MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Two bikes or a bike and a car?

Two bikes or a bike and a car? - Forums [Biker Match] Two bikes or a bike and a car? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Two bikes or a bike and a car?

This has ended up being long - sorry! A few of you will know I bought my CG from my training school late last year, stuck 3k on the clock (over 12 weeks), passed my A2 test, bought my CBR6 and have stuck over 5k on the clock (over 11 weeks) ! My car however is still on the same tank of fuel that I put in back in Feb! At the moment I am using my car once a week to pick up a friends son from after school club and take him home - a total journey of about 5 miles. On the handful of occasions I've needed to use the car for work etc, I've mostly used Geoff's. The intention was to sell the CG (poor thing's been sat in the garage for 3 months) but I've been thinking...should I actually sell the car? The commute to work is 7 miles from my house, down a traffic logged ringroad - the CBR has no advantage over the CG here. From Geoff's it's 15 miles mainly on the M62, the CG is sloooow but manages fine so long as I don't thrash it. Both bikes are far better than the car even in the rain..ask me again in winter how I feel about that though! So...my car is costing me £500 to £600 a year just in tax and insurance to sit and slowly rot...and I'm sticking seriously silly miles on my beautiful CBR. Running costs for the CBR aren't that much cheaper than the car really and when you factor in the cost/frequency of tyres etc, it's gonna be more expensive! The CG however costs peanuts to run. Having said all that, I'd estimate that out of that 5k, only a quarter is commuting, the rest is lesiure mileage. It's clear I need to cut back on that regardless of what I do. It seems to be a no brainer to me...flog the car and use some of the money (hopefully £2k for the car) to sort out some off road parking for bikes at my house. The only issue is sometimes (esp in winter, won't ride in heavy frost, ice or snow) I'll need a car. If myself and Geoff were living together I'd sell in a shot and we'd share a car, (he'll ride in worse weather than I will but sometimes needs a car for work) and manage when both of us needed the car - but we don't...yet.I can't afford to keep all three as I need the capital back from something and couldn't manage the running costs anyway. What would you guys do?

Update Reply
Roachy @ 25/06/2009 18:52  

Keep both bikes...

I have the same trouble I own two cars and a bike..but am trying to sell one of my cars to hopefully fund a bigger bike when I eventually get to pass my test..the only reason Rach I have a car is to transport my three girls as it would be difficult getting them into panniers or my top box!! Good stunt act..sure a lot of people would like to see me try stacking them up! In an ideal world without children I really would have no need for a car..they are expensive to run....I would have a few bikes instead..dreaming now I would have one to pose on, one for commuting on and one for fun!

Hope that helps Rach x

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 25/06/2009 18:57  

Move in together.....simples!

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 25/06/2009 18:57  

Another thought would be to sell the cg, sell the car and buy a £500 1.0l banger, insure it third party only, cheap to tax and summat to fall back on in winter/when required

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 25/06/2009 18:59  

I would go for the car and the bike option. You live in Leeds were the weather is less than Clement in the winter. Speak to Fraglette as she was in the cg125 and big bike camp until she had a spill in the snow during the winter on her 125 going to works. bike and rider got up with minimal damage other than a broken leaver and a bruised pride. Think about what you use the car for. Shopping Going out all clammed up in your heels and short skirt ;) going out with non bike friends when the weather is pants. (heavy rain, strong winds, snow) I have a car and a bike and i use the bike WAY more than the car. I do on average 12k a year on the bike and I actually get quite ratty if i have to take the car to work. to summarise. KEEP THE CAR !!

Update Reply
Phil @ 25/06/2009 19:06  

Roachy my 1st question , are you on a bus route? 2nd its wise too have 4 wheels as well , what i would consider is selling the car for 2grand and buying a good condition older model for as cheap as possible (emergency use) erecting under cover parking and most important making a collective decision with Geoff . (3rd party ins)

Update Reply
excalibur @ 25/06/2009 19:10  

Public transport is out of the question - not swapping a 15/20 min bike commute or even a 30/40 min car commute for an hour+ in a peasant wagon! DC, your suggestion is the most practical but it's not enough of a reason to move in with someone - not after only 8 months! I want and intend to carry on commuting whenever possible on the bike, it's just do I continue on the CBR or go back to the CG. I read about Frag's spill in the snow and I've already come off myself in some this year and made the decision there and then, I'd never try that again! I know I need a car, if I wasn't with Geoff with access to his, I'd be keeping the car and no doubt using it a lot more. Cheers guys for your thoughts, keep em coming.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 25/06/2009 19:34  

Chop the CG in for a Chinese Trailie knobbly tyers to cope with the snow :oD plus a bit more robust it you did drop it. Sell car and get a banger with lowest tax and insurance braket you can find (finally find and insurance co that'll cover all 3 on one policy that'll cut costs) could even sorn the 125 for 6 months and the cbr for 6 if you can decide which 6 months you'd want the bigger bike available!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 25/06/2009 19:44  

how about a bike and a trike??

Update Reply
Phil @ 25/06/2009 20:05  

I will have the same issue once I pass my test, 2 bikes & a car. I am lucky in that the bikes are kept in Ians garage & for me it will be quite cheap for the SV. Unlike you tho I will have to keep the car as its a 30 mile drive from Ians to work so will have to keep the car & rack up the miles on that. It is something that I have thought about now tho & have come to the conclusion that once my test is passed I will use the car for work & back each day (snow in Glossop is no fun in a car never mind on a bike) & then my SV will be for 'play time' that way I will be able to get the best out of both, Stuey tho will not be being sold ... he is for my 19 year old ... then the bills for that are his not mine

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 25/06/2009 20:09  

Would you not consider commuting on the bike then Shell, weather permitting naturally. What will be quite cheap for the SV, running costs? My bikes are also kept in Geoff's garage which is keeping the insurance costs down a little. I guess I could go back to commuting in the car but I love going on the bike, it's soooo much quicker and I don't have to worry about getting a space at work as I park under the cycle cover (they're even removing some of the cycle park loops to make manoeuvring easier, at the moment it's a 15 point turn!). Well I know one thing, I ain't getting rid of the CBR!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 25/06/2009 20:21  

A bike and a trike - now you're just being silly Phil!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 25/06/2009 20:22  

Does that mean you ain't moving in? What about the wedding and the family????

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 25/06/2009 20:24  

Nope, even weather permitting would rather use the car for work & save the bike for play time. The SV is only 2 years old so I dont want to knacker it out with the day to day grind of 60+ miles to & from Ians to work & my car is 3 & easier when the weather hits, I know I need them both so will to split the useage & get the best from both of them, & the costs for the SV insurance is not that different to the 125 Parking in work isn't an issue there is plenty of that for bikes or cars.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 25/06/2009 20:27  

What wedding and family...?? Is this your way of asking me to marry you and raise rug-rats?

Update Reply
Roachy @ 25/06/2009 20:27  

ohhhh Should us ladies be buying hats ????

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 25/06/2009 20:30  

That would have been my suggestion the CBR and an older but neat car ,3rd party on the car and full comprehensive on the bike = money in the bank and saving all round .lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 25/06/2009 20:30  

You mean he hasn,t asked you yet Rachel? Most of us have already got invites!!

Update Reply
old red @ 25/06/2009 20:32  

Sorry to interupt the proposal Geoff.. Roachy.. go with the buy a cheap old banger option.. I rode for 5 years before I learned to drive a car.. in winter you will wish you had a car, especially being where you are. I travel a 30mile round trip each day.. bike it when its nice, car it when its piddlin down....

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 25/06/2009 20:33  

Gotta go! Washing me hair!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 25/06/2009 20:37  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email