MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Diesel on road

Diesel on road - Forums [Biker Match] Diesel on road - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Diesel on road

Just to say me and my pilly came through 2 roundabouts smelled diesel and when trying to stop at slowing cars front wheel locked on and on trying to manoever right [without brake] front end and us two skidding up road. BE AWARE ta MARTY

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/07/2010 18:17  

Marty - are you both OK mate????

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 17/07/2010 18:22  

Yes thanx just out of hospital 5 stitches to right knee leathers f;;kd bike totalled pilly scraped knee. [again]

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/07/2010 18:24  

Glad you are both ok

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 17/07/2010 18:31  

Ouch! Glad to hear you're both ok!

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 17/07/2010 19:12  

hope your fully comp and glad your both ok. diesel on wet is the most slippy thing known to man. get it on your shoe at petrol station and u struggle to stay upright

Update Reply
dunans @ 17/07/2010 19:15  

As long as your in one piece mate thats all that counts.....just get a claim in fast for it....there is a system for that so it doen't hammer your own insurance.... ....its all to often now the deisel on the road about time the police started prosecuting these idiots in cars and trucks who over fill the tanks to squeeze that extra 4 to 5 miles out of the tank but end up spilling it down the road instead......between Helston and Truro last year an HGV bled a 4 inch spill all the way for the best part of 11 miles on bendy roads...and they didn't even do him...sends out the wrong message.... should be careless driving spilling fuel like that..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/07/2010 19:25  

glad ur alright mate. Dont think it's so easy to find who's leaving the diesel on the road unless it goes right to their house.

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/07/2010 19:32  

Yeah I know mate been afew HGV's down here been reported for spilling on bends etc but to date as far as I'm aware nobody has been done for it..... shame.....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/07/2010 19:34  

As far as I can research this is how we stand on fuel spills Diesel Spillages and Motorcyclists Diesel spillages on roads can cause serious problems for any road users, but motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable. If a diesel spillage is caused by the act or omission of another party, and this causes an accident, they could be considered liable. For example, this could include the overfilling of tanks, failure to correctly secure caps or failure to repair defects in a vehicle or its tank. Unfortunately it is often very difficult to trace the party responsible for a spillage, so making a personal injury claim for this type of accident can be very difficult. However in some cases a claim can be submitted to the Motor Insurers Bureau where the offender can’t be traced. The Highways Authority do not have any duty to take active steps to ensure that their roads are free from diesel spillages, however they can be found negligent under the Highways Act 1980 if a spill is reported to them and they fail to take action to clear it. If you encounter a spill, have an accident or witness an accident caused by a spill, it is important to report this to the local authority and / or the police. Occupiers of premises such as petrol stations and vehicle depots have a duty to ensure that their property is in a safe condition for their visitors. If a hazard is identified, they have to take all reasonable measures to clear it, and they must be able to prove that they have a suitable inspection and cleaning system in order to avoid being held responsible for any accident.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/07/2010 19:40  

i have driven lorrys when helping out on the tour of britain cycle race and seen posters on the walls of the hire companies office telling you to fill the diesel tanks till they overflow befor you bring the lorrys back, what chance do we have

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 17/07/2010 19:53  

If that company has that on their wall Bill they can be held liable as they are encoraging a mal practise! I think a picture of said notice and the address of the company should find it's way to local police and local VOSA offices asap!!!!! And I think that MAG and BMF should be made aware of them also, if nothing is done directly then at least the two main Kill Spills lobbying groups should be made aware of these idiots!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 17/07/2010 23:43  

MD glad your injuries weren't more serious, sorry about your bike tho, hope you get sorted soon.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/07/2010 23:48  

Echo what kwak says MD & so glad you two are ok. I hit a patch of diesel in my car passing the carnforth truckstop on the M6 one wet night. Was overtaking and ended up spinning, taking out a length of armco barrier and writing off my car but luckily nobody injured. It's treacherous but you can't tell it's there until it's too late

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 18/07/2010 00:44  

Salford van hire if any one is intrested in Manchester

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 18/07/2010 00:52  

Bill, that's a bit cryptic for me, care to expand please?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 18/07/2010 07:56  

So glad you & your Pilly are OK MD ! It seems we are plagued with 'offs' & accidents this year, I cannot remember any last year! Thankfully all are still with us, but it does make you very aware that this happens .

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 18/07/2010 08:51  

if you see my entry on page one Kwak you'l see what it means

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 18/07/2010 19:50  

Emdee im glad you are both ok, and have only come out with minor injurie, not minor to you I know but it could of been a lot worse for both of you.

Update Reply
drobess @ 18/07/2010 20:53  

woops sorry to hear your plight Emdee glad you both ok tiz a flippin menace that deisil stuff the lorrys should have catch tanks to stop this happening its not like its a new thing is it

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 19/07/2010 18:54  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email