MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Is the bike rally dead?

Is the bike rally dead? (5) - Forums [Biker Match] Is the bike rally dead? (5) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Is the bike rally dead?

At the last small rally I went to couple of weeks ago the £15 they charged for cars coming onsite all went to the local hospice I started doing rallies with my ex in the early 70s. Then in the 90s I hold my hands up here and admit it, yes I started going to rallies in a car...and further hang my head in shame....with kids By the turn of the century the regular ride had disappeared into the sunset, so what's a girl to do...just not go? Stay at home? (sucks in air between clenched teeth) Well clearly some of you think so, but I don't Now, at last I can get there on my own two wheels but it's been a damn long and hard slog getting to that point....ahhhhh, the circle of female biker life (melody playing at the back of my head here ) People turn up in cars for all sorts of reasons, many would prefer that it wasn't that way...for god's sake have a bit of bloody tolerance and be thankful if you are in the position where it's just you, your bike and your tent

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 24/06/2011 11:44  

Well said that woman you have every right to go to rallys etc if a few don't like it that's there problem and when the likes of the FY and ITTV don't make enough cash thay WILL follow and open up to all

Update Reply
JP @ 24/06/2011 12:40  

I'll second that jp

Update Reply
marsey @ 24/06/2011 13:56  

Devil's Advocate question... If everybody, whether bikers or non-bikers, turned up in cars - would it still be a bike rally?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2011 16:56  

bike rallys are just about dead there are a few left but the money factor has just about finished them off, most are just rallys now

Update Reply
JP @ 24/06/2011 17:13  

Minnie if you read the whole thread just about everyone has said if you are were a biker/ long term pillion and due to circumstances haven't got a ride then turn up by all means......but as we have pointed out and you are an example ...you took a while but you got your bike because it was always gonna be eventually....

Its the non biker fraternaty that boils our piss....turning up just for a piss up.......they are not bikers and don't have the same mind set...and really couldn't give a toss about us......if I wanted to mix with them I would go to T in the Park or Glastonbury....but NO I want to spend my time with other bikers in my precious off time between long stints working abroad.....

.......... but thats just me I guess

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2011 22:23  

Well blummin said Mr. Johnnytb Think that sums it up perfectly

Update Reply
wenders @ 24/06/2011 22:37  

Its the non biker fraternaty that boils our piss....turning up just for a piss up.......they are not bikers and don't have the same mind set...and really couldn't give a toss about us......if I wanted to mix with them I would go to T in the Park or Glastonbury

Jus hit the nail on the head mate

Update Reply
marsey @ 24/06/2011 22:37  

Which is why the 'no cars' rule came into being. IMO - cars should only be allowed in exceptional circumstances - ie where the driver can show good cause as to why he cannot attend on a bike.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2011 22:46  

As in 3 years ago got a puncture before i left town on the way to stormin so jumped in car to go, nowt wrong with that in my eyes ,
but i have gotta agree that too many non bikers are attending big rallies,

Update Reply
marsey @ 24/06/2011 23:10  

the type of biker rallies you say don't exist, do, but they are invitation only*, either you prospect for a club, or you make what the organisers consider a contribution to biking. That would be building a bike, instead of buying one, with fabricated parts, not from the shelf.
* they are kept invitation only, for the very reasons you suggest.

Update Reply
cruiser mic @ 25/06/2011 01:54  

ok I'm building and went to the bike shop in dundee and was told crack on on your own, we won't work on that bike......its not standard etc etc....no its a custom..(heinz actually)...but its fecking mine and I just wanted a well knowledged bike mechanic to do a bit of tweeking.....but no.....aw well I'll fecking well do it myself........now wheres me Haynes lol???????????????

So wheres my invite lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2011 03:41  

I'm building one with a new frame from Harris and fabricating or modifying the rest to fit.

so where's my invite lol

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 25/06/2011 10:18  

I built my bike. The ones from Honda don't come with heated grips, topbox, Autocom ......

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 25/06/2011 10:22  

Not quite what we meant Geoff optional extras don't count lol.. But are a lot less hassle. Trying to get original parts and info on a Heinz bike is a nightmare..... I am after some 38 mm foes with twin disc brake mounts old virago or such like but the only one I have seen was pitted to bits and the guy trying to charge a fortune... Said the travel area is clean..... Idioto what happens when you put new seals on.... Trashed straight away .... Some people always try to rip you off

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2011 13:13  

sent a set of Ohlin forks to be rebuilt quoted 2weeks, 2months later i'm still waiting for them, give them another stanchion today so hopefully will get them back next week

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/06/2011 00:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email