MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Recommendation: Lake District, Y'shire Dales or N. Y'Shire Moors

Recommendation: Lake District, Y'shire Dales or N. Y'Shire Moors - Forums [Biker Match] Recommendation: Lake District, Y'shire Dales or N. Y'Shire Moors - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Recommendation: Lake District, Y'shire Dales or N. Y'Shire Moors

I am considering a 7 to 10 holiday in and around one or more of the above areas in June this year. Possible incorporating the Yorkshire Pudding rally. As there are many members in those areas, or have been to them, I was hoping you people could give me some advice as to which is the best. The intention is to have a chill out holiday and end with the Yorkshire Pudding Rally. Any advice will be most appreciated

Update Reply
davidneale @ 01/05/2012 09:05  

Haven't been up that way for a few years mate but a campsite I would reccommend is Fisherground Farm in Eskdale,slap bang in th middle of some spectacular Lakeland scenery with a pub about 400 yards down the lane.I think it's under a new owner now but the site only had 2 rules which were 1,be quiet after 11pm and 2,obey all the rules.

Update Reply
pondlife @ 01/05/2012 09:43  

Thanks for the info pondlife. I just had a look at their website and it looks ok. Apparently the weather is better on that side of the Lakes, so it's worth considering. Nice rules, but they have changed the no noise rule to 10-30.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 01/05/2012 10:27  

Here's a few to consider David This campsite is on the shore of Thirlmere and on the flanks of Helvellyn. It is owned by bikers who actively encourage bikers to come & stay: http://www.thirlspotfarmcamping.co.uk/ There's a biker cafe at Keswick...mmm yummy food and fab welcome: http://www.facebook.com/TheFillingStationCafe/info If you are up here the first Sunday of June, Turtle20 may be doing her Biker Brekkie at Barn Farm just outside kendal (look on events & her forum thread) And if I am about more than happy to have a brew with you, and maybe some of the other intrepid learner ladies too. But I'm away in Eastern Europe last 2 weeks of June on my freebie prize roadtrip (yaroop! yaroop!) You must have heard us twittering on about Devils Bridge at Kirkby Lonsdale? http://www.kirkbylonsdale.co.uk/home/index.php?option=c...;Itemid=92 Heading east away from the lakes, there's the fun climb up to Hartside: http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/hartsidetop.html Or across to Hawes further south: http://www.pennygarthcafe.co.uk/ There's loads of knowledge of fantastic routes on bm David. In the time you're planning you can cover the lot...basically there are fantastic roads, whichever direction you go, all the way from the Western Lakes, though the Dales to North Yorks Moors Enjoy

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 01/05/2012 11:15  

Thanks for the info Minnie. I will look at the links you have shown and see whats what. I am also considering one of those camping pods, they look really cosy. Yes ok for a brew if you are not away when I am in the area. I will get in touch once I know what I am doing.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 01/05/2012 11:33  

The Yorkshire Pudding Rally is 3-5 August. The Farmyard Party is in June (15 - 17). And if u don't call in at mine for a brew, there'll be trouble!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 11:57  

Thanks for correcting me XK, I meant the Farmyard Party. It's me mind I'm losing something, might be me marbles. Yes sure I will drop in for a brew if you are around when I am in the area.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 01/05/2012 12:14  

Can definitely recommend the run to Hartside cafe from Alston as Minnie says, tis a stunning ride David!!

Also, Hawes, Grassington,North Yorkshire moors, all those places - it's my back yard!

If you want a guide - or a cuppa , give me a shout.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 17:25  

Thanks for the input PB. It all sounds brilliant May need a guide incase I get lost on the moors I will let you know once I have sorted out my arrangements.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 01/05/2012 17:58  

No point in me saying much, if you hook up with Minnie the Minx and Purple Betty they both know there way about and as they say there are lots of brilliant roads and place's to see than join us at the Farm Yard rally on the Friday.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 01/05/2012 17:59  

Don`t get lost on the moors David.
Aint you ever seen American Werewolf in London?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 20:15  

wotcha trying to say Dave........ I know the moon is waxing and I have an urge to Hoowwwwwllllllll ..... but honestly, David will be safe with me!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 20:22  

lol you could always head up towards gamblesby after the lakes - bloomin gorgeous up there too... trust minnie tho coz she's ace lol

Update Reply
mizzi @ 01/05/2012 21:04  

Thanks mizzi, I will look that one up also. I have been looking at the places mention by peeps, on youtube and other sites. It all looks really good. Now I need to work out in which order go to them. Thanks again

Update Reply
davidneale @ 01/05/2012 21:12  

ooow this thread is making me all restless - not been up that way for a year or so.... if you're comming from 'down south' David then the road from the A66 up through Middleton-in-Teesdale to Alston is excellent - especially midweek then on from there to Hartside cafe... top of the world! well almost... I've stopped at a really nice bike friendly B&B outside Penrith, can pass details if interested... oh if you've not been before, then a visit up to the Tan Hill Inn is worth incorporating into your route.... highest pub in England, Ted Moult double glazing adverts etc etc.. but nice warm fire and views... oh and Buttertubs pass if you head further over... the list goes on really! and PB... are you ok Noooooooooooow ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 21:13  

Of course, there's the coast as well, David!! Whitby's got to be worth a look. Whistlestop cafe in centre loves bikers :>

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 01/05/2012 21:15  

oh yes.. nice cakes at the whistlestop... just watch out for marauding pensioners if you walk around Whitby though...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 21:17  

ok? Moi? never better ta....tis all this moon gazing ....it does things to a girl!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 21:22  

Neil Thanks for the advice, nothing to stop you taking off also. The A66 looks a good route. If you could PM me the details of the B&B outside Penrith it would be great. Thanks Alice for the Whitby lead Regarding the marauding pensioners if you walk around Whitby. I think my journeys are going to take longer than I thought and I will be one of those pensioners by the time I get there. I forgot to mention that I intend to do this run on my 1958 BMW R50, poor old girl don't know what she's in for yet

Update Reply
davidneale @ 01/05/2012 21:44  

details sent David... I'd imagine your BMW will be ideal for these roads - back in the 'olden days' a bike was built to do everything from ride to work or ride round the world, not like today where you have to have a tourer to tour, a commuter to commute on.. sorry just one of my favorite rants

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 22:17  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email