MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Things that make you think 'wow I'm glad I live in the UK'

Things that make you think 'wow I'm glad I live in the UK' (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Things that make you think 'wow I'm glad I live in the UK' (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Things that make you think 'wow I'm glad I live in the UK'

Bleepin keyboard!! lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/09/2009 16:34  

Kwak,what the hell are you on about? Or just what are you on?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2009 16:44  

can I have some plese kwak

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/09/2009 16:52  

Ric, H.R.T. mate, how many do ya want? You want some of my keyboard hiccups Shell? You're welcome cos I don't want em lol I've already got a mouse with onion-itis lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/09/2009 17:01  

<--- totally and completely confused with kwak . you're right WB in some countries even with the same laws as we have here a woman cant attempt going out alone at night also unsafe to be living alone in your own home...only last year woman dressed in mini skirts at a taxi rank in joburg SA were stripped naked in public abused , and assaulted while the locals gathered around and cheered the perps on , and guess what ! nothing happened to them , apparently because their dress sense conflicts with the locals culture .Believe me its not's so bad here *yet*

Update Reply
excalibur @ 07/09/2009 17:05  

For those who didn't/don't know what I was on about my keyboard submitted my post 3 times. Simples!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/09/2009 17:07  

Ok kwak , but remember i'm always confused anyway lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 07/09/2009 17:16  

That's horrifying Billy - those poor women Bloody disgusting behaviour from the onlookers as well as the perpetrators.

I could never quite get my head around it when I worked on the doors, when you'd get the young girls wearing next to nothing, (those weird "handkerchief" so-called "tops" and skirts that almost covered their backsides) shivering outside the nightclubs, begging to be let in.

Yes, I do believe you should be able to wear what you please, but for goodness' sake! Be sensible! Wear a long coat over the top of it when you KNOW you're going to be stuck in a queue for at least 30 minutes outside a nightclub!

That said... Personally, I choose not to wear short skirts or tops with plunging necklines etc if I'm out alone or just in female company, particularly if I'm not driving e.g. travelling on public transport/taking taxis etc.

That may be considered hypocritical or contradictory of me, but I couldn't care less - my safety comes first... In the same way that I wouldn't go poke a sleeping tiger with a sharp stick, I wouldn't choose to have acres of flesh on display... It's simply not worth the risk. I don't think that women should be "blamed" or told that they were "asking" to be raped by going out in skimpy clothing, but it's been used as an excuse enough times by rapists, so I choose to err on the side of caution.

Although to be perfectly honest with you, I don't really know why, considering that the only time I've ever been attacked and narrowly escaped being raped, I was dressed in bleached out jeans, long baggy t-shirt and Doc Martens... go figure!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 17:31  

I wouldn't go out in anything that shows flesh, but that's more to do with preferring to hide myself than for fear of being attacked. Attacks on women are actually not as commonplace as we sometimes think... not detracting in any way from the seriousness when it does happen of course. But (theres always one)... I would have to question the sensibility of anyone dressed in little clothing walking home alone late at night. I also think that women should be able to wear whatever the hell they like, without fear, but then I also believe that our Senior Citizens should be able to cash their pensions without fear as well. still passionately love my country though and am proud to be English

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 07/09/2009 17:37  

Agreed - fortunately, such attacks are few and far between - that's why when they happen, they make the headlines...

Weirdly, the time I was attacked did me a HUGE favour... I was only a teenager and I actually wondered what the hell I would do if ever I was attacked... I wondered if I might freeze in fear a la "rabbit in headlights" stylee.

It was close to home as one of the girls in the year above me at school had been raped in a park opposite the train station one afternoon... so it was a topic of discussion among us...

I learned that, despite being knocked unconscious and coming round to discover I'd been pinned down and my jeans yanked down around my ankles, I came out fighting... In a big way... bought myself enough time to stagger towards where I knew there would be people and to raise the alarm. Then stood there watching the bloke get his head royally kicked in.

Generally speaking, I abhor violence... but I relished every last blow that was struck on that "man".

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 17:47  

It's extremely difficult for women in these countries to protest. Not only is the law against you. The government will be and at least 50 percent of the population. It's a none starter. At the end of the Gulf war. A group of Saudi women in Riyadh decided to protest about not being able to drive. The protest involved driving round the city centre a lot. and some shouting i expect. There's nothing in koran about driving cars. After a week of deliberation they decided they couldn't do it cuz it wasn't a "womanly" thing to do. I'm actually glad becouse having seen up close how bad saudi men are at driving. Seen driving with their feet on the steering wheel. I can only imagine how bad the women would be. (gets coat)

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 07/09/2009 18:16  

BB Its a good job ur squashy lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 07/09/2009 18:18  

I like being in UK cos BJ is here,

Looking good today my lady..

Update Reply
UKHarleyRider @ 07/09/2009 19:43  

It's extremely difficult for women in these countries to protest. Not only is the law against you. The government will be and at least 50 percent of the population. It's a none starter.

You're right - it is extremely difficult, but it's not necessarily a non-starter IMO... I think that if these women are brave enough to risk flogging, humiliation, ostracisation (sp?) from their families, imprisonment and even death to win the basic freedoms that the rest of us "in the West" take for granted, they should be supported and encouraged every step of the way. At least their voices can now be heard by the rest of the world.

Thankfully, some people are brave enough to stand up for what they believe in.

We're so lucky here and I'd like to celebrate that. It's all thanks to people who went before us and fought successfully against improbable odds and didn't think "It's a non-starter - everyone's against us."

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 19:53  

I agree that I'm glad to be living in the UK, it no doubt has it's flaws, (petrol tax is one!), but I would hate to be withoiut the freedom that I have grown up with!

I feel very sorry for the women in these countries who are unhappy with their situation, as I'm sure I would be in the same situation!

And am well impressed with your teenage self preservation WB and I'm not surprised you were glad to see the guy get his comeuppance

Update Reply
Dragon13 @ 07/09/2009 20:15  

Once that adrenalin starts flowing, there's little can stop you Dragon

Never mind "fight or flight"... I did both! Worked a treat... as did the fact that I was wearing a fabulous solid silver HUGE ring in the shape of a rat with a very pointy nose. (Later stolen by someone I worked with. Gee thanks.)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/09/2009 21:33  

Its handy for getting home........................living in the UK that is, I mean if I lived somewhere else it would be a struggle

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/09/2009 13:28  

Its good if your rubbish at spelling or you have bad memory ........................ UK ta da !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 11/09/2009 13:29  

I also love the fact that in Scotland we only have the 2 seasons.........Winter and then the Monsoon season, or as some like to call it SUMMER!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/09/2009 09:31  

Chips and gravy .......... yummy in my tummy

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 14/09/2009 09:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email