MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

BM ride for 100th Birthday of Macmillan Cancer Research

BM ride for 100th Birthday of Macmillan Cancer Research - Forums [Biker Match] BM ride for 100th Birthday of Macmillan Cancer Research - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

BM ride for 100th Birthday of Macmillan Cancer Research

Ok this is where we all try to do something as a big group !!

27th, 28th, 29th & 30th May 2011

I know its a long way off but there is a LOT to do, the plan is to have a great weekend ride out, round the lakes & Yorkshire moors,(between 60 & 100 miles per day MAX, you will need to have your own insurance & breakdown & recovery cover) stopping at various points along the way to rest & collect pennies for a VERY good cause & of course in the True BM way have a ruddy good giggle !!!

Its also going to be used to raise awareness of female bikers ... so as 1 in 3 people will be affected in some way this year by cancer, I have proposed that it will be 1 male rider to 2 female riders (XK DOWN!!!)

The details are a long way of final, but we have a start point, Harley Davidsons in Stockport have said we can start there, Pink hi Viz vests have been sourced, the route is being planned, a press release will be prepared as soon as the route is known, we are working on halls for bedding down in so that the min of gear will need to be carried, permits need to be applied for & police permission granted ... the letters will be drafted as soon as the route is sorted.

There is still loads to do, we will need support vehicles, lead riders who have a sat nav, people willing to be TEC, drinks & snacks to be donated, etc etc & of course RIDERS AND PILLIES !! We are even thinking of a small L plate group

SO .... If you can think of anyone who we could approach for anything please let us know, either in here or PM myself or Jackie (please don't bombard all the events committee as each will have different things to organise)

MOST OF ALL .. we need people who want to ride the weekend, & everyone's support in some way shape or form, for the 1st year we think it will be an idea to restrict to no more than a total of 50 (that's how many viz vests we have lol)

We hope this will be the 1st of many years for us doing this... lets make it a good un !!

Thank you to you all in advance.

PS ... Guys , yes Pink will be the colour of choice for clothes for the weekend

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/07/2010 19:56  

count me in

Update Reply
dunans @ 20/07/2010 20:37  

Not likely to have managed to get my licence by then but might be able to help with support in the funky van???

Update Reply
GT63 @ 20/07/2010 20:47  

I would def be up for this, I should be up and mobile by then

Update Reply
drobess @ 20/07/2010 20:51  

Will put my thinking cap on about people we can approach in the Lakes for donations etc

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 20/07/2010 20:53  

Thanks everyone, I know its a while off but its going to take a lot of Work from everyone involved, so as many ideas as possible.

Especially ... if you know someone with a Van hire co ... or a petrol franchise

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/07/2010 21:05  

Sounds like a plan Shell, now where did i put my 'Pink Panther' suit?x

Update Reply
ledd777 @ 20/07/2010 21:46  

Have you perhaps considered differing daily mileages for different groups? Most of the experienced female bikers I know wouldn't consider 60 to 100 miles a ride out lol! But I of course also understand that this sort of mileage would be more suited to inexperienced riders and 125s.

However, sounds very good and is something that Roachy and I could well be up for, especially as this is a subject close to her heart.

Would be interesting to see further details later on in the year.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 20/07/2010 21:56  

Although a great cause etc. etc. I am conscious that unless there is a petrol franchise willing to support the event then members are taking time out from work and possibly losing out that way as well as putting fuel in their bikes, all of which money could be better utilised by the charity. Why not have a group of bikes doing local areas, using the dress code etc. and collecting as they go along but have it going on the same weekend nationwide? That way the charity has the maximum benefit of receiving funds, members are not too out of pocket, and the awareness is covered by dress code and getting out there talking to folk about both issues - female bikers and MacMillan. That way it would be local events teams organising their own version of the "run" and just liaising with each other so it's not such a logistical nightmare getting everyone together for one run. Just a thought

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/07/2010 22:25  

The ride is set to run alongside one that already takes place that weekend in Scotland RC and with luck we will get sponsors for the fuel ... The company I work for has already said they will donate £200 for fuel as it will count towards investing in people fir them when a donation to the charity will not ... It's being done over the bank hol weekend so will impact work as little as possible
Also to get the various permissions it is easier to do for one group on the move rather than several groups to go out in different places at the same time.

As for route Geoff that will depend on our route master lol we will intend to be stopping in the day for rests and to do street collections

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/07/2010 22:44  

don,t know if can do all 4 days but defo willing to help on this one cable ties nd leccy tape at ready !! (fixes all road side problems !!!!)lol

Update Reply
bigned @ 20/07/2010 22:51  

A Yeti in pink now that i have to see lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/07/2010 22:56  

ILL be up for this shell have sat nav lol will try and get some sponsors from down here if i can (must speak to jabecs she has had support from macmillion when her father died) has any one approched macmillion about this yet

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 20/07/2010 23:15  

I wish all those who are taking part, contributing, all the best for this as it was Macmillan nurses who looked after my eldest sister til she died. Good luck everyone!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/07/2010 23:23  

Hey Samurai lol Shell has been in touch with Macmillan already and has all the necessary details from them :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/07/2010 23:28  

Sponsor Macmillan through our company and have donated loads, but still up for it!!

Update Reply
Bat @ 20/07/2010 23:37  

Having been effected in this area and come out the other side, luckier than a lot of other woman ... I think its a fantastic idea Shell and Im def up for the weekend ride. 100% support on this one.

Update Reply
rockchick123 @ 21/07/2010 00:12  

Bit far off to say yet so will have to look closer to the time

Update Reply
JP @ 21/07/2010 04:31  

Thanks all

Sumo Jackie, Ian and I will be having a meeting Prob some point I august with Them, we are hoping that next year we can increase areas and do more than one ride ... Oh and I should have said 60 - 100 miles per stint ie between stop points not per day.
Lol

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 21/07/2010 05:22  

And by stint I mean am ride and pm ride... So basically couple of hours at a time , there will be time available too for you to take off ic you want to have some play time of your own :-)

125 riders and those not comfortable will have an easier shorter route

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 21/07/2010 07:39  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email