MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Things that make you think 'wow I'm glad I live in the UK'

Things that make you think 'wow I'm glad I live in the UK' - Forums [Biker Match] Things that make you think 'wow I'm glad I live in the UK' - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Things that make you think 'wow I'm glad I live in the UK'

But hey, they "spared" her the lashing. Whoopdidoo.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jZqOn0xznd6hf3z4xi4bjallhB4w

We just don't appreciate how bloody lucky we are sometimes.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 13:40  

Article in full:

KHARTOUM — A Sudanese woman journalist was on Monday spared a whipping for wearing trousers, but a court instead fined Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein 500 Sudanese pounds (200 dollars), eyewitnesses said."I won't pay. I'd rather go to prison," Hussein told AFP by telephone, though her lawyers said they would try to persuade her to pay up.The eyewitnesses, speaking as they emerged from the hearing which was barred to the press, said the court had ruled that Hussein should be jailed for a month if she failed to pay the fine.Under Sudanese law, she could have been sentenced to a maximum of 40 lashes for "indecency" after being arrested with 12 other women wearing trousers in a Khartoum restaurant in July.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 13:41  

lash her i say! (oops did I say that out loud?) disclaimer regarding Cissy's sense of humour!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 07/09/2009 13:45  

See what your saying WB but if thats the law there then should it not be obeyed? If some more people here obeyed the law it would be a safer for people to live. Maybe we should bring lashing in over here for certain crimes.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2009 13:47  

*slaps Cissy & tuts loudly*

Here's me trying to be serious for a mo and look what happens!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 13:47  

Sowwy WB........ As RD says, if its the law in that country, who are we to say it is wrong? Maybe we should adhere more strictly to the laws of this land.

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 07/09/2009 13:49  

Speaking as a female who enjoys the freedoms afforded by her existence in a "western" society, I think this sucks. Not being permitted to wear trousers? Being guilty of "public indecency" by so doing?

It's the 21st century, not the 1st. These backward countries with their pathetic misogynistic legislatures should be dragged kicking and screaming into the present.

These are the countries where it is commonplace to stone rape victims to death.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 13:51  

Laws should not necessarily be obeyed unquestioningly. Stupid laws should be protested against and repealed.

Thankfully, we in this country had the Suffragette Movement to fight for the freedoms we now take for granted and not one single woman's brains have exploded due to the pressure of casting a vote during a General Election... Not that's been proven anyway

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 13:55  

Shuts up, cos I can see nothing there to disagree with WB.... Problem is, when we have so many people coming here and trying to change the way things are, and the way we do things, I tend to think we should leave other countries to their own devices, but am realistic enough to know that we can't always. did any of that make sense?

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 07/09/2009 13:55  

Yep - makes perfect sense... But I'm of the "no man is an island" school of thought... OK, so perhaps "we" shouldn't interfere and impose "our" will on another nation, but where there is gross injustice, I think we should encourage those fighting against it.

And we should also fight against those who try to impose their customs/beliefs on our way of life.

Mostly they're not though... Mostly it's thanks to our over-excitable media and the (generally "white, christian") do-gooders in local authorities imagining that things might cause offence to others, where there is none!

I still think I'm better off living in the UK, despite its faults.

I like being able to go out alone. To be allowed to drive my own car, own my own property, be employed, be self-employed, wear trousers, be in the company of a male who is not my husband or blood relative. Things that seem obvious to us here, but are unheard of (or highly illegal) in some countries.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 14:06  

Look what happens when you do go out alone and drive your car. Get pounced on by "The Man" for daring to drive and car impounded. You obviously can't be trusted alone WB. 30 lashes for you next week at your convenience,cos this is a diplomatic place to live!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2009 14:12  

And another 30 lashes for posting a direct link.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2009 14:13  

I couldn't agree more with WB....I am happy I live here in the UK despite its faults.....but I must admit I am coming back as a man in my next life...does have an awful lot of advantages even in this so-called democratic society!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 07/09/2009 14:17  

See what I mean? I'd rather have a fine and some points on my licence tyvm

Nice reminder there as it goes. Poxy NU/Aviva STILL haven't sent me proof of no claims, NOR have they given me written confirmation that they did, in fact, receive my payment for their insurance policy, after all. They say I paid too late and that they'd cancelled the policy, so I have no defence, but why they won't now at least confirm that I DID pay or that I have over 5 years' worth of no claims discount, I have no idea.

Time to go kick bottom again...

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 14:18  

You can't click on what I posted, so it's not a link

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 14:19  

Tsk,30 lashes for being clever.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2009 14:21  

Bugga!

*assumes the position*

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 14:22  

Meanwhile...it's back to learning web design on the fly... *ahem*

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 14:25  

Whatever she said (she being Wannabe aka Mrs)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/09/2009 16:34  

see below

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/09/2009 16:34  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email