MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

When did you tell your parents you'd got a bike?

When did you tell your parents you'd got a bike? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] When did you tell your parents you'd got a bike? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

When did you tell your parents you'd got a bike?

Although I passed my test in my mid twenties I didn't get a bike of my own till I was in my forties, mum would never allow us bikes when we were kids, according to her they were far too dangerous. My first one was a gpz500 and as I lived 130 miles from their place I just had to ride it there, I hadn't told her I'd bought one and when I got there the only thing she said was "oh you've got one of them have you" me dad never said a word, didn't even mention it, so when I asked my mum what the real reason for her dislike was her reply "your dad was always on them but spent more time on top of the hedges than he did riding them" the subject of my bikes never came up again, what really intrigues me is that I am one of 9 kids and I'm the only one who likes bikes all the others hate them, so where do I get this from. :-)

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 10/07/2011 09:37  

I had the normal arguments with the parents when I first wanted a bike, but it wasn't until I passed my test and wanted a 250 that I got the "NO" treatment.

My issue was that I needed a loan and being only 17 couldn't get one without my Dad acting as guarantor. However, after a few weeks of sulking, whinging and generally acting like a c*ck, I kind of got my way.

They agreed to act as guarantor for me as long as I agreed to take a loan for more than I needed and then bought a small car with the money left over after buying a 250. To which I accepted.

The issue came when I went into the bike shop and was pointed towards a CX500, previously out of my price bracket, but that I could now afford lol!!

My Mum hit the roof and gave me the "Wait until your Dad gets home" thing. However, secretly loving bikes himself, when he did get home all he could say was "Big, ain't it?" lol!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/07/2011 09:39  

LOL Lisa I would have told dad, but even at 43 I he still looks on me as his little girl (yes I am an only child) so doesn't like me doing anything he thinks as dangerous,

Mom & I are like sisters, I can tell her anything & she usually sweetens dad up for any shocks lol and tells him when he is in a good mood.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 10/07/2011 18:36  

I went round the day i passed my test, Dad had his reservations but was cool with it... after all not alot he could do about it really.. !!

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 10/07/2011 18:48  

Early last year I had a conversation with my sister and brother. He's always been a biker & was the one who started the bug off many years ago. I don't see him often these days and I told him about having a go at doing my CBT in 2009, but I got my trouser leg caught round the gear change & fell off & cracked ribs, so didn't go back & complete it (duh)...my sister was absolutely horrified
Then last summer out of the blue she just said, "please promise me you won't get a bike...I don't think you'll be very good at it" (thanks sis). I told her I couldn't promise that and evaded telling her that I was planning to buy a 125 & do my CBT I'm a bit ashamed to say I still haven't fessed up what I've been up to and the longer I leave it the harder it gets!!!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 11/07/2011 23:04  

LOL Minnie. That's how I am at the moment....

The longer I leave it the harder it's getting. I don't see my mum every week but when I do it's on the tip of my tongue to tell her. The problem is we're going away together at the end of the month (my mum, my sister and me), and I'm just going to blurt it out I know it.

Update Reply
lisaj @ 12/07/2011 09:26  

i didn't, I saw my dad had nicked it and was riding it to the pub

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/07/2011 15:01  

Mum was an ambulance driver and all things remotely dangerous were strictly forbidden (skateboards, chopper bikes etc) . Miraculously my Dad conned my Mum into getting a little moped with a basket as a sly way of getting a small bike for himself. I just thought, "I'll have some of that", and a week later I had a CG125. Two weeks later my little bro had one too.... Well played Dad! Mum still can't figure out how we pulled it off.

Update Reply
desres @ 12/07/2011 23:06  

my dad had bikes, it was always expected i would get one, i'd of been in a load of trouble if i hadn't !!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 12/07/2011 23:48  

First sat as a pilly at the age of ... 42 lol, then that was it, wanted one of my own - so bought a cbr 125 and did 11,000 miles on it and now goy my baby ninja :-) and have done 6000 miles since Dec lol !!! my Dad is 75 and is very jealous - butmum not a happy bunny about me having a motorbike "death trap" thingy.

Update Reply
kazninja @ 13/07/2011 08:31  

Shh I still haven't let on and mum is 79

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 13/07/2011 18:52  

Mum & Dad were both bikers and I grew up with them in the lounge, kitchen sink - you know, the usual places bikes live - and when I told them I was getting rid of my GTR1000 to have children, they almost had simultaneous coronaries! Now I'm back in the saddle, (no jokes please!), everyone is thrilled and they are now speaking to me again

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/07/2011 19:46  

Told my mum about my bike today today!

She just said 'Oh have you? What sort is it?'

No 'what have you done that for? No tutting, No shaking the head, nothing like that. Just a little smile, and 'Oh have you?'

I think perhaps, as far as I'm concerned, nothing surprises her any more.

Update Reply
lisaj @ 06/09/2011 14:12  

I bought my first bike aged 18 out of my papaer round money a suzuki A100) . It lasted a year the I borrowed £200 of my mum to buy a Honda cb125 twin and then my love affair with Hondas began lol. My mum was never keen on me having a bike but I don't think she raised any objections as she thought I would grow out of it!
Never have lol

Update Reply
IanT1966 @ 06/09/2011 15:26  

Telling my mum I had bought a bike was easy . . . Explaining that part of the deal had involved half a dozen of her ducks and 2 geese was the tricky bit .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/09/2011 15:44  

You must have been quackers! (r u allowed to groan at yr own bad jokes?)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/09/2011 15:48  

Nowt wrong with that joke its tried and tested . . The joke on me was if I had tied the ducks to my push bike and got them to drag me around it would probably have been faster than the c90 was .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/09/2011 15:54  

One thing she did as was if my son (who's 20) now wanted one!

She seemed more relieved when I said he wasn't bothered

Update Reply
lisaj @ 06/09/2011 15:55  

Thats called being put in your place that is . :-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/09/2011 16:03  

First grandchild, blue eyed boy - What can I say?

Update Reply
lisaj @ 06/09/2011 16:09  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email