MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

3 Dead 2 Days

3 Dead 2 Days - Forums [Biker Match] 3 Dead 2 Days - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

3 Dead 2 Days

Hereford is a nice county to ride in, in fact anywhere on through to Wales is good riding. We have a problem though we get flooded by inexpeienced Sports bike riders they ride too close and overtake too late. They dont understand the road surfaces they ride on let alone understand there own abilities,,, A dry road aint always a safe one. My neighbour told me that 2 were killed yesterday,,, so I put a warning on FB,, but on my way home after a nice days riding I met a queue of traffic, when I reached the end I could see a bike spread up the road and in a hedge,, the white faced 20 year old police officer said that it had taken then 30 minutes so far to scrap the biker up and they were still searching,,,,,,, If your going to buy the big sports bike make sure you can actualy ride it,, do an advanced coarse and get some supervised track time,, but remember the highways aren't a race track, and they contain other people you might kill,,,,,

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 26/02/2012 18:50  

Happens all to often born again bikers think thay can ride a big sports bike. Thay think my old bonnie was fast and the truth is the sales man dont tell them ZX10R = 107MPH in 1ST with 5 gears still in the box

Update Reply
JP @ 26/02/2012 19:18  

Just been told of another fatal near Sennybridge. Similar sad beginning to last year when the weather started to improve.Although I cannot comment on these individual loses , riders of all motorcycles who have not ridden regularly since last summer should give themselves time to adjust to the handling and speed of their machines.It is so easy on a modern motorcycle to go quick ,its knowing how to react if you have to turn or stop quickly.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/02/2012 20:22  

This reminds me of the days when bikers used to leave Brands Hatch after a race meeting. Too many thought they were star riders and duffed it on the bend at the bottom of the aptly named "Death Hill" on the old A20. The bikes then were no where near as fast as the modern super bikes. Experience counts for everything. I am glad to be a plodder.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 26/02/2012 20:30  

Just heard when i got back today that a friend of mine's 25yr old son was pilly on a bike, the rider has took the bend to fast the bike has gone down at speed, unfortunately when he's come off he has hit the armco. It's touch and go as to whether he will survive the night.

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 26/02/2012 20:39  

Sorry to hear that bad news, makes me worry even more about my own boys.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 26/02/2012 20:52  

There's pleasure in speed no doubt, but I like to ride to somewhere and remember the views and the journey, the whole experience is biking not just getting from A to B as fast as pos

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 26/02/2012 21:02  

Why is this warning always only given to sports bike riders ?

Not all ride like idiots & its not only sports bikes that people buy & cannot handle.

Its a warning that any owner should heed as PJ said, especially if you have not ridden since last summer so may be a wee bit rusty.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 26/02/2012 21:07  

Sports bikes are involved in the majority of accidents throughout the Welsh boarders,, u only see the sports bikes on sunny days,,, the problem is no one cleaned the roads, filled the holes or took away the salt n grit, the bike tyre aren't designed for the road conditions at this time of year , very few riders change there tyres to match the season, hence put the dormant rider n the powerful bike out at the wrong time ,,, u get a funeral .

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 26/02/2012 21:49  

Good grief Gremlinmike , you'll be giving us your '' when I was a lad'' speech next lol.

A bike is a toy, not a form of transport. Stuffing it up the dike is all part of the fun.All part or the learni g curve. I've got too many dead friends to disrespect them by riding about like an old fanny . (May as well be on a car). Ride it like ya stole it , death or glory. ... Dusty... P.s. Is anyone wanting a lift down to the pick up a pilly day in July.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 26/02/2012 23:51  

I'l be riding my motorbike tomorrow , I now know three that wont be !!!! Never could see the point in killing ya self,,, Each to their own, I'm still gonna be pokin fanny with a smile on me face ,,, not a rear window n someone elses head on my mind. Guiness anyone or flowers n a donation

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 27/02/2012 00:46  

Up here the ambulance drivers call the road between Kirkby Lonsdale (Devils Bridge) and Settle, "Organ Donor Alley"....it's up to them that rides it

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 27/02/2012 01:03  

, u only see the sports bikes on sunny days,,, the problem is no one cleaned the roads, filled the holes or took away the salt n grit, the bike tyre aren't designed for the road conditions at this time of year , very few riders change there tyres to match the season, hence put the dormant rider n the powerful bike out at the wrong time

Well I and many other sports bike riders would disagree, I ride no matter what the weather not only on sunny days, and we don't all ride like we have a death wish or don't know what we are doing, and the rest of your warning goes for any other rider not just sports bikes. Not only sports bike riders buy bikes they cannot handle

Please don't tar us all with the same brush just cos of one or two that have acted that way!

That's like saying well most bike riders in accidents were wearing leathers so anyone in leathers will have an accident.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/02/2012 02:46  

Dustin666 I hope your coments are light harted (ride it like you stole it ) becuse if thats the way you intend riding on the pilly day I will ask you not to attend as this event is not the place for that stile of riding.

Update Reply
JP @ 27/02/2012 04:24  

Shell the the guys who died on the road this weekend in hereford were sports bikers thats all..... the tred on sports bike tyres aint up to the road conditions round here if ya going to push limits. (You cant change the conditions but u can change the riding habits )
You ride safe you stand a higher chance of staying alive,,, more speed more chancing the odds go against u on reaction time,, for u a and the people around u,, thats what killed the guy I saw, the blood stain went a good 50 metres up the road. Like wise if u come off wearing jeans n tee shirt u will leave flesh on tarmac,, wear some form of protective clothing be it leather the chances are u get away with bruises,,, I learnt that one early on

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 27/02/2012 08:59  

Hi Jp,

I learned to ride a bike when I was 11years old . At age 15 , no insurance, no licence, no helmet, I used to ride my triumph trophy (tr25w) to school.

My mate Terry was the first to die. 17 years old , he stuffed his honda 175 (they had pressed steel forks , like a stepthru) into a lampost.

Over the years,, so many dead friends.

But, you save your pennies, make your choices and buy your ticket.

Cars require less skill than a motorcycle.

Motorcycles require more human input than a car.

To obtain that motorcycle skill , you put your life on the line. Nuff said.

The light hearted comment was about 'pick up a pilly day' . You wouldn't catch me dead , chauffeuring around a bunch of wobbly arsed car drivers. Like I'm some exhibit in a freak show...Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 27/02/2012 09:06  

Please lets not turn this into an issue about pick up a pilly ,

If you guys want to discuss that please feel free to do so within that thread.

Mike I know what your saying , however I still stand by my comment of please dont tar all of us sports bike riders with the same brush, we are not all like that and its not only sports bike riders that dont wear the right clothing, I have lost count of the number of Harley/Cruiser riders I have seen in jackets with cut off sleeves on a nice day !

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/02/2012 09:42  

Oh my god,

it's bad enough the government telling us what to do without hearing it from brother (and sister)bikers.

FREEDOM

The correct clothing and riding style . Is a personal choice.

I've thrown it down the road several times and broken several bones.

It wouldn't be unusual to see me on the open road in flipflops shorts and a T shirt.

IT'S MY CHOICE

Those guys died, as a consequence of, doing what THEY chose to do.

IF, you want to ride a bike , get good at it , or get dead. Those are your choices...Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 27/02/2012 11:01  

Good topic Grelin mike , absolutey logic , but alas it will continue me thinks ..... road race machines for those who know their own limits always , get the grin factor safley not taking it to the limit .....my rant over ......

Update Reply
northlondon58 @ 27/02/2012 11:01  

Dusty IT'S MY CHOICE ... How do you explain that to the medic that has to come out to try to piece a rider back together, the fire brigade & people that have to clean up after the accident, or the child in the car that will have nightmares forever cos they saw what happened ?

I am not disagreeing with Mike, just at his ref to it only being sports bike riders,

There is a time and a place for riding like the wind & I agree, a public road is not the place & will never be the time.

You dont have to ride like your arse is on fire to get the grin factor

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/02/2012 11:06  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email