MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Newbies attending their very first event

Newbies attending their very first event (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Newbies attending their very first event (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Newbies attending their very first event

clarkee Until your last post I thought your comments were a little too serious. I now realise you are a bonkers as the rest of us . Joking aside, BJ was wearing her 'T' shirt, which I saw in the photo's. Some people are not good at introductions when they don't know anyone, but at times we all have to take a deep breath and dive in. It was the same for any of us at our 1st rally or event for instance. When I was younger I found it difficult meeting people for the 1st time, but as I get older it has became easy. I think it's just one of those things that happens occasionally and the person in question may realise that we don't bite for next time.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 20/02/2012 12:09  

I understand that some folk may be shy or not confident enough to walk upto complete strangers at an event, hence the suggestion that they contact the events team so that they can let the organiser know to look out for them.

I always offer to meet new folk at the door or outside so that they dont have to walk in alone, and that way i can introduce them to the others. Most of the time i am wearing a tshirt or hat with BJ on so folk can spot me lol

Just throwing some ideas around as to how to stop it happening again :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/02/2012 12:16  

David, so glad I qualify as "bonkers". Was'nt trying to be too serious though. I too know how hard it is to say "hi" to a group, you don't know. To be fair I did'nt know Jackie had her T shirt on, as I was'nt there. If that's the case, I agree, we have to take the bull by the horns and make the first move. Still I hope whoever it was, gives it another go.

Update Reply
clarkee @ 20/02/2012 12:17  

What if the Stig turns up though?

Update Reply
0075viragoman @ 20/02/2012 12:28  

mmm beer through a straw? With your helmet on? humourus comments should not be mistaken for ''taking the pi55'' If someone is painfully shy. then the easiest thing for them to do is , put yourself on the event page. After all, that's what it's there for, a pre introduction. Painfully shy people allready know that they are 'painfully shy' and will have suffered it all there lives. But rather than have the mods [down with the mods , up with the rockers] dress up like xmas trees and act as social secretaries. Why not introduce a mandatory newbie badge , or tshirt , or whatever. Wear it for one season, it should help. ...Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 20/02/2012 12:29  

We give him a good "kicking", for being a fourwheeler

Update Reply
clarkee @ 20/02/2012 12:29  

my last post was for 0075 viragoman, sorry

Update Reply
clarkee @ 20/02/2012 12:31  

Hey clarkee man ,nearly choked on my bacon sarnie. Imagining the Stig walking in the pub and going down under a hail of motorcycle footwear ....Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 20/02/2012 12:50  

I know there was one event I arranged and one particular guy didn't turn up even though I'd pm'd him and passed on my mobile number. He contacted me after the event saying he'd made his way to the meet but just bottled it. He has since attended an event and I hope he will attend more. I like to think I have some understanding of what it must be like to be shy, lack confidence etc but in all honesty I don't! All I know is that whenever someone attends for the first time, they will be welcomed with incredible gusto lol. I've mentioned before meeting Alex and Kaz for the first time and receiving the biggest hugs I've ever had , enough to put anyone off!! (Only joking). All I can say is............ do it, that first event is most definately the hardest and as a lot of folk will tell you on here the best (if not scariest) thing they've done for years! Jackie, I thought standard members could add themselves to an event....

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 20/02/2012 13:08  

Dusty, would'nt it be a bonus if he brought "Clarkson" with him?.

Update Reply
clarkee @ 20/02/2012 13:54  

Hmmm interesting comments about mods and organisers walking up to people who maybe aimlessly walking around looking shy, bewildered or crapping it. The success of any club or one of it's events is only as good as its members in it or attending and its committee/organisers. I have been to many bike meets/events/camping weekends in a position as a committee member and organiser of the event (and as a non committee member/organiser) I found it so frustrating to see single members turn up and not be greeted by ONE "ordinary club member" say hi to them. I'm luckily enough to be able to go up to anyone and say "Hi I'm Fred", yes even to Harley Riders OMG.. did I say that out loud . Some of you will wish I'd never turned up once I've arrived, introduced myself and left at the end We used to have baseball caps with committee member on it. So how about anyone who wants, or is willing to help meet and greet newbies by wearing a hat, badge, jumper tee-shirt or whatever on it saying something like "Hi come and say hello" or "BB member happy to help" etc.. and post on the event details that new or shy members could or should look out for anyone wearing said garments. It doesn't take a lot to say hi and you don't have to be a Moderator or organiser, if you can do it on a garage forecourt to a total stranger you can do it at one of YOUR club events. *Sits back and waits for the fall out*

Update Reply
Big Fred @ 20/02/2012 14:01  

LOL , thats the thing Fred ,

Those of us who organise events do have something, be it a t shirt (BM labelled or not depending on who you are) a hat, as myself, Mr P & Jackie have, hoodies or something that identifies us not just as a member but also who we are.

I dont know what has prompted this post, however I do know that we (event organisers) do as much as we can to welcome members both old & new to any event we are sorting, I as have others, have even invited people to come to an event from my home so that they dont have to walk into a place or join a ride out with a huge group that they dont know,

There is only so much you can do & as always happens you cannot do right for doing wrong because someone some place is not happy , PM people and try to include them so you know whats happening & who may or may not be going & you get shot at for emailing people too much, dont do that & have no idea someone is there & you get shot for ignoring them.

Please guys remember we ARE human, we are not robots that have a perfect ident memory & remember everyone & everything we see

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/02/2012 14:34  

All I know is if any of us are expecting newbies at an event we do keep a look out for them and make an effort to introduce them to as many other BMers as we can to get them started. The chap in question will be made more than welcome at the next Brum event, it's not like anyone's holding a grudge, we are just disappointed not to have met him properly and for him to feel involved. Roll on the next one and both sides can make a double effort - he'll be overwhelmed lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2012 15:36  

in reply to Fred's post, when you're in a pub where there's loads of 'other' people (yep there are non BMers out there ) you can't walk up to everyone in the pub & say Hi - are you a newbie to BM? - you'd get a lot of strange looks. As has been said, if people KNOW that a newbie is going to turn up, every effort will be made to look out for em & as Jackie has previously said, will even wait for them outside the place. BUT if we DON'T know they're gonna turn up, then there's nothing much we can do, the onus HAS to be on the newbie recognising a face from the events list ...or seeing someone with a BM T shirt on & coming up & saying Hi.

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 20/02/2012 15:52  

Hey Stella, seeing as you're originally from Holmfirth. Could you not have dressed like a character from "Last of the summer wine"?. How good would you look in some "turned down" wellies and a wooly hat?

Nothing like a heartfelt "Eh up", to break the ice..lol

contemplating "slap" at next meeting with Stella

Update Reply
clarkee @ 20/02/2012 16:02  

errr....Clarkee ======> take that in preparation I suppose I could have brought me wrinkly stockings & me tin bath

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 20/02/2012 16:05  

*Stella in wrinkled stockings* - phwroar!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2012 16:07  

Phew...knew you would have a sense of humour

Update Reply
clarkee @ 20/02/2012 16:07  

She has to ......... have you met Spesh? lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2012 16:10  

ROFLMAO @ V & XK - I just KNEW you'd pop up at the mention of stockings!!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 20/02/2012 16:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email