MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Aviemore

Aviemore (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Aviemore (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Aviemore

she don't need her knittin ken,just her folding step

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/03/2009 20:59  

Hi Cassie bet you and blueboy still laughing about it.

Update Reply
kenn52 @ 02/03/2009 21:02  

Ooohh yes indeedy,not one to be forgotten

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/03/2009 21:05  

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 02/03/2009 21:24  

You're right Kenn, three days isn't really a lot. But I didn't think people would want to do a full week and the responses appear to confirm this. Don't particularly fancy camping I'm afraid! Firstly, it's a lot of gear to carry up there. Secondly, mid to late August tends to be relatively dry and can have some truly cracking weather up there, but when it does rain ..... and thirdly ... MIDGES!!!!! If you've never experienced the midges in the Highlands of Scotland, you won't understand and if you have then you probably won't want to go camping either lol!! Oh and finally, I'm a bit soft and just don't like camping anymore unless I can pitch my tent on the floor of a nice hotel room! However, we could do both with some stopping in a hotel/B&B and some in a nearby campsite. Done this before with other groups and it's been a success. I had considered August Bank holiday weekend, but decided that places would get booked up quickly and those that were available would charge twice as much anyway! As such I'm gonna suggest the weekend before. Friday 21st August to Tuesday 25th to give a full three days up there. What are people's thoughts? If it sounds a goer then I'll get it put up on the events listing and sort a meet to discuss with everyone.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 02/03/2009 22:08  

hi everyone, sounds like a good trip, if i can get friday off work then I will be up for this one, as got next 2 weeks off anyway... Dont mind B&B but would camp if others are.... cheers,,,,craig

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/03/2009 23:04  

Yes, i'm up for this one. I try to get up to Scotland every year. I am going upto Tarbert with another bike group on the 17th. So the following weekend would be fine. Is two trips to Scotland in one year being a bit greedy?

Update Reply
timhall @ 02/03/2009 23:21  

My home county Badenoch and Strathspey , a good stop off for both camper and b&b Monadhliath Hotel(the Mona to the locals) , Laggan Bridge 25 miles south of Aviemore http://lagganbridge.com/ . Monarch of The Glen was filmed in and around the area . 280 miles from Ripon . I get free accommodation my parents live half a mile from the Mona .

May would be better , weather can be just as good mid-late May as in August , bonus less midgies and less tourists(them with cars n caravans) the latter being more annoying and dangerous .

Close to Aviemore is Glenmore Forest Park , and is not far from the Coylumbridge Hotel for the softies .
Forest Holidays
Glenmore, Aviemore
Highland
PH22 1QU - click for map
Phone 01479 861271

Some ideas for you to ponder over , don't know if I'll make it myself , deffo can't make August as taking the kids up there to see their grand parents during school hols .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 02/03/2009 23:38  

Brilliant FJ - that is very helpful. Cheers for your input as always.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/03/2009 00:11  

Friday 21st August to Tuesday 25th

Just dawned on me which weekend you have chosen Geoff , only Aviemore's busiest weekend , 'Thunder in the Glens Rally' Harley Rally 3000+ HOG members descend on Aviemore , attracting even more on-lookers who turn up just see the bikes coming and going .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 03/03/2009 05:24  

hey i can come down b great chance finally meet all of you count me in sam

Update Reply
cent @ 03/03/2009 07:17  

Thunder in the Glens weekend! Ah! Not such a good choice then lol! The weekend before people? 14th to the 18th?

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/03/2009 07:47  

Brilliant.. be good to see you agen Sam! Not sure if im gonna be campin in the borders at that time, but wud prefer to do Aviemore if poss. Dugald, can u have a word with the Midges,, tell them to sod off for a few days! lol

Update Reply
Karey @ 03/03/2009 08:16  

Would agree with earlier in the year,come july the midges put on their doc martins!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/03/2009 08:55  

How about renting a cottage? I found one at Spean Bridge, just north of Fort William, w/c 20/06/09 for £560 - 4 beds sleeps 8. That's £10 per night each.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/03/2009 13:01  

There's always Buzzards MCC's 'Over The Hill Rally' Dornach Mayday weekend if anyone fancies going up a bit earlier in the year , it's got to be the easiest rally to find as it's right on the side of the A9 can't miss it , the marquee is in the carpark , if your going North or South just keep following the A9 .

Will post it on events when flier comes thru .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 03/03/2009 13:11  

If you guys want to go in May then please don't let my suggestion of August stop you. I won't be able to make it as I'll be in France ...... unfortunately

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/03/2009 13:48  

I don't mind the idea of sharing a cottage! So the options; 1. Early May (not sure if I could make this as we'll be off to France a few weeks later, but it's still an option. Also, if a good number are interested, this could be a lot to organise in just a couple of months) 2. Mid August (misses busiest weekend of the year, but bang in the middle of school holidays and as such busy generally and possibly more expensive) 3. Early September (misses school holidays, may be starting to get a little colder again, although it still won't be winter just yet lol) What are people's preferences?

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/03/2009 16:36  

recommened buzzards rally ,great place to meet to use as a base for the weekend , great music ,and they put bus on to dornock so can have the option to chill away from the rally if you want but best of all ,there a great bunch who attend the rally so b a good weekend

Update Reply
cent @ 03/03/2009 16:45  

If I've still got a back tyre then, It'll be good to get all the luggage on the bandit again! I'm with Geoff on the "no thanks to camping"! Count me (and my available Pillion... Very hard, uncomfortable, non-gel, did I mention hard... erm... bum numbing pillion) in.

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 03/03/2009 22:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email