MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Strange things in the road.

Strange things in the road. - Forums [Biker Match] Strange things in the road. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Strange things in the road.

Hi have you ever come round a bend/corner and come across something strange in the road that gives you that bum clenching moment ???? Other than cars, tractors, etc ????? Going home last night i came round a right hander on the A446 a mile or so before Balsall Common and in the road looking at me was....................................................................... A Turkey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well you dont get that every day I assume he had gone awol from a local farm.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 08/07/2013 09:32  

Lmao VFR yep that would definitely be a bum clenching moment.

I once came around a bend and there was a mummy duck crossing with about 9 ducklings.

Also many sheep in Wales couple of weeks ago.

Update Reply
OMNF @ 08/07/2013 09:40  

Many years ago, me and my brother were going down a dead straight road, flat out on our CG125s with a howling side wind. All of a sudden, a complete wooden shed came flying out into our path which my brother promptly ploughed straight into embedding himself in the woodwork. He didn't drop his bike and there was no damage to it but the shed was a right off. Lucky he didn't have to claim off his insurance, can you imagine the write up?

Update Reply
petewick @ 08/07/2013 10:28  

That is sooo strange VFR... seeing its nowhere near xmas yet.... Pete... Your bro isn't a joiner.. by any chance...?

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 08/07/2013 11:57  

I'll have to put a baking tin and and a pack of Paxo in the box on me bike. Doesn't have to be Xmas Lynn to have Turkey To be fair i think a flying garden shed tops a Turkey..........but can anyone top that ?

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 08/07/2013 12:23  

The oddest thing I have ever come across was over 30 years ago. coming back from a girl friends one foggy night on a lane just outside a village. what looked to be 4 large ants eggs about 18 - 24 inches long . across the road glowing in headlight. wtf? Or words to that effect. turned out to be blown up condoms. stuck to tbe road with shaving foam ( well i think it was shaving foam ) as god is my witness

Update Reply
myotherworld @ 08/07/2013 14:08  

I once saw a goose land in the middle lane of the M6 during early Monday morning rush hour. It brought the motorway to a standstill.

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 08/07/2013 19:42  

Hmmm a strange encounter with a naked bloke walkin up the middle of the road outside the ford inn in Holmfirth at 5am one morning in the dark! Missed him by inches and freaked me so much I stopped in Holmfirth and rang the plod....never heard owt else :o

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 08/07/2013 20:15  

Not a personal experience but imagine this transit van driver filling in the insurancclaim form lol...................................................

Date:13 AUG 1996 Time:08:57 UTC Type:Learjet 25B Operator:MAC Aviation Registration: EC-CKR C/n / msn: 25-184 First flight: 1974 Total airframe hrs:4596 Engines: 2 General Electric CJ610-6 Crew:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2 Passengers:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1 Total:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 3 Airplane damage: Written off Airplane fate: Written off (damaged beyond repair) Location:Northolt Airport (NHT) (United Kingdom) Phase: Landing (LDG) Nature:Executive Departure airport:Palma de Mallorca Airport (PMI/LEPA), Spain Destination airport:London-Northolt Airport (NHT), United Kingdom Narrative:
Learjet 25B EC-CKR arrived near Northolt following a flight from Palma de Mallorca. Due to the presence of priority traffic which was due to depart Northolt at that time, the flight was extended down wind to a distance of 10 nm before the crew received vectors and descent instructions for the final approach to runway 25. At 3.5nm short of the runway the pilot was asked to confirm that his landing gear was down and locked as is normal procedure at Northolt. After some rephrasing of this question, the landing gear was confirmed down, however during this exchange the aircraft was seen to deviate above the glidepath. At 2.5 nm, landing clearance was confirmed and the aircraft was advised of the surface wind and the fact that there was a 4 kt tailwind. The aircraft was also advised that it was above the glide path. At the decision altitude which was at approximately half a mile from the runway the aircraft was still above the glidepath although seen to be correcting to it. On arrival at the runway the aircraft was observed to land some distance beyond the normal touchdown point. Towards the end of the landing roll it veered to the right and then swerved to the left and overran the end of the runway. It collided with three lighting stanchions and continued in a south-westerly direction towards the airfield boundary which is marked by a high chain-link fence. After bursting through the boundary fence the aircraft ran onto the A40 trunk road and was almost immediately in collision with a Ford Transit van on the east bound carriageway, and seriously injuring its driver. The aircraft came to rest in the left hand lane of the road with the van embedded in the right side of the fuselage immediately forward of the right wing.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/07/2013 21:01  

A few years ago I worked at a university. On the way home from an evening out in Keswick, nipped into work to pick up something. It was about 11pm on a typical Lake District night chucking it down with rain & I had my 2 daughters, 14 & 12 in the car.

Just slowing down for the mini roundabout at the bottom of the Struggle in Ambleside and about a dozen lads appeared out of the rain lashed blackness & ran in front of the car....only wearing boxers.....they all stopped in the brilliant full beam spotlight of my headlamps, turned backs to me & did a synchronised moon hahahahahahaha....then they all ran off.

Drowsy daughter in the passenger seat suddenly had eyes like saucers & said, "is it like this here all the time?"

As a student services officer at the uni I knew there was going to be trouble with our neighbours the next day so thought I better give colleagues the heads up that the complaints would be coming in.

I was asked if I'd done anything to stop em......errrrr, nope

I was also asked if I recognised anybody......errrrr, nope again. Just couldn't put a name to a botty

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 08/07/2013 23:01  

a cow wandering down the inside lane near the Trafford Centre

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 09/07/2013 13:51  

PML @ the tales in this thread, in MHO it's the funniest thread for a long time

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/07/2013 21:56  

yes but absolutely true Sandi...........
What do they say ? Truth is stranger than fiction.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 10/07/2013 09:20  

Totally agree sandi the stories on here are making me chuckle :)

Update Reply
OMNF @ 10/07/2013 11:56  

love the shed one! pmsl

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 10/07/2013 13:52  

have had 30 years (oh, old) of dealing with "other folks" incidents on the roads, some bizar some scary some funny, from cows/bull/ horses, to swans in cars and driverless cars (moving)

but personally, funniest bike incident ive had involving "wild life"
after a long ride out, on a long left hander, I had a female pheasant, fly out from the left hand hedge and head straight for me,
I was traveling on an empty road, I knew well, and may have been making progress (aahem)
the bird hit my front wheel, and shredded, being forced up through every conceivable hole/fairing/radiator vent/ my leathers, up into me helmet, you name it, it went there,
I know it was female, because every time I got off bike for 6months I could smell cooing eggs, despite washing/stripping/washing the bike ha ha

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 10/07/2013 15:42  

Pmsl old yeti. That is grosse but so funny :)

Update Reply
OMNF @ 11/07/2013 13:04  

hit a crow from behind on M6 the once....pfoomm!!!.....swear he gave one last despairing glance over his shoulder before impact with speeding CB750 four and my shoulder...took weeks to clean everything off.......also,zooming through Forest of Dean one night,six of us came round corner to see Fresian cow crossing....three bikes written off,three battered bikers,the other three of us shat ourselves laffin',rolling about in tears...cow got up,shook itself,vanished amongst trees..

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 11/07/2013 13:11  

Jinx you never fail to make me lmho... , Priceless , Lovin all these stories lolol..x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/07/2013 15:01  

a half empty jam jar at the side of the road x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2013 01:18  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email