MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Newbies attending their very first event

Newbies attending their very first event - Forums [Biker Match] Newbies attending their very first event - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Newbies attending their very first event

Once upon a time ............ there was a BM event which a newbie decided to attend. They did not add themselves on the events page, did not post they were going, did not contact anybody before hand. They turned up and did not approach anybody to introduce themselves, after a while they got annoyed that nobody spoke to them and went home.

Moral of the story .......... if you have never met anybody before and folk are unaware that you are going how are they supposed to know who you are ? especially in a crowded pub !!!

I know that standard members cannot add themselves to events (in this case they were a full member), so its difficult to let folk know you are going. Some folk are more comfortable than others at approaching folk they dont know. The only thing i can suggest in this case is that you email the events team (via the contact page) who will contact the relevant organiser and let them know that you are attending. Either that or just walk up and say hi.

If anybody else can think of any alternatives then please post them, hopefully saving this from happening again.

Its a shame that somebody made an effort to attend and then felt ignored.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/02/2012 09:37  

A classic case where a BM name badge for at least the organiser of the event woulda helped? BM t shirts are in mho a must!.......If even a handfull of folk where them at an event/meet then newcomers will know who to approach.... Perhaps an option to supply one with membership sign up at a moderate cost....shldnt be more than a tenner?

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 20/02/2012 09:41  

Might be naff but how about wrist bands for BM members attending you know those bright coloured plastic things then you would know who was a BMer or just a local in the pub

Update Reply
0075viragoman @ 20/02/2012 09:47  

well, tbh - Jackie DID have her BM T shirt on

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 20/02/2012 09:57  

Shun them I say

Get them to message one us (BM staff) and have it so we can put them on .

A job for a moderator methinks

Update Reply
madscots @ 20/02/2012 10:06  

Mads thats what i said in my post u plum lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/02/2012 10:16  

Could just wear a large carnation to any event where they are not known

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2012 10:22  

How about a newspaper or some wallpaper under your arm

Update Reply
davidneale @ 20/02/2012 10:29  

@David .........but where would ya put the paste bucket?????

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2012 10:38  

I know a man who can supply the shirts or hats with logo on it, let me know if you want details/price

Update Reply
Noddy1 @ 20/02/2012 10:39  

PB Bucket on your foot where else

Update Reply
davidneale @ 20/02/2012 10:41  

Gosh, now why didn't I think of that???

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/02/2012 10:46  

wristbands good idea fer those who wish to be a little more discrete but still usually visible.....esp if u sportin a BM T shirt !! lol

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 20/02/2012 10:47  

Many of us have either the BM T shirts or something that we have had done with our BM ID on it ... for me its a bright pink hoodie with my BM ID across the back in red sparkly diamantés (thats only cos I prefer pink to black and wanted a 'girly' feel to it)

But I do agree with Jackie, its a lot easier for someone to come say hi to us than for us to try to remember everyones face (tho yes some faces are unforgettable no matter how hard you try )

I have lost count of the number of people who say to me 'hi Shell I'm so & so ' then it will usually jog my memories, but we are only human & some of us are more advanced in years (yes starting to feel it as I will soon be another year older) so we do need a prod every now & then.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 20/02/2012 10:53  

So please if you can say hi before you walk off not as you walk off it will help us all enjoy the night. Sorry if you felt left out but we did not see you in a busy pub with a band playing

Update Reply
JP @ 20/02/2012 11:02  

You knowBJ, perhaps they arrived''under cover'' to see what they were getting into. and after having a look around. decided to runaway very quickly. Arran will be my first BMevent and I to, will be giving serious thought to running away if I encounter any strange behavior such as, sobriety,quiet conversation, upholding the highway code, or restrained dancing. ...Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 20/02/2012 11:24  

I think that I'd better add, that I'm going to be joined on Arran by a lifelong mate [triumph tractor rider] who is an absolute master of none of the above...Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 20/02/2012 11:31  

It's a "very big deal" for some people and maybe an ordeal, for them to walk into a pub, not knowing anyone and have to introduce themselves.
While I appreciate the humorous comments on this thread and totally agree that "mods" and organisers cannot be expected to "look out" for someone they don't know,at an event and are very entitled to enjoy the evening themselves. I can't help feeling "the person" in question may be feeling a little bit ridiculed by some of these posts and not very inclined to attend another BM event.

Before I get "slaughtered", I really appreciate the effort and commitment of mods and organisers of these events, it's not an easy job. Some people though are very Shy and maybe very apprehensive, for whatever reason. I think we should respect that. At the end of the day though it's up to the individual to deal with that or, be restricted by the consequences.

I hope "the person" will give it another try, because at the end of the day, there are some cracking people on here.

Update Reply
clarkee @ 20/02/2012 11:49  

Just thought..at an event or night out, why don't we all keep our "helmets" on, until everyone on the event page has turned up?

Update Reply
clarkee @ 20/02/2012 11:56  

I think the easiest and best solution is for newbees to make sure they let the organiser of the event know beforehand so they can keep an eye out for them ....

Great idea Jackie ... esp as that way even stantdard members can give us the 'heads up' that they are attending

Having organised a night out recently, was nice to see a new member come in and walk straight over to us and introduce himeself ... I had no previous knowledge he was going as he posted on the thread, after Id last checked it the same day.

So glad he made himeself known, great guy and was lovely meeting him.

Update Reply
rockchick123 @ 20/02/2012 12:04  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email