MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Is the bike rally dead?

Is the bike rally dead? - Forums [Biker Match] Is the bike rally dead? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Is the bike rally dead?

I've been to few rallies lately where the number of people arriving on bikes is almost matched by the numbers in cars or just walking on. The middlesbrough number one being a good example. Are we too far along the road to stop these becoming mini festivals, does it matter? I go to rallies on my very impractical sports bike, its always been for me a chance to get away and chill out. Now I find myself searching for newer smaller dos as the stalwarts get taken over by the local teens and the car drivers. Am I in a minority? Graham.

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 19/06/2011 09:25  

Think its going to get worse. as the money runs down in familes somthing has to go and if you have kids its the bike

Update Reply
JP @ 19/06/2011 09:42  

Good point there JP. I don't go to rallies but thousands do and they enjoy them very much, it would be sad for those people if rallies didn't exist anymore and sad if they aren't allowed in if they don't have a bike. Most folk own bikes that cost a fortune in parts and labour, if they aren't mechanically minded, add the high cost of entry fees to rallies, petrol, food and booze rallies seem to be a rich man's leisure pursuit. For some there is no option but to have just the car on the road, especially if they have a family to consider. Does it matter how you get there, as long as you get there?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 19/06/2011 10:03  

I dont think that its just a case of it being a rich mans leisure however it certainly is not a young mans leisure pursuit any more, with the hoops that they make everyone jump through nowadays, for youngsters its a heck of a deal to do, its a lot easier to pass your car test & get a car.

So more & more its the 'older' people taking up biking, or coming back to biking, and as such they have all the trappings that come with it, not just families & kids, but also wanting the comforts to go too, not just the bare basics.

Personally I do not feel that a total 'true biker' rally & all that goes on at one is a suitable place to take smaller children, not just with things that are going on, but also for the chillax time of not having them about, not just my own but also others, and before anyone jumps down my throat about not having time away from kids etc etc , yes I know that side too, my kids fell out with their dad & did not see him for 14 years, I had to rely on if & when for if a family member could have them for one weekend in a blue moon so during the time when I had them, I didnt go to anything that was not suitable, & enjoyed the time to the fullest when I was able to.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 19/06/2011 11:01  

Must say, i was considering going to the farmyard, but due to various circumstances would only have been able to go over saturday teatime.
£35 for one night?? Forget it!! Would rather save my money, hell, that's nearly what the campsite in cornwall cost me for a WEEK!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2011 11:01  

Only thing I would say is only bikes to go onto the caming field cars parked in carpark unless blue badge or prebooked as the transport for the (bined it bikers club)

Update Reply
JP @ 19/06/2011 11:02  

I don't think it matters if you go by bike or car, its about like minded people getting together for a good time. I always loved the bike rallies, the Soggy Moggy was my fav and my car was used to take everyone elses stuff that wouldn't fit onto their trikes. Bikes by the tents and cars in the car parking field. Sandi, your so right in your post, I never had the luxury of being able to afford to have a trike though I always wanted one and have encountered people who said cars shouldn't be allowed at rallies, it's not about how you get there, it's about people going to something they enjoy. Anne

Update Reply
shorty1961 @ 19/06/2011 16:57  

Agree completely with the comment about like minded people.
Im not against car drivers, or kids (I have three of my own) . My question was do we still have a place for bike only rallies?
Most rallies should be billed, if we are honest, as festivals.
Sometimes, for some people, an event populated by all the local teenagers and boy racers isn't what we want.

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 19/06/2011 18:54  

Sometimes people have no choice to go to the rallies in the car, me being one of them, at the moment. I always went to the rallies on my bike till I was knocked off my bike last year, so without being able to take the car would mean I couldnt go. Saying that though doesnt mean I like going in the car, I would far rather be on a bike. Next year I will be on a trike and will go to rallies on that

Update Reply
drobess @ 19/06/2011 19:10  

Dont think that you will ever stop the boy racers going but if thay dont find anything thay like there thay dont go next year and if thay do then we have to turn them to the dark side lol

Update Reply
JP @ 19/06/2011 19:28  

Its all down to personal choice and circumstance, we should never judge why, just accept it is :)

Have been to big rallies, small rallies, on bike and in car, with kids, without kids, if i have good company thats all that matters to me :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/06/2011 21:29  

Bike rallies are for bikes,not cars,camper vans,and such.Next you will all be telling me its OK to turn up by light aircraft.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2011 21:56  

Just got back from the Farmyard today, second time I've been, had a conversation with a bloke about this very subject over a brew this morning. The thing with the MAG rallies is, they are to raise money to help MAG, protect motorcyclist against unfair legislation and fight for our rights, so, they have good reason to only allow motorcyclists in.

We were talking about the friendliness of most people there and how it feels like an extended family, all with a common love of bikes.

Having said that, there were plenty of people walking off the estate and being picked up by cars, this morning too. It is rough if you have had an accident or your bike has been nicked etc, and maybe a way could be found to let bikers in those circumstances, in.

I think its amazing value for money too, with all the entertainment that is laid on.

Also go to the No Bull just beer and Bikes in Builth. Fair number of cars and vans go there but the atmosphere is brilliant. The event is about bikes,so no problem

Update Reply
clarkee @ 19/06/2011 22:23  

Come on Clarkee get off the fence,say what you really think.You know as well as me what the problem is,there is no excuse for going in a car.If you have an injury then get a pilly.If you want to go in a camper van then join the caravan club.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2011 22:57  

This debate has nothing to do with your leg Drobess,please keep your leg out of this subject.I say again bike rallies are for bikes,if you can't go on a bike for any reason,then don't go at all.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2011 23:27  

Exactly brum,and if I should voice that opinion I should be able to say it without threats from you.Why don't you try saying something constructive

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/06/2011 10:55  

Exactly When did I not respect others opinions.I notice there is a M.A.G. rally The Heart Of England in events.Its just a short walk away to most of the Midlands crowd.Guess what none of you feel you can support it by going.Enough said.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/06/2011 11:30  

Oh God,there all coming out the woodwork now,the midlands mafia are in full song.Next it will be your big guns gbfartly and co.Just because you go to the soggy moggy every year does not mean you support your local M.A.G.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/06/2011 11:48  

Tigers are affiliated to M.A.G.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/06/2011 11:55  

Delete me from this site

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/06/2011 12:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email