MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

the bikers code

the bikers code - Forums [Biker Match] the bikers code - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

the bikers code

It used to be that all bikers shared a common bond, an unspoken code of ethics and behavior that transcended words and was built on actions. There was never a bible written on this Biker's Code and there was no need for such. But the times are a-changin' and there seems to be a lot of new riders out there. These days the riders you see blastin' down the road are just as likely to be clad in shorts and sneakers as jeans and engineer boots. And the roughest, toughest-looking biker you pull up next to could be your doctor or lawyer and may be wearin' a Rolex watch under his leathers. There's nothing wrong with that, so long as these new riders learn the Code just as we old-timers did. Being a biker used to be about using your creativity to take a basket case old hawg and using only grit and ingenuity, turning it into a one-of-a-kind eye dazzler, then risking your life on the asphalt on a bike you made yourself out of pride. Bikers wore leather and grease because they knew cagers would just as soon run them down as look at them, so they had to be intimidating. We were a breed unto ourselves with no union, no support group, and in many cases, no family (they threw us out). We had to make it in the world of our own, against all rules, against mainstream society, and against all odds.We survived and prospered because of the Biker Code and we never took shit from anybody. As an old scooter bro once said, "It's every tramp's job to school the young. How else are they gonna know a Panhead from a bed pan?" With that in mind, we bring you a primer on the basic two-wheeled Code.Take heed, brothers and sisters, for our Code is a hallowed one filled with honor and loyalty, the likes of which have not been since the days of knighthood: Don't take any shit. Be kind to women, children and animals, but don't take any bullshit. This is an essential part of being a biker. It has to do with respect and honor. Anyone can be a quick-tempered fool. Be cool, stand tall and backup what you say with action. Never lie, cheat or steal. Another way of saying this is to always tell the truth. Bikers are always the greasy bad guys in the movies, but every real biker knows that his word is his bond. Your word is all you have in life that is truly yours. Guard it carefully and be something noble, for you are a true knight of the road. Don't snitch. If you see a wrong, fight it yourself, if you are about anything you'll take care of problems yourself and never feel the need to snitch someone off. Snitches are the lowest life forms on earth, right up there with biker thieves. Don't Whine. Absolutely no one likes or respects a whiner. Another way to say this is hold your mud. Still another way to think of it is, "Don't sweat the small stuff" Most of life's little inconveniences work themselves out whether you whine or not. Keep your chin up, dammit! You're a biker, not some lowly snail.. Never say die and never give up. Whether it's in a fight, a debate, or a business deal, no matter how bad it gets, a biker never gives up. Help others. When a brother or sister is broken down by the side of the road, always stop and help them. Even moral support, if that is all you can give, is better than riding on by. Remember life is about the journey, the ride, not getting there. You already are there. And don't just help bikers, show the world that we are better than our image portrays us. Courtesy costs you nothing and gives you everything. Stick to your guns. Do what you say you'll do, be there when you say you will. This is called integrity. This also goes back to standing for something. Like the song says, "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." Life is not a drill. Yeah, this ain't no dress rehearsal. This is life -- go out and take big bites of it. You've got no time to lose and bikers don't stand around waiting for the party to come to them. You only go around once. Tomorrow you could be road kill, thanks to a chain smoker asleep at the wheel of his Caddy. Live life now, make the most of each moment. All right, now let's review. You are a biker, a modern-day knight of the road. Protect the weak, walk tall and stand proud. Your word is your bond. Stick to your guns. Don't take any shit. Life is not a drill. Now go forth and ride. When in doubt, ride. That's what we do...ride. If you want to ride around in a Day-Glo Hawaiian shirt and sandals, go for it, but if you intend to look like a idiot, at least don't act like an idiot. These commandments are just a few of the broad strokes, there is a lot more to being a biker than buying a bike. If you just buy a bike, you are a motorcyclist. Being a biker is a way of life, a proud way of life we hold in high regard with a burning passion for the open highway.‘nuff said!!!

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 11/01/2012 17:58  

wow mad mic,thats why i joined this site,to meet good honest people. brilliant post.

Update Reply
susiesue @ 11/01/2012 19:29  

Well said!!! if only everyone thought like you

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/01/2012 19:47  

mic I would add that u always stand by yr mates, even if they r in the wrong. You tell them they are wrong, but u still stand by them, 'cos they r yr mates.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/01/2012 19:59  

Mic where did you get that from, it has a lot of Americanisms in it?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 12/01/2012 00:41  

LLH&R

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 12/01/2012 02:14  

What complete and absolute utter pap!

Methinks you've been reading too many American bike mags.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 12/01/2012 09:24  

Wildhogs,,,,,,LOL

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 12/01/2012 13:56  

try commuting into london every day the ar**holes that ride 2 wheels there in the morning are many!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/01/2012 14:05  

reading the above replies just goes ta prove there is pro`s and con`s as well as 2 sides to every coin ...............

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 12/01/2012 22:58  

Got to agree tho...coming to biking later in life, I have found the loveliest,kindest,most down to earth friends anyone could wish to have. I'm proud to be a small part of the bigger picture

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 12/01/2012 23:31  

One of the most important parts of the code is that u get the beers in on yer birthday Ain't that right, Alice

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/01/2012 00:19  

I believe your words are spoken from the heart and with passion. It is what a man should do. Yes there are two sides to every coin, as there are two sides to every story, .. although there is usually only one that is right. The fact that your views will not be embraced by all who read them, in-turn signifies their relevance.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/01/2012 01:05  

I suppose I am a biker or motorcyclist have been for years.... ....but even if I wasn't, I am a good person with morals, and most of what Mad mic wrote about describes me and many others in this world without bikes .... You get good and bad people in all walks/areas of life, theres no changing this. I don't follow 'The Code' .....

Update Reply
missme @ 13/01/2012 05:54  

not sure about "lables" and the whole, one size fits all type of aproach to "bikers" but i do agree, the folk i`ve met that i want to spend more time with, tend to have most/all of the properties mentioned, and the folk i`ve met who do not, well then i vote with mt feet. (no, XK, not litterally, my feet are not so tallented, heaven knows i`ve just about managed the written word with my hands) code? heck most of the highway cade sometimes.

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 13/01/2012 14:45  

p.s. bad penny, is your writing lighter on your computer too? or are my eyes finally getting less than perfect?

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 13/01/2012 14:46  

Bikers Code? yer specially at this time of the year, a good hot bath would sort that out
Behaving in a manner which adds to the enjoyment of yours and others lives is never going to be a bad thing, so on the whole I would say it was a grand set of rules, even if some people don't wish to adhere to them, even if the delivery was a bit Mercan

Update Reply
d-w-b-h @ 13/01/2012 15:57  

A code for bikers!?..not so sure. Most of it is how a decent member of society should! react but then, paradoxically, there are parts that turn their back on society and call for the individual to live by a code unto themselves, regardless of the short and long term consequences. So, whilst on the surface it looks good, buried not so deep below the surface there's an anti social anarchy seeping through. 'Never ever snitch'...what's that all about then. Are we to be judge and jury within this 'code'...see to our own. Not for me i'm afraid, whilst i've met some thoroughly decent hells angels in my life, i wouldn't want to adopt their 'code' as my own. First and foremost, we are nice, decent and caring folk who have a care and compassion for other human beings..secondly, we ride motorbikes. In my humble opinion, the 'code' should be to hold these values and preferred modes of transport in balance with the society we choose to live in, not, certainly not, to create a separate parallel society with laws of our own. I think that we should 'ride with pride' with and because of, not despite, the society we live in today. PS..all said within the confines of holding the greatest respect for the original poster. No disrespect intended. ..icey

Update Reply
iceybusa @ 14/01/2012 16:53  

like most things in life not everyone will be same but i think bikers are closer or better than most. The exception to that rule is hard nosed back patch MCC's or some HOG who both wouldn't give you time of the day.

I would stop for any biker regardless of patch/club or bike if I thought they needed help. This I have done loads of times when up highlands and found peeps needing help. As a biker I do still feel my word is my bond and will stand up against something I see is wrong.

The problem with today is that people need to put everything into a category...mostly by people who don't know, can't understand or too stupid to understand

It's what you do that counts not what someone else has written down

Update Reply
madscots @ 14/01/2012 18:29  

Sshhhh!, whisper it not.

I'm going to let you all in to a little secret and it might shatter the illusions/delusions of a fair few people out there...

There is no such thing as the 'Bikers Code'.

Its a myth.

I hate to break it to you folks, but we are people, just like everyone else, with the good, the bad and all points in-between, who just happen to ride bikes.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 14/01/2012 19:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email