MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Numb bum!!

Numb bum!! - Forums [Biker Match] Numb bum!! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Numb bum!!

When I bought my bike a couple of months back it came with a gel touring seat that seems a bit too firm. I've taken the seat off to see if there's any adjustment to be had but it's just a solid piece of whatever. I took a pillion on the other night and she was complaining of a sore bum after only 30 miles.

Is there something available to soften the load a bit. I know about the gel pads etc but I was thinking more of a cover to put on it. Somebody mentioned sheepskin which sounds fantastic but white fur on a touring bike would look a little crap!!

Any suggestions that won't break the bank??

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 19/08/2010 10:42  

How about a fiberglass seat cowl. No pillion, no problem.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 19/08/2010 10:50  

Eeeh I didn't think of that Phil, thanks for the quality advice

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 19/08/2010 10:52  

I know someone who uses cycle shorts under their leathers to soften the blows.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 19/08/2010 11:00  

get a pillion with a big squashy bum...they do have their uses

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 19/08/2010 11:16  

Don't do big and squashy Minnie, there's enough of me for that

It's not just the pilly either. I can only do an hour or so before the fidgeting sets in

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 19/08/2010 11:19  

A good seat maker will use different densities of foam and/or gel dependant on the customers requirements.

Many however will do a "standard" alteration based on the bike, especially of the pillion seat and the end result is often too firm and uncomfortable where gel inserts are concerned.

I'd be tempted to try and find another seat from a breakers.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 19/08/2010 14:00  

As in a standard seat Geoff or take a chance on another custom jobby?

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 19/08/2010 14:08  

A new standard seat should help. I find they only last about 20k before the they lose their 'squish' Cycling shorts also get my vote, with the added bonus that you've got something to wear, under your leathers, when you arrive. Lycra's a definate no-no tho

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 19/08/2010 14:38  

scrappy(scrapyardmonster) bought a new seat pad for his bmw rusty and he traveled from gloucester to york with no stops! he said its brilliant, just strap it on and take it off when u get there,instead of stopping for a break to get feeling back he came straight through no problems,, drop him a pm im sure he will be happy to tell you which one he bought xx bood xx

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 19/08/2010 14:49  

Thanks for that Rob. I think I'll give the cycling shorts a miss though!

bood I'll pm scrappy now, that might well be the way to go, cheers for the info xx

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 19/08/2010 15:06  

M&P still selling them Corbin seats Tezz look good but they aint cheap at £400 a pop !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 19/08/2010 19:29  

£400!! Neal

Makes the cycling shorts look appealing

Looks like a cushion and some gaffa tape then eh!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 19/08/2010 20:32  

Try a 2nd hand std seat. Sometimes a new seat needs breaking in and 2nd hand would be cheaper.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 19/08/2010 21:27  

Cheers for that yama,

I've had a look on fleabay and googled but nothing doing on the secondhand front at the mo. Shame as i've got a long ride planned for Sunday so it'll be a John Wayne walk when I get there!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 20/08/2010 10:31  

I'd contact partfinder or similar RK and get yourself a standard seat. Don't get another custom one.

If then you find you don't like the standard seat, you can have it altered to suit you, use your existing one whilst it's away and then flog the one you've got.

It would cost you in the short term, but you'd probably make a lot of it back.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 20/08/2010 12:49  

Thanks for that Geoff I'll contact partfinder now and see what's about

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 20/08/2010 13:08  

I agree with Geoff, partfinder- get seat- google seat modifiers- pick your cover (some do metalics to match your bike or a cover to your design) and they'll even sculpt the seat to your requirements and inset gel blocks and stuff- send the best of the two bases and foam to the modifier-get it back - sell the crap one or keep it to put on occasionally to remind yourself why you spent the cash (less than £150 usually). Ladies who are vertically challenged may like this too, coz the results are really proffesional so the bike still looks good, rather than having a seat that looks crap and is uncomfortable coz the foams too thin, these guys can put in a sponge/gel to meet the weight and height requirements.

Update Reply
2Tdreamin @ 20/08/2010 16:11  

Well i've contacted partfinder and entered the details so fingers crossed but i've also found this site that might be useful for anyone making or altering their seat:

diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

I've googled seat modifiers 2T but it comes up with a load of crap about toilet seats and office chairs

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 20/08/2010 17:16  

...crap about toilet seats LOL, pun intended Terry?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/08/2010 17:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email