MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

When did you tell your parents you'd got a bike?

When did you tell your parents you'd got a bike? - Forums [Biker Match] When did you tell your parents you'd got a bike? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

When did you tell your parents you'd got a bike?

I'm curious to know when you told your parents or family that you'd bought your first bike.

I've been speaking to friends about their experiences and some of them went for months, even years without telling their parents.

One friend told me about how her brother kept his bike in the shed at the bottom of the garden for about 6 months before their dad found out.

Anyone got a similar story?

BTW, I still haven't told my mum and I've had my bike about 6 weeks. Worse still my son and I did our CBT's together!

Yeah I know I'm a bit old for keeping secrets from my mum, but I know she'll just worry about me and I'll get 'Oh Lisa why have you done that?' and 'You be careful'. I wouldn't mind but my my dad used to have one years ago.

Oh well, I'll tell her soon. - Probably just turn up on it one day and watch her jaw drop

Update Reply
lisaj @ 08/07/2011 20:11  

My old man bought me a moped when I was 16 which he couldn't really argue about because he'd always taken me pilly on his.

My folks have always reluctantly supported my bike habit which is even more surprising because I lost my brother in a car accident when he was 19 - I guess they figure it's that or complete mental meltdown! Really don't know what I'll do if my boy acquires a fondness for bikes. Hypocritical not to support him in it - bikes remind you you're living :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/07/2011 20:15  

I come from a biking background (grandfather built them, uncle raced etc) so I have been fortunate in that my parents have always supported me and even encouraged me. They bought me my first bike when I was 13 even though I had been riding them from aged 5.

On the flip side though, when my son passed his test and bought his first bike, people would ask him "what does your mum think". He says its quite amusing seeing the expression on their faces when he tells them I'm cool about it as I have my own bike He says it soon ends the conversation, lol.

Update Reply
gixergal @ 08/07/2011 20:24  

I did my CBT Feb 2009, took some lessons & got my 125 in the June.

Mom knew I had a bike but dad didn't ... took my MOD2 Feb 2010 & passed, told mom & told her what my big bike was which I already had...

Mom told dad in May 2010, dad saw my bike for the 1st time June this year when he was cat sitting & had to go in the garage for something & apparently came out saying to mom, 'so thats her bloody thing in there'

He is not against motorbikes, quite likes them, just doesn't think his little girl should be riding round on one, lol corse he says its all Ians fault for encourageing me to do my CBT & then in getting a bike

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/07/2011 20:25  

i bought a yamaha moped when i was 19 to get to work , dad made me ride it round the avenue just to make sure i wasnt gonna fall off it,

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 08/07/2011 20:26  

Wonder what he'd say if he could have seen your dismount last sunday? yep - I'm not gonna let u forget it - wot a plonker!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/07/2011 20:30  

I've heard a number of tales like this over the years, but my favourite was from a guy who came to Wales with me and a few mates and totalled his bike.

That evening he muttered, "How am I going to tell the wife?"

When we suggested that there was no point keeping it from her, he pointed out that she didn't even know he had a bike!!

Turns out he used to keep it in a friend's garage, who also had a bike and used to explain the bike gear by telling his missus that he was going for a ride of his mate's bike. Unbeknown to her of course, he was going round to his mate's and getting HIS bike out lol!!

Perhaps even worse, he'd explained the weekend in Wales by telling her that he was going on a course organised by work!

And now he was having to face going home to tell her that he'd lied about the weekend away, lied about going out on his mate's bike and that he'd spent several thousand pounds that was now gone on a bike that she didn't even know existed lol!

That weekend was in fact the first time I'd ever met the guy .... and the last lol!!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/07/2011 20:42  

boody starts her limbering up exercises and gives xk that "once more" look !!!!!>>> jackie chans the sofa in threatenin manner

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 08/07/2011 20:46  

I bought my first bike when i was 15 years old, a BSA 250 Starfire....my parents got told when i was 17 and my dad tried to get rid of it...........Ohhhh pops, it was always gonna happen :)

Update Reply
wenders @ 08/07/2011 21:05  

First time i got on a bike i fell off and broke my collar bone......maybe i should have been told how to stop it!!!

So when at 18 i asked my mum if i could have one to get to my early shifts across town (i was a nurse) she said no.......so i said i would have to live in the nurses accommodation ,she soon relented.....she even came pillion with me despite having recently having a hip replacement.

Wow.....what i wouldn't do to take her out now on my new one.

Update Reply
loving it @ 08/07/2011 21:16  

My parents didnt have much choice - i just turned up with a bike at 12 which I had just ben given, off roader of course.

Update Reply
potnoodles @ 08/07/2011 22:26  

My dad didn't want me to get my moped when I was 16 and but he hoped I would get fed up of being cold and wet and get a car at 17.
But I bought a 200cc Honda. Then when I got knocked off it and dislocated my knee I promised never to ride that bike again. but my dad wasn't impressed because when the dealer had repaired it, I part exed it for a 400cc Kawasaki But I kept my promise I didn't ride the Honda after the accident. My dad gave up trying to get me to buy a car after that.

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 08/07/2011 23:12  

told em i was getting one from the age of 7 then when I was 15 mum told my dad let him get a moped then he'll have his fussy out on that and wont bother with a bigger bike HAHAHAHA wrong !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 09/07/2011 14:15  

When I was 17, my parents bought me my first bike. 'Happy Birthday, son. Now fek off an leave us alone' Passed my test shortly afterwards. This meant I could take pillys. Lost my virginity very soon afterwards!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/07/2011 14:52  

it was my dads idea really - Id passed my car test and was thinking about a car but he said a little bike may be easier to get to work - so I bought a Honda NS125R - "Not quite what I had in mind" he said when he saw it. Whatever he really had in mind I don't know

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/07/2011 18:26  

@1yoghurt - yes they do remind you you're living. I'm just starting to live again now I've got mine

@ Shell - I'd have probably told my dad first if he was still alive..... I told my big sister though! Maybe she'll tell my mum for me

@geoffb - I like it! That's a classic! He's a brave man keeping something like that from his missus

Update Reply
lisaj @ 09/07/2011 18:58  

I wanted to get a moped when I was 16, but mum and dad wouldn't buy me one and I couldn't afford to get my own.

Instead they paid for driving lessons and put me on their car insurance so I had transport whenever I wanted - It worked! For a while anyway!

I got my wish in the end though

Update Reply
lisaj @ 09/07/2011 19:06  

Brother had a couple of bikes when he was 16, I was 13 and started my fad with bikes. got a job in my school hols then bought bike trader every week until dad gave in to his little girl having a 50cc for the fields. He taught me the basics (oops first time I threw him off the back!)

sold it at 17 to get my car (i know should never be sensible!). Dad thought it was out of my system until I turned 25 when i did CBT but didn't tell anyone till I had passed and told him I wanted to look for a 125. Bike bought - 2 years later had to sell it to buy my house, could never afford another. 10 years later here I am again back wanting a bike - savings plan due to end soon so my poor dad has to go through it all again - mums none too chuffed either lol

Update Reply
chickflick75 @ 09/07/2011 22:50  

Dad said i couldnt have a bike .Talked him in to it when I was 19 because I needed it to get to work.only had it aweek when some knob in a vw beetle pulled out on me.Front wheel ended up in the engine I learnd to fly . And the cheeky bleeder went to get off in the car. luckey for me there was a lad fixing his bke who stop the knobtill the police came . that was 30 odd years ago and hes still amate

Update Reply
321johno @ 09/07/2011 23:37  

my older brother had bikes and a school friend kindly gave me his 125 when he passed his test (was an mz but even so, pretty generous!) my parents were always ok - think they were a bit concerned when i got my first proper bike - a stan stephens tuned rd400 aka the willy shrinker!! then i discovered their concern was for the neighbours due to the noisy allspeeds!! i dont think they realised what it was capable of though!! pound for pound, that bike was pure grin factor!! x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/07/2011 23:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email