MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Passed CBT

Passed CBT - Forums [Biker Match] Passed CBT - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Passed CBT

Hey ... as a couple of you know, last year I did my CBT ... didnt want to post till I was ready to look for a bike and get my ass on the road

Over the spring I will be looking at 125s ... any advice for this newbie (not new to the site...lol)
will be most welcome ... constructive that is

Update Reply
rockchick123 @ 28/02/2012 11:49  

Beepa is selling her 125

http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?topic_id=9748

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 28/02/2012 12:09  

Hey Rock chick well done , a honda CG125 , as you need to be able to put all your training in to easy practise , the rest is up to you , and go out riding in all weathers if you can to get the skill when you need in bad weather situtions , i am sure loads on bm will give there exampled help , just keep riding when you get on ..........

Update Reply
northlondon58 @ 28/02/2012 12:14  

Jackie you beat me to it......also im considering selling mine or part x it, as wanting a 125 sports as im finding the cruiser style not for me.

Also well done on passing your CBT lass

sal :O)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2012 12:16  

I love Blades ... and love the look of the cbr125 ... also being a fairly big bike, the swap over may be easier for me ...

But only just started looking ... lol

Update Reply
rockchick123 @ 28/02/2012 12:23  

Hey RC well done on the CBT. I used to have a CG125 found it a great ride, really comfortable for arms and back (well as much comfort as you can have on a bike). I'd originally got my heart set on a CBR125 but when I was looking and playing recently I actually prefer the CBF125 (one of the chappies in the bike shop said this had basically replaced the CG so everythings quite similar) and it's cheaper than the CBR. I found the CBR a bit chunky on the tank and a bit too arched for my back with the bars being that bit lower than the CBF. Good luck and safe riding x

Update Reply
chickflick75 @ 28/02/2012 12:33  

First bike for practice and learning, I'd recommend Honda coz of reliability and general ease of use. Good for all year round coz Honda's don't rust so much. If you're interested in sports bikes I'd recommend the CG125 and NOT..I repeat NOT the CBR125.
Getting a 125 sports bike, even if you're planning on getting a 600 sports bike when you pass your full test, is the biggest waste of money imagineable. Running costs, insurance, tax, maintenance...everything costs so much more. You're better getting an upright/streetfighter style bike and learning on that. The reason for this is that the handling given by upright style on the CG125 isn't too different from the handling you get on the CBR125, so will give you appropriate experience...but the CG125 won't break if you drop it and won't cost hundreds to fix. Similarly, insurance on a CG125 is a lot lower and the performance of the CG125 compared to the CBR125 is, pretty much, the same. If you're looking to buy new then I'd recommend the CBF125 (in Hondas) as this replaced the CG125, almost like for like. I used to scrape pegs on every roundabout when I had a CG125...lovely little bikes. :)

Update Reply
SomeRandomBiker @ 28/02/2012 13:10  

Hey RC....hurry up and get yourself up to the Bridge! Had no idea what you were up to...Congratulations sweetie

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 28/02/2012 13:23  

Excellent news, welldone you lassie - I never bought a 125, I used one of the instructers so not best for me to advise - I learned on a Honda 125 custom, and never tried anything else. The very best of luck what ever you go for. Oh it's such exciting time, it will open a new chapter for you xx

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 28/02/2012 13:35  

Hey rockchick123 congratulations a new life starts here As a number of people have said, you can't go wrong with a CG125 as used by many riding schools. The little sports bikes may look sexy but I would go for comfort and riding postion and thats what you get rom the CG. Try not to get too confused! Good luck

Update Reply
davidneale @ 28/02/2012 15:23  

Rockchick. Test ride as many as possible around the same route. Work one out that shows you how it handles on bends, get some traffic lights and roundabouts in - for how it goes and stops - and make sure you're on each one at least half an hour.
My dream bike - the down-pipe 'cooked' my leg standing at lights. One - the position of the gear peg to foot peg gave me cramp. Don't know how tall you are but most tanks are too long for me and after a while some gave me back ache. You simply have to ride them! Besides - it's great fun trying them out

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 28/02/2012 15:44  

I had a CBF 125 was a good bike low seat too could do an indicated 70 if head down behind fairing.

Update Reply
Ho4701 @ 28/02/2012 15:55  

Hi Alex, it depends on many things, including what style you are looking for. I learned on a Yamaha SR, very similar to the Honda CM I bought after I earned my CBT certificate, both baby cruisers. I wouldn't be comfortable riding a sport bike. The Varadero (Honda I think) 125 is quite a large bike if you want a small (engine) bike with a big look. If you have an inside leg measurement of 28" or less then the Varadero won't be any good, unless you're like Sumo and can ride a bike even if your feet don't touch the ground. I don't recommend buying a NEW 125, if you're going to drop it a lot (most newbs do) second-hand is better. There are sites on the net giving good advice about what to look for when buying a bike. Obviously private purchase will be cheaper than the dealer. Get the latest version of the UBG Used Bike Guide to check on prices for a particular bike, before you part with any money and take along someone who knows about bikes so they can see if your potential purchase is a beauty or a booby. I agree with Riggy, test ride as many as possible.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 28/02/2012 16:22  

i may have a 1985 (i think) CG125 for sale if anyone wants it. its currently sitting in Aviemore but could get it down to manchester no bother.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 28/02/2012 16:36  

U kept that quiet girl well done xx

Update Reply
UKHarleyRider @ 28/02/2012 16:37  

You did indeed keep it quiet missus lol. Well done Alex! I was quite alarmed to read about the cbr 125 as I've got one! But given it was the bargain of bargains I couldn't resist! We'll both have to get to the Minx sometime even if it means chucking the bikes in a van to get there and then riding with Marg around her roads!

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 28/02/2012 17:06  

Grats! I had a CG125, lovely little machine, in a lot of ways it's more of a hoot through the traffic ;p

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 28/02/2012 17:10  

nice one on passing your CBT

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2012 17:21  

Thanx for info, advice and congrats

Def somethings to mull over and hopefully I will be able to make the right choice for me by the time I get round to buying one

I did keep it quiet .... not like me eh

Update Reply
rockchick123 @ 28/02/2012 18:14  

Defo not like you (Quiet!!!?????)

Seriously though, well done.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2012 19:12  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email