MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

What do you think is the best 400cc starter bike?

What do you think is the best 400cc starter bike? - Forums [Biker Match] What do you think is the best 400cc starter bike? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

What do you think is the best 400cc starter bike?

I should be passing my test within upcoming next months and was wondering what you think would be a good 400cc type starting bike?

Here's some I've been thinking of and if you are able to give your opinions and reasons for choosing them that would be really helpful to new bikers looking to pass their test without getting a big bike and having it restricted down to 33bhp don't want to waste soo much power.

Kawasaki ZXR 400
Suzuki GSXR 400
Suzuki GSF 400
Suzuki DRZ 400 SM
Honda VFR 400
Yamaha FZR 400

- My current favourites are DRZ 400 SM, GSXR 400 and the ZXR 400. 1991+ models on the last two models because of the pillion seats and tails are nicer on the newer models.

Update Reply
Paul @ 15/01/2010 19:05  

For me it's the VFR 400 as it is indestructible and singel sided swinging arm. I also had a ZXR in my youthful days and to get the best out if you had to rag the nuts off it - which I duly did!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/01/2010 19:11  

Whats the pillion seats like on the VFR 400? also I'm 6ft will it be fine size for me?

Update Reply
Paul @ 15/01/2010 19:17  

The DRZ's clearly a different type of bike to the others. I'm not convinced a 400 pocket rocket is ideal for a learner, they have to be ridden quite hard to get the best out of them. But that's coming from an old f*rt, so I guess not necessarily a shared opinion 500 / 600 twins would be my recommendation, resticted, if necessary.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 15/01/2010 19:19  

Whats the petrol consumption like though? 600's seem to be like 35mpg which is going to be horrible for me. 400 seem's much more better on the petrol.

Update Reply
Paul @ 15/01/2010 19:21  

I'd assume a 500/600 twin would be better than one of the race rep 400's. Given a (reasonably) sensible right hand, the twins ought to give at least 55/60 mpg, maybe more. Cheaper servicing, and I'd expect cheaper insurance groups, which may be a deciding factor for a relatively young rider.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 15/01/2010 19:43  

Can you name me some nice 500/600 twin bikes?

Update Reply
Paul @ 15/01/2010 19:48  

Paul you should try to get to the bike show at earls court, think its next month. good luck with the test,hope you will be joining us all for a ride out very soon

Update Reply
julie j @ 15/01/2010 19:51  

All the shows been cancelled due to the snow. Was going to go to the manchester bike show and was really looking forward to it with my friend :(

- And london is too far away for me to travel.

Update Reply
Paul @ 15/01/2010 19:52  

ER6 Kawasaki gets good reports CB500 Honda SV650 Suzuki Not got the image of the 4cyl 400's, but almost certainly more practical, and definately not boring/slow MotorcycleNews.com has road tests on most of them.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 15/01/2010 19:54  

My first "big" bike was a kwacker zxr400, It was a loony tune on wheels. I had a couple of VFR400's after that which were better all rounders but cost a lot more to service. The biggest 400 is the Kawasaki zzr 400 as these are just a 600 with a sleeved down engine. You would be better off going for an older CBR600 as these bikes will do absolutely everything without any nasty surprises. They take restriction well if you are going down that route and once de restricted are powerful enough for most people. Also being a bigger bike than a 400 it would suit your frame better. You must be comfortable to be in control.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 15/01/2010 19:59  

The SV 650 is a really nice bike but the frontpipe sticks out A LOT. looks like it needs a belly pannel on it.

Update Reply
Paul @ 15/01/2010 20:45  

Also can you restrict a bike that has a custom can? Because I hate stock cans they sound horrible. I like the real sound of the engine.

Update Reply
Paul @ 15/01/2010 20:59  

paul what ever you get your gonna thrash the pants off it any way so get the one you like mate ! and the restriction is usualy between the carb and header so end can shouldnt make any difference except tell the rossers your about good luck kid and dont do owt daft !!!

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 15/01/2010 21:13  

:) ZXR 400 or GSXR 400 it shall be then. but i've heard they bog out when restricted if not at high revs.

Update Reply
Paul @ 15/01/2010 21:24  

A lot of folk choose a 500cc, or higher, as their starter bike after passing their test. Whatever you choose good luck and safe journeys Paul

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/01/2010 23:22  

GigglyBB........music to my ears...LMAO..... better than hearing Blues have done the trebble......well, almost...maybe... For me it's the VFR 400 as it is indestructible and singel sided swinging arm. I also had a ZXR in my youthful days and to get the best out if you had to rag the nuts off it - which I duly did! Paul... This is of course an unbiased oppinion (coughs) of course, but.... VFR400R every time....plus points in my oppinion, agree with Giggly,indestructable, good fuel economy, sticks to the road like sh*t to a blanket, Still looks the part although quite an old bike, good at hacking your way through traffic. Narrow enough to ride in through the front door and park in the kitchen. Although I suspect that may be irrelevent if you live at home with your mom because moms seem to form an impeneterable barrier that prevent this from happening . Restriction is no probs. My youngest sons VFR400 is restricted to 33bhp and he still passes me when i'm doing 70 quite quickly....his top ends at just above 90. Plus he gets more mpg than me. Dont have the acceleration mine has though...well, it wouldn't. Down sides as i see it are as follows... No centre stand, so working on them are tricky unless you have paddock stands. There was no english workshop manual for the early NC21 although the haynes NC30 / 35 manual includes technical data for the NC21 / 24. Not good for pillions..the seat has the properties of greased weasle sh*t and there are no grab bars for the pillion to hang on to either so you have to be aware of this when accelerating hard or as in my case, dont open her up if you have a pily(better still dont have a pilly) . In addition I dont think they are the best bikes for strapping luggage on to without putting undue pressure on the side panels. The one thing they can suffer from is knackered collector boxes, whilst this is not a problem on most bikes, on the VF it is because it means taking half the bike apart. They are not the best to work on by any means. As for the size, they do have a low seat height which is why they were very popular with midgets and women. Have a look at my pics... I am 5' 6" and can sit with both feet on the deck and still have bent knees, although having said that my eldest lad is 6' 3" and he dont look out of place on it. ooooh nearly forgot.....most VF400's are grey imports so the clocks are in kmph so you need to do something about that.. I also have a Kwak ZZR400. I think this would make a better sports / tourer and more comfortable for pillions plus they have a bigger seat with some very clevver luggage hooks and easy to work on. Having said all that its just my oppinion..best to get out and about and see whats available I think. But for me at least, just like the highlander "there can be only one"

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/01/2010 01:00  

add 1200cc to it and get a suzuki vz 1600......i know i talk bol**ks but i dont care !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/01/2010 11:04  

I would forget those that would tell you one bike is better or worse cus you'll just get an uninformed opinion. make a list of bike you might like. try and get out and look at each bike in turn. sit on it and have a poke around. If it doesn't do it for ya then cross it off the list. eventually one will stand out for you. don't listen to biased opinions.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 16/01/2010 14:27  

if ur on restricted to 33bhp anyway , then they'll have pretty much the same oomph , being on the younger side o life insurance is gonna b ur biggest stinger , with 2yrs probation period u gonna have to watch the speed too .

i would say go get ur test done , then go see if u can get test rides , try em all b4 u buy , then decide which 1 suits u best

Update Reply
fastjock @ 16/01/2010 14:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email