MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

attendees lists are you for them or against them

attendees lists are you for them or against them - Forums [Biker Match] attendees lists are you for them or against them - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

attendees lists are you for them or against them

Hi folks i would just like to know if you think my attendee lists are needed or not. I was one of the first people to use them and need them for 5 reasons.

One; there is sometimes a limit on how many people can attend so need to know numbers. [i have not had to turn anyone away yet]

Two; i sometimes organize food for party's at events so need to know numbers so as not to order to much food as this as to be payed for.

Three; at the larger rally's i try to save an area for BM members to camp together so need to know approximate numbers.

Four; on one day rideouts if i know who's joining me than i know who to wait for.

Five; when camping i like to tell site owners how many are attending so they know how many are coming. [it may get you a better price]

So what do you think, do i need an attendees list or not.

To whom this may concern i would like this post to go on the Active Topics list so the max. amount of members see it

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 06/10/2011 03:09  

Yes Bill i think you should carry on with the attendees lists. For the BM events i think your five points are spot on. For the major non-BM events, where there is likely to be a good turnout, i still think they're a good idea, as people can see who is going from their area and can use the info to arrange en-route meets, pillys, or whatever. They also help to get the banter going. (if you add your name to one of these lists is it a verbal contract?)

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 06/10/2011 04:28  

no not a contract as things do change, you can always drop out but it's best if you can let the organizer know

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 06/10/2011 05:00  

I do have concerns that we get list for this list for that if there is a need then yes put it on I just get fed up going over pages of stuff trying to find a forum due to being lost in stupid posts about what is your favorite etc

Update Reply
JP @ 06/10/2011 05:06  

For me An attendees list is only going to tell you which full members are defo going, or want food, or want to go on a ride out as standard members cannot post.

For any of the above reasons IF as Trish said people Listed in the events page are being PM'd (tho there is evidence that this does not get done) to find out, then a list is a waste of time, as the organiser will know the answers via pm.

I agree in a list when gauging who would like this event as it's easier to see if it's a viable idea, but again will not take into account those members who are standard members....

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 06/10/2011 06:14  

Whilst I completely understand the reasons, like JP, I don't think repetitive posting on a forum is very efficient and it completely bloats the topic with sometimes hundreds of postings containing virtually the same info, especially when you consider that adding yourself to the event is supposed to mean the same thing.

I see some value in being able to group attendees where there are (increasingly) different start/meeting points geographically, but again think this is an easier enhancement to consider for the events page rather than the forum.

As for the reliability of event attendees v forum attendees, events are currently a much too casual "click" compared to re-posting a 300 character (previous) post. Contrastingly, the membership level required for forum posting weeds out both time-wasters but also genuine (standard) attendees.

It could be perceived forum posting are more reliable as they under-promise and over-deliver where the events is the other way round, yet neither works well enough IMHO.

Update Reply
desres @ 06/10/2011 07:51  

With chums I've organised two events and in the process of planning another. Having a list was invaluable for us. I'm with Bill on this one

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/10/2011 08:18  

Agree with some of the comments made and here's another reason why the Events Board alone doesn't always work. If a person has added their name to the events board and then they either deactivate or remove their account, then they are 'gone' from the events page. However, if they have added their name to an 'Attendees List', at least their name remains and event organisors can contact them if need be.

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 06/10/2011 08:18  

That's if you want to read all of the 200-300 randomly structured posts, interspersed with liberal deviation from topic.

So much easier NOT to delete from removals from Events page but simply to "hide" them from general view. Gives administrators and (potentially) event owners (with either an "admin" view or a query tool) the opportunity to quickly sift through the available information and to analyse.

Update Reply
desres @ 06/10/2011 09:17  

This may seen a very simply but if the event organizer needs a list then he or she can start it but only if thay need it so if bill has an event only he would start a list if it was needed not me or any other member

Update Reply
JP @ 06/10/2011 09:49  

This is what I said on the 'Calendar Attendance' thread: My proposal is that when someone puts their name down on the calendar, a pm is automatically generated saying 'Thank you for wishing to attend this event. Should you not be able to attend, please remove yourself from the event'. Then, the day before the event, another pm is automatically generated saying, 'Are you still going to this event? Please remove yourself if not'. And maybe a final pm after the advent, 'We hope you enjoyed this event. If you couldn't attend, please remove yourself from this event, and hope to see you next time'. This should give a fairly accurate number of actual attendees, and will include both standard and full members alike.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/10/2011 09:59  

Xk don't you think Matt has more important things to do than spend hours nurse maiding members who can't be bothered to click on a buttons

Update Reply
JP @ 06/10/2011 10:21  

Same old rope,,,,,Do whatever is needed by whoever is the organiser at the time,,,after all it is thier event and choice as to which way they want to do things,,,,,pro's and con's will be found by some for all... Lets just give credit to the organisers and respect the way they want to do things,,,,if we dont like things its a free country and we can just move on... I think they do work for camping space etc and ltd no's etc,,,but again its the organisers choice !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/10/2011 10:50  

jp, please note the word 'automated' Once the system is set up, it requires no 'nursemaiding'. It is a one-off exercise for Matt, and up to him as to whether or not it is worth his time.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/10/2011 11:36  

Another suggestion would be that if someone requires a list THEY pm all the standard members who are down to attend if they get a reply of yes I want to go then they can be added to any list.

Before now I have had standard members that I am in contact with ask me 'as I cannot post in the attendees list does that mean I cannot go' I have then reassured them they can still go and added names. However I am sure there are standard members who have thought this but not been able to ask.

Still will not solve those who for one reason or another don't make it, even when we do have a list some people on it don't/cannot make it on the day.

Have to say XK's auto pm is about the best solution offered at the moment for the reduction of attendees who did not attend

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 06/10/2011 12:53  

its alot easier to see the events then on the forum, and also to see who is attending (for gettting in touch and organising journeys/lifts).
no it isn't 100% foolproof, but nothing really is, it's not causing major problems so I would say keep it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/10/2011 13:26  

Because of the misuse of the events page, which if used properly should suffice, these extra lists are essential for some events for the reasons Bill gave!

Update Reply
YID @ 06/10/2011 15:21  

Well, I for one am 100% in favour of keeping the attendees list.
As Bill has stated, it`s invaluable for the person organising an event to see just how many people are interested and by adding yourself to the list, gives an idea as to the numbers of people who are attending your ride-out/party/rally/camping weekend etc.
If this list was to be scrapped, the poor person organising an event wouldn`t have any idea if no-one, or 200 people would be likely to turn up.
Also, it`s always nice for folk who are genuinely going to attend an event to see if any of their mates from the site are going too.

And finally.........So what if some people put their names down and don`t bother to attend. It`s their loss at the end of the day!!!

Update Reply
podnil @ 06/10/2011 15:27  

Yes i too think there is definately a place for attendee's lists as has been pointed out by Bill I ,for one , always put my name on them if i'm going and i like to follow them to see who's going and who we can hook up with ......Keep them going i say .........HB x

Update Reply
honda baby @ 06/10/2011 17:12  

I would just like to clarify I am not against them, but feel that if they are there for the reasons stated then something needs to be done so that the standard members who want to go are taken into account

You book camping space for 30 tents and an additional 10 standard members turn up .... Pointless list,

You sort food for the above 30 campers and actually you have 40 needing it cos standard members were not taken into account ... Pointless list

More so poor standard member gets to travel alone whilst all others can group up for the journey.

As I said not against them but they need tweaking so all intending to attend are represented after all these get togethers are not just for full members and many who started off as standard have gone onto being full members once they have an event. So let's take them into account a little more :-)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 06/10/2011 18:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email