MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

What do you remember about the 70's

What do you remember about the 70's - Forums [Biker Match] What do you remember about the 70's - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

What do you remember about the 70's

Born in 1971 I can still remember ......

My dads ford capri

Flairs

Hippies and ........

Ofcourse the stadium rock bands of the decade ...respect :-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/09/2012 11:37  

you young pup lol
hot pants me mum made me and a suzie Quotro hair cut
lol

Update Reply
kaycat @ 27/09/2012 12:01  

Ohh, now let me see...........

Oxford bag trousers...!

Tank Tops...!

Shirts with massive sleeves and massive collars that of course were buttoned up right to the top....!

Platform shoes...!

Slade and Noddy Holders sideburns....!

Walking in the park with my then boyfriend who wore PINK shirts....!

Power cuts....!

The Three Day Week.....!

Walking everywhere cos dad's wern't taxis then......!

American Pie - the song.....!

Bobby Goldsbro' ....eeeuuwww sooo cheesy....!

Working on dads bikes for pocket money!

Radio One road shows with DLT, Emperor Rosco, and Noel Edmunds...!

Mums baking...mmmm...!

first riding a bike at age of 12 in America....oh, and ending up with it and me in a bush.... fantastic!!!!

Moving house with mum and dad to the first one they bought.....wow!

Roller skating whilst Taking Shep the dog for a walk....mad!

More to come later..........

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/09/2012 12:03  

Radio Luxemburg! Sweet! T Rex! Crombie Coats! Convent School WAAAAAHHHHHHH! Top of the Pops then filmed in Manchester....we used to bunk off school in our lovely brown school uniforms complete with hats!! Kawasaki Triple Strokers!! smell the rock oil! Oh and my first proper gig Black Sabbath (with an awful pissed ozzy!) and an unknown support band called........................................... Van Halen! Led Zep at Knebworth!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 27/09/2012 12:46  

1976 first bike BSA Bantam and my 18th birthday party, bikers in one room, sailors in another, (I lived with my fella who was a biker and a sailor) keeping the peace was a nitemare lol 1977 went to France for the first time 1979 met my (ex) hubby (Shadz's dad)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 27/09/2012 12:56  

The summer of 1976 wall to wall sun for weeks on end I was working outside on a farm then you could have called me winston I was that sunburnt

Update Reply
JP @ 27/09/2012 13:06  

OMG! how could I forget that heatwave?! I think that was years-worth of summers, cos we don't seem to get much these days.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 27/09/2012 13:13  

So I'd like to know where, you got the notionSaid I'd like to know where, you got the notion

To rock the boat, don't rock the boat babyRock the boat, don't tip the boat overRock the boat, don't rock the boat babyRock the boat-t-t-t-toh
All together now.......

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 27/09/2012 13:26  

Spending summer holidays laying under a huge oak tree in the middle of a corn field.... corn seemed so much taller then..
Camping holidays in Scotland where we just pitched a tent next to a stream and woke up with sheep sleeping on your tent
Going with my dad to car rallies and sleeping in the back of his cortina estate while he was marshaling
Watching auto cross in my dads fields when the corn had been cut
and helping my mum serve soup and hot dogs. Then me and my brother collecting bits of car afterwards.........

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/09/2012 13:28  

ooo!!! and being sent home from school when the snow came for the bad winter.. and building igloos with the blocks of snow my dad cut while trying to clear our 1/4 mile drive....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/09/2012 13:31  

I'd forgotten about that, GL, being sent home from school when it snowed, it always seemed to be the heating that failed cos the boiler was old. I went to school in Hampshire, when I first moved there (in 1966) they weren't used to loads of snow.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 27/09/2012 13:40  

OMG ....yes the heatwave of 1976
I remember being trapped in a metal telephone box at a holiday camp, but didn't care cos I was talking to the love of my life at the time....but hell, it was HOT!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/09/2012 14:11  

I know everyone goes on about the' 76 heat wave, but june 16th, I broke my right ankle in the rain at Snetterton, and off work for 6 weeks, though I did ride at cadwell park 5 weeks after, just manage to kick over a bonny to get it stated for the prod race! Now I have still a broke right ankle, weird. Oh yes, thursday night down the Winning post Twickernham, saw too many band to remember, strawbs,staus quo,cockney rebel, Lindisfarn, they came, they go, driving from brands, to lydden then to cadwell, then Snetterton one easter week end, I think nearly 900 miles. They where the days, could we do it again??? answers please.

Update Reply
markiexs @ 27/09/2012 15:32  

Penny Round collars,Triumph Spitfire with top down,long-long walks (anywhere open-Wales,Dales,Downs) 76 was year I bought the RD,probably memories of THAT summer on THAT bike is why I've still got it!! Reservoirs in Wales so low you could see villages in middle of 'em! Never at home any weekend,off Gallivanting,sometimes with Dad on his 500 Ajay(Lent him RD once-gutless he called it till I said use the revs-didn't get it back for a week had to use his Ajay to work!) Wish we could have another summer like that!! It would be fun trying to do all the stuff we did then and chillin at a rally in heat wave instead of rain wave!! Sabbath + Van Halen,B'ham Odeon = stoned even if you didn't smoke,place was so full of stuff!! Girls -- in Hot pants,mini skirts,crop tops ,wearing patchoulli, Cooooooorrrrr!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/09/2012 15:47  

BOGARTS.......................the rock club in Birmingham city centre, went there every night for years........ could get high on the air in there...last tune was always Stairway to Heaven. Saw the Sex Pistols in there very early in their ''career'' all dressed in red suits. Only night i EVER saw a fight in there. the beer Kellar was underneath there, went in there now and again but me with my almost waist length black hair didnt really fit in with those posey types and their posh glasses og German lager. Used to drive home in my Ford Cortina Mk 2 1600 GT maroon with a big twangy yellow aerial and not even remember was that pissed. You wouldnt do it now would you ??????????????? Would I ????? Lose me car licence, lose the bike so it doesnt happen. Met my first and second wives in the 70's however 3rd time lucky now

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 27/09/2012 18:00  

I didn't like the 70's due to being at School, I hated School! but otherwise my memories are much the same as everyone else!

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 27/09/2012 18:59  

Yeah Suzi Quatro!!!!!!
Chopper Bikes
Slade
Bell bottoms
Platforms
Windsor knots in yer tie
No dress code rules! anything goes & no-one cared!
Long hair
77 Jubilee Bonneville
The list is endless!

I had a great time!

Update Reply
Stuke @ 27/09/2012 19:31  

Far more in someways than i'd like to being a erm mature person hmm lol.

Maybe it's the rose tinted specs but i remember a far better world then to now.

Not to mention Suzi Q the summer of 76 of course, went to an amazing do at the ally pally with Shakin Stevens and Crazy Cavan headlining and Rock Island line i think it was 6 bands in all WHAT A DAY!

Finnishing work on a Friday night in about 71 and filling up my 350 Triumph 3TA on the way home (2/3 gallons) and getting change out of a pound lol. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Bless..............................

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/09/2012 20:19  

On the down side...my mum died when I was 14 in 1972. My dad died when I was 11 which wasn't good ..... but..... I had absolutely no parental control at all, flunked school and did what ever I wanted lol greasers & hippies My afgan coat with orange embroiderie So many fab gigs. Ten Years After, John Martyn, Santana, Lou Reed, Strawbs, Groundhogs, Doobie Brothers, Allman Brothers, Curved Air, James Taylor & Carole King, Dylan, Clapton, Joan Armourplating, Hall & Oats Loads of fab festivals & Hawkwind was playing at virtually every one but can hardly actually remember any cos I was so smashed all the time The long hot summer of 1976 I was working as a petrol pump attendant (remember them?!). The only time in my entire life I had a suntan. Petrol was about 40p a gallon when I started and about 70p a gallon when I finished working there in October! Succession of ford angleboxes....Getting pregnant & poverty

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 27/09/2012 20:47  

Red Squirrels..
Dead Pet Hedgehogs..
My baby brother losing the end of something potty training when the toilet seat fell down..
Thinking on a crossing from Germany to England that the Sailor Doll in my cabin was haunted and smashing it to bits against the window only to see it explode into a million tiny little polystyrene balls...
A red balloon..
Watching my dad run to a helicopter and fervently wishing he wouldn't make it back...
Was shite loves.. and ten years of life and that's all I can remember.. pants eh... Glad I'm remembering 2011/12 and most of the folk in here... That should be a post in itself..

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 27/09/2012 21:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email