollocks legislation, so I hope that answers the issue about your brother, who was a biker. Perhaps he should contact them regarding getting back on the road, trike perhaps???

BTW wenders the comment I made about getting a bike wasn't personal it was a general comment

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/06/2011 22:12  

Call it what you like rallies festivals ive been to them the old ones and the" new type" as long as foke enjoy them selves who gives a s**t

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/06/2011 22:27  

Wenders, that's the best summary of why I do rallies ive ever heard. I may keep that on my phone for the next time some non biker asks why I'm riding miles to sit in a field.
Seems my question has stirred up some division, want to make my position clear.
Bike rallies should be for bikers, I dont care how you get there, if you're one of us. I don't want to do rallies where toerags and chavs mean the atmosphere Wenders described is polluted.

Posed the topic because i feel that's happening more.

Graham

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 21/06/2011 22:52  

cant help thinking this is going to tern into..................
whats a real bike ...................lol lol lol

Update Reply
kaycat @ 21/06/2011 23:05  

I know this may not go down well but i think Bike Rally's should be bikes only, most rally's will let disabled and injured bike's in but other than that it should be a no no to cars, the trouble is once you let cars in than some bring there kids and dogs, can't understand why anyone would want to take a dog to a bike rally, if children come in on the back of a bike than that's ok [we had 2 in our group at the Farmyard and they were absolutely ok] but when you let cars in you get the younger kids who just shouldn't be there, i'v even seen them in prams, so definitely no to cars, don't mind cars at camping weekends, think we had almost as many in cars at Cornwall as we did on bike, including kids and dogs and that's ok, kids can enjoy them self at this type of event with a group of friends, but don't think they ought to be at rally's, so keep the cars out.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 22/06/2011 00:13  

I have to agree Bill, Bike Rally's should be for bikes and bikers only.....Farm yard didn't have a look in on previous years....it was full of the non biking community...

I arrived Thursday and had a good laugh not a car in site and didn't see hardly anyone walking in.....I left mid day Sunday and all morning watched the 'festival crowd' walking of site...seen em walk in as well on Friday.....

It was hard enough to get into the tents this year and it is way beyond bikers getting together for a weekend..I said it last year it has gone to commercial....

If you are a biker, been a biker, injured, can't ride or a pillion fine.....you are a biker come along and enjoy but the rest should go do the thing they do and leave the 'bike Rally' to the bikers......

Now before the usuals start chuntering, no one is saying anything about injured, disabled riders, or on crutches fine attend by prior appointment but come on the clue is in the name..BIKE RALLY..interesting to see who actually who objects to our opinion, wonder if they actually ride or are even long term pillions????????

If you are offended well tuff!....I am allowed my opinion too!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/06/2011 02:20  

Shad, i didn't say i agreed with or even like the idea of the bigger rallies becoming festivals - i just said it's the way it is. Whether we like it or not they'll still be advertised as bike rallies. The smallest rally i've been to was a H.O.G. rally with less than thirty bikes, and one really pongy non flush portaloo. It was behind a pub somewhere near Derby. (Jeez,... Harleys, Derby and a scary bog ....AND i had to pay ffs!)... The only reason i brought up MAG rallies, was to illustrate how they have changed over the last thirty years. I offered to convert our kid's crunched 'busa into a trike for him, but his view was if he can't get it cranked over on the twisties like a proper bike he may as well be in a sports car.

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 22/06/2011 04:32  

First of all WR, my deepest sympathy's for attending that rally, above and beyond the call of duty I feel.

What I do see is a divide between the members who have been riding a long time and experienced rallies for years and years and those who have only relatively recently experienced them.

Bill and Johnny expressed my feelings exactly.

Johnny, regarding the FYP, there's dozens and dozens go in cars and then get their mates to take them in on the back, that's been happening for years, no way to stop that though so just have to accept it.

P.S. I'm still worried that some people are agreeing with me

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/06/2011 07:23  

Well, all i can say is..... Hope when im 80 yrs old, bent over, disabled, deaf and the rest of the joys of old age, and cant ride my bike anymore but, still want to do one of the things ive done all my life and thouroughly enjoy, i'll be able to go to the bike rallies by any means possible, eg car, mini bus, turbo charged wheelchair or zimmer frame, and still get the warm, friendly welcome that ive always received at rallies..... Make no mistake please, bike rallies are for BIKERS!!!!!!

Update Reply
wenders @ 22/06/2011 10:01  

This has no end just opinion and wenders hope you will be at the BM Kiss rally in Sept there is good parking for all transport including bikes and trikes

Update Reply
JP @ 22/06/2011 10:58  

I suppose I go to bike rallies with people from here and fother friends and go to biker meets because I am a biker didnt have a bike for many years but always been a biker in my hear since my grandad tied me to him with a belt when i was about 2 lol one of my most vivid memmories lol

Update Reply
earthwind @ 22/06/2011 11:59  

There are absolutely loads of smaller rallies happening all over the country. They are happening every weekend and are organised by local clubs, local MAG and all sorts of other outfits....Stick a pin in the map & there will be one close by. I've done 3 already this year and they were all brilliant. The ones I went to were really good value weekends There are also the big rallies like the farmyard....I happen to quite like them too when I'm in the mood, but it can be a dear doo. The common factor in my experience is they are extremely friendly and welcoming and damn good fun with like-minded people. I just don't get what the problem is?? If a big rally isn't your cup of tea....err, well just don't go... go somewhere else cos there's loads of choice...simples

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 22/06/2011 12:52  

" I just don't get what the problem is?? If a big rally isn't your cup of tea....err, well just don't go... go somewhere else cos there's loads of choice...simples "

Toatally agree

Update Reply
marsey @ 22/06/2011 14:38  

Rallies dont have to be turn up thursday/friday dump your bike for the weekend and party .... I was at farmyard last weekend went thursday night .. had friday avo drinking and friday night, got up sat got myself sorted and then went out with Jim and did over 180 miles of lovely yorkshire roads, came back more beer's and music ... I do agree that bike rallies are for BIKERS .... however in some cases this may mean they need to come by other means , as not able to ride anymore ... Bike rallies are not for the neds and frestival folks ... and neither ar they for young kiddies ... soz folks its just my personnal opinion.... I

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/06/2011 14:49  

Not for the neds eh !!!

Who's brave enough to tell Big Ned that one lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 22/06/2011 15:15  

ach hes just a big softie ...... runs and hides now .. pmsl x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/06/2011 15:33  

I recall the time Big Ned gave Stella (hfg) a playful slap on the botty - poor lass couldn't sit down for a week

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/06/2011 15:43  

Bike rallies are not for the neds ooh I say star, well I wish to defend ned's right to go to rallies!! ....I remember that slap XK...deffo wouldn't want to feel the wrong side of that palm....be afraid star, very afraid lol

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 22/06/2011 16:41  

i love that, not for the Neds, lol ,lol ,wait til i tell him,starstaff your in for a ned surprise next time im sure for saying that , just ask jackie ! lol .god i cant stop chuckling at that one

Update Reply
carrie203 @ 22/06/2011 22:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email