MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Is the bike rally dead?

Is the bike rally dead? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Is the bike rally dead? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Is the bike rally dead?

Of course bike rallies are for bikes .... its in the name, BIKE rally!!!

Not car and bike rally

Unless you are on a bike or trike .... no one should be allowed access to the rally. However as some clubs seem to see rallies as a pure money making exercise and they can charge extra for the car they allow them on.

I've been involved in organising rallies at various times over the last hundred years or so and I've stopped cars coming on site and then parking in the pub car park and then walking in. Yes I've had abuse, but the ticket and advertising clearly stated NO CARS. "I don't care how far you have come, here's your money back, goodbye"

Lots of them in cars don't even have a provisional bike licence and those that do should feel ashamed to turn up in a car

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/06/2011 17:30  

I'm right there with you Shadowfax, it says what it is on the tin, I personally only go to BIKE rallies not festivals, also only to clubs who put a bash on for the people not for sheer profit, there are a few "rallies " about which are run by profiteers getting in on the biker scene, just about all clubs have an allowance for a person to come in a car if injured along with a driver but no other passengers, no extra charge. At the mayflowers Pilgrim rally members bring cars in with equipment then return on their bikes, the only cars there belong to the caterers.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 20/06/2011 19:40  

So S/F and H/W if you were knocked off your bikes and on sticks for the summer you would be happy to be turned away from all rallys due to being in a car

Update Reply
JP @ 20/06/2011 20:06  

Well said JP!!!!!!! I had to go 2 two bike rallies last year on crutches with a full leg brace on, If it was bikes only I would of been excluded from attending

Update Reply
drobess @ 20/06/2011 20:22  

IMO, this is a no win argument.

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 20/06/2011 20:37  

JP ........... I wouldn't get turned away because I wouldn't go in a car, sticks or not

My ZZR1100 blew up a few years ago and I had tickets for a couple of rallies, I didn't go because I couldn't go on a BIKE.

Pleased that you feel you have admitted defeat BL, when I am right.

Plus there all the people on here who don't even own a bike who seem to think it is ok to go to a BIKE rally in a car. Its a bike rally for bikers (or pillions)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/06/2011 21:06  

I don't really do bike rallies anymore. I no longer drink and it's has made me realise, I don't enjoy the actual rallies. Love the ride there, and back, and the ride on the Saturday, but get bored out of my head whilst there for the rest of the time.

I love camping, but prefer to have more stuff than can actually fit on a bike.

So I came to the conclusion, camping is done by car. The money I would have spent on the price of a rally ticket, can put fuel in the bike for more riding.

As far as I am concerned its a win, win thing.

But to put the spanner in the works, rallies were originally about riding, not drinking and bands.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/06/2011 21:11  

That's true fraglette, but back in the 70's when I first started bike rallies, it was much more of a BM type thing. You rode to a pub with mates or club, camped in the field at the back of the pub, with a big fire if you were lucky and just sat and had a good craiq with others. No bands, no music, other than what was on the jukebox.

I wonder how many cars go to the few traditional rallies that are left these days, precious few I bet, after all what are all those non bikers going to talk about?

I actually remember the first rally I went to with a ........... live band!!! it was a real novelty, then very quickly it became the norm.

I get bored with rallies too these days, I tend to enjoy the ride out there and back more than 2 nights at the rally. When we go now, we only do one night.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/06/2011 21:42  

JP and Drobess you have not read what I have written 4th line! and when I say most clubs I don't know of any that would not allow a fellow biker to attend for reason mentioned. If I was on sticks and able to get a lift I would get into ANY rally I wanted to attend.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 20/06/2011 22:26  

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and in such a diverse world, many wont match, we all do what we enjoy in whatever capacity we choose.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/06/2011 22:37  

Harryworth.........soz I didnt read wot you had put properly, on the 4th line

Update Reply
drobess @ 20/06/2011 23:10  

so bikers with a disability is the main thing how do they go, usually there is provision if u in a wheelchair and have to have a car or a van to get to to a rally, I know bikers who cant ride anymore but still in a club and still go to rallies so provision is made for them and thats some of the big ones as well such as faro lol

Update Reply
earthwind @ 20/06/2011 23:24  

Hw sorry blind aswell lol

Update Reply
JP @ 21/06/2011 03:43  

Interesting to hear that some of those that have been biking for a long time are getting bored of rallies.

I too don't do rallies any more. I haven't gone to rallies for a long time. As with SF I remember when rallies were a group of mates riding to a pub and camping in the field at the back lol! Usually we'd meet up with other mates there who had travelled from a different area of the country and it was a really good way of catching up with friends that you didn't see that often.

I do think that a lot of modern rallies, Farmyard (that used to be very different indeed!), Storming etc do in my opinion have far more in common with festivals than traditional bike rallies. Even the likes of the BMF Rally used to be very different. And if rallies come festivals are your thing, then that's fine, power to your elbow etc. But they're not mine.

I got bored with them! I'm not the sort of person who enjoys sitting around for three days doing nothing. My idea of fun is riding my bike and as such, again as with SF I stopped going for the entire weekend and would only do a night before eventually stopping altogether.

And as soon as I was introduced to the "biking weekend" I realised how dull rallies can be lol! For those that see riding their bike as the best thing about biking, the idea of taking a scenic route to a B&B/campsite in the middle of one of the UKs biking nirvanas, spending each day riding cracking roads and each evening chatting about bikes, before the ride home, seemed perfect. And it is!

Oh ... and the only people attending are bikers, on their bikes lol.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 21/06/2011 07:01  

as long as everyone is happy and there is so much choice out there you can go where it suits yer which is great lolsometimes i like to sit in a field and sometimes i like realy long runs out i like have lots and lots of choice :) (I think the sun just came out tra la la la ) keep getting a duffy song going round in my head

Update Reply
earthwind @ 21/06/2011 15:15  

Funny, I'd always thought of bike rallys as being things like the Paris-Dakar and the Heroes-Legends. I guess that's part of the problem with being the first person you know to get into bikes - you miss out on the social side! Personally I'd rather go for a biking weekend than a ride-somewhere and leave the bike. Has anyone been to the three stags head in the Peak District. Perfect old school pub, field for passing out in, good roads around there and the landlords! It only sells thick strong dark ale though so no lager drinkers! Before I got into bikes at all that pub reminded me of good old British Rockers, long hair and greasy bikes for some reason...

Update Reply
Half Baked Henry @ 21/06/2011 15:33  

For me bike rallies are for bikers, or ppl with a love for bikes, that, sadly, cannot ride for various reasons, that want a great weekend without having to have eyes in the back of their heads............... Where can we go in this day and age, to have fun, great company with like minded ppl, good music etc etc without having the worry of young pups wanting to fight the world after a couple of beers, glassing, stabbing or shooting???? Come on, be honest, how many of you ladies or gentlemen feel safe, late at night, walking alone anywhere except a bikers do????? My opinion, soz if i offend xx

Update Reply
wenders @ 21/06/2011 20:09  

No offence wenders, but bike rallies are for bikes, if you like bikes get one, if you cant ride then pillion ....... but dont go in a car

This is how bike rallies used to be ........... any cars???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI62_UcrTr4&feature=share

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/06/2011 20:14  

Ive got a bike and i go to rallies on it...but i'm lucky cos ive got 2 arms and 2 legs and an ass that all work.... Some ppl aren't as lucky as me but does that mean they cant PARTY too???????

Update Reply
wenders @ 21/06/2011 20:24  

Oi Wenders I know you have a bike slow down for me next time lol xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/06/2011 20:41  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email