MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Newbies attending their very first event

Newbies attending their very first event (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Newbies attending their very first event (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Newbies attending their very first event

Tin bath sounds good to me

Update Reply
clarkee @ 20/02/2012 16:18  

Ummm when I say "
It doesn't take a lot to say hi and you don't have to be a Moderator or organiser, if you can do it on a garage forecourt to a total stranger you can do it at one of YOUR club events. "
What I meant was,,,,,,,,,, that its EVERYONE'S/members club to make it what it is, not just down to moderators and organisers to say Hi or welcome and talk to new attendees.

Having been in the position as P.R.O. and organising national rallies for a bike club for a few years I know form experience there is nothing you can do to get people to say they will definitely, or even maybe attend no matter how much pleading you do.

Many will decide the night before whether they will attend depending on the weather or other commitments. As others have said its down to individuals to make the effort to make it or say hello. However, if an individual turns up but isn't sure if he or she feels left out all it takes is for any member there to say hi, not just organisers/moderators.
By having suggestions on each particular event page on how or what a new attendee should look for may help put them at ease.

Obviously my earlier post wasn't a criticism of anyone, it was more of a suggestion on how to make new members/attendees not feel awkward and leave without saying anything.

Update Reply
Big Fred @ 20/02/2012 16:30  

I remember my first BM event - it was near Darlington organised by Rusty Knight. I set off on my own on a trip that should have taken my 4 maybe 5 hours at the MOST - 7 hours later I rode into the back of the pub right up to a table of bikers - my front wheel nudging their table. Opened my flip top helmet, "Helloooooooo i'm hear at last"......... a table of blank faces looked back at me , then one said "think you're looking for the lot camped in the field" . I felt like turning the bike around and heading for home. Obviously I didn't and I can honestly say that I was made so welcome, I was shaking as I am shy (honest ). What i'm trying to say so long windedly is........ it has to work both ways, anyone who is new, PLEASE say hi to someone, anyone or do as Brummie Jackie said, contact someone on the events page to go with or meet you - you won't regret it . It's coming up to my two years and i've met some bloody fantastic people . Don't know who it was that went to the event and left, PLEASE give another event a try, you won't be sorry. Good luck to all new members at their first events, you'll be fine

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 20/02/2012 16:52  

LMFAO "Then one said "think you're looking for the lot camped in the field"
hahaha don't you love it when that happens

Update Reply
Big Fred @ 20/02/2012 16:56  

As someone thats normaly quite shy untill I get to know pepole I can say that turning upto meet on my own was one of the things that put me off joining for so long, I'd read the furums and see that everyone seemed to know everyone and didnt know where to start, still dont really. And I dont proclaim to know the answer, but heres a few things that made me feel a little more comftable. Arranging to meet a few others on the way so I wasnt turning up alone. sounds funny I know becuase your still meeting fokes you havent meet before but it just seems better if you all on route and turning up together. Information, lets you know what to expect lots of chat in the events pages gives you an idea of who is who, what they are like. and provides information even if its just down to what most ppl take tents cooking gear ect ect. I have traveled before packed to the gunels with camping gear only to find out everyone goes to the pub and all you need is a tent and sleeping bag. and vis versa there is nothing like a 25 mile round trip to McD cus everyone else brought stuff and you didnt. even down to talk about what sort of rides there are routes places becuase then I can look at a map get my bearings before I go.

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 20/02/2012 17:12  

I was bloody mortified Big Fred I can tell you - so embarrassed you could have fried an egg on my face As for the getting lost , I must confess, that still happens to this day

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 20/02/2012 17:16  

lmao brilliant Bobkat thats the kinda thing that happens to me

cant wait to go to one of the BM events :)

Update Reply
dabe @ 20/02/2012 17:30  

Are you good at directions dabe?????? Because I should warn you I don't know how to get to Ingleston - we may end up at the Safari park at Blairdrummond . Have you had a look at Squires weekend 4th March? - there are a couple of us going, be a good opportunity to meet lots of folk. Be an excellent first event for you

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 20/02/2012 18:41  

My first event i contacted Jackie and she gave my her phone number and said phone me when you get there, it was up to me to say i was going and to let her know i was there. Not looked back since. Do people remember the trip to the Ponderosa last year where a guy from Wales said he was comming to meet us, we didnt know what he looked like so we near stopped and asked EVERYONE going in to the place if he was >......<. The point is if we know you are comming we will go out of our way to meet you.

Update Reply
Timeout @ 20/02/2012 19:23  

Thanks for starting this thread...timely for me!! Yep, I've been big and brave and jumped in at the deep end BUT I do still struggle hugely with people I don't know.
My problem is that I've now organised a couple of meets myself but know I'm crap at making newbies feel welcome. I've introduced them to our more vocal members, then done a runner !! I was going to post to ask for help from people who have their names down for March 4th at Squires.....PLEASE can you be on the lookout for newbies as I know there are a few with their names down.
If you're one of said newbies...it would help if you take a good look at some of our pics on events beforehand, then come say hi:>
For the record, my early days opening line was "are you one of us"........not that brilliant but got some giggles !!

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 20/02/2012 19:47  

Alice we will get the tee shirts and hoodys out and your line is better than (are you one of them ?)

Update Reply
JP @ 20/02/2012 19:49  

Thanks jp xx

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 20/02/2012 19:52  

I'm Spartacus

Update Reply
Big Fred @ 20/02/2012 20:09  

nooo, Im Spartacus!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2012 21:00  

sorry pb.......you're Artacus