MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Harder Theory Tests

Harder Theory Tests - Forums [Biker Match] Harder Theory Tests - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Harder Theory Tests

From today (23/01/12) the driving theory test will no longer use pre-published questions in a move to stop candidates from learning answers by rote. Until now all the questions used in the driving theory test have been published. These changes will mean that learner drivers and riders gain a better understanding of driving theory, because they can no longer rely on simply learning which options are correct for individual questions. Road Safety Minister Mike Penning said: “By bringing a stop to publication of theory test questions we aim to encourage candidates to prepare by learning each topic area thoroughly rather than just memorising the questions and answers. “The intention is to improve candidates’ knowledge and understanding of driving theory, so that they are more able to retain and apply it when they are on the road.” The familiar theory test books and software still offer revision questions for candidates to test themselves and assess their progress. They now also have exercises so learners can practice applying their knowledge on each topic to case studies. There are also new sections of revision support for motorcyclists and a free e-book for car drivers. Can only be a good thing I think.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 23/01/2012 22:00  

The woman who has failed her driving theory test NINETY times – and it’s cost her nearly £3,000Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366972/Woman-f...z1kYghhu8K . lace-....NT Failed my Theory Test Just did my theory test.Got 38/50 (fail) for the actual theory part and 58/75 (pass) for hazard perceptionI encountered about 15 questions I've NEVER seen before like "What is Diesel? Odourless, Sticky, Slippery or Clear" .....this is me sitting there like wtf? who cares? The whole point of a petrol station is to refill your car! NOT to analayse the fuel itself!!Anyway, the point of this thread is, what are the main changes happening to the theory test from the 23rd Jan 2012?I heard that the questions will be more random, but more about stuff on signs and motorway driving?Give me stregnth! -_- (lol at the above fail , )

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 26/01/2012 10:26  

it's a good thing. U should try getting your flying licence! THAT'S hard. Exams on meteorology, navigation, mechanics of engines/carbs, aerodynamics, law etc etc etc. The bike and car theory tests were SO easy I got 100% on both first time. Definitely need more in there about road discipline, mechanics, law etc. Also more "emergency" procedures ("what to do ifs?")

Update Reply
Matt @ 26/01/2012 10:43  

I don't see what's funny about someone failing their theory test. Having failed my practical bike test 4 times, after riding all year round for about 4 years without one near-miss or accident, I feel for the woman. I didn't fail my theory test more than once, the first time I took it. We can't all be prefect, natural riders/drivers. The figures also revealed that the person who has sat the most number of practical tests in the UK is a 39-year-old man from the West Midlands.Nice to know I aint the worst lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 26/01/2012 10:59  

PML @ typo I did of course mean perfect not prefect.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 26/01/2012 11:39  

i think that if you can not keep your car bike trike or lorry on your halve of the road its an accident waiting to happen . cos your going to meet someone who thinks the same , and bang ........ education is the name

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 26/01/2012 15:12  

Well in theory.. I just passed my Theory Test!! Did an online one 47/50 soooooooooo more than a little pleased with that!! Not sure if this news will effect me or not..

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 26/01/2012 18:23  

the thing is the theory test is 50 questions out of the following

Total questions : 1265
Generic questions : 523
Car specific questions : 432
Motorcycle specific questions : 302
Car specific and Generic questions : 963
Motorcycle specific and Generic questions : 833

these are drawn at random, (or supposed to be) are they trying to say peoples memories are THAT good ... or just that they screwed it up & actually only use a small selection of the possible questions?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 26/01/2012 18:34  

Oh my word lol.. I wouldnt have time to memorise the answers to all of those... I did this using 20 years of driving experience and a bit of common sense... ~ Think will wander off and do another one.. see if I theoretically pass again!

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 26/01/2012 18:37  

I know things have changed a lott since i sat my test ,,But you did need to know your highway code back to front cos they could ask a questions from any part of it..
does no harm to know the rules of the road. at the same time you should'nt need an HND in it

Update Reply
AlpineBusa @ 26/01/2012 21:18  

Well I did pass again... childs play to be honest! What got me was finding out about the Perception part of it.. the 15 minute video test... Truly didn't know.. made me feel sick!! But.. rather get it wrong in an armchair than on the road!!!

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 26/01/2012 21:22  

The perception test was a little controversial, and there is a tactic you need to understand to guarantee a pass. Unfortunately, it's geared towards new drivers / riders, with the best times to click for people who are not experienced in fully understanding how hazards develop.

If you are experienced, and click too early (even if you fully understand where the hazard is) you can still come out with 0 points. The trick is to therefore click when you see it, and click twice more a very short pause apart to ensure that you have at least one click within the point scoring range (no more, as the computer will regard it as random clicks and an attempt to guess - automatic 0 points).

The more experience you have, the greater risk you run of making this mistake. Driving instructors failed the original beta versions before the times were loosened a little.

Update Reply
Pharaoh @ 26/01/2012 23:16  

I've done and passed my theory test,
the night before the test I paged through a book for an hour, maybe 2... My point is, allot of it is common sense, if which sadly is not a common thing anymore. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> To me; making the theory test more difficult is more about generating more revenue... as many more people would have to re sit the test!<o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
virgoboy84 @ 26/01/2012 23:53  

No it's not. The theory test at present is way too easy.The bar needs to be raised.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/01/2012 00:04  

Thanks for that Pharaoh. I've been practicing with the dvd and it's doing my head in I've been driving since 1980 and cover more than the national average miles every year & got a pretty good record. I've also been riding a 125 for a year and a half ...but I'm finding practicing the hazard test so damn frustrating. I'm spotting 'potential' hazards and my instinct is to react e.g if there's a bunch of teenagers lurching around at the side of the road, or passing a group of pedestrians on a rural road without a footpath, but when I review the clip I've over-clicked. I actually scored zero in 2 out of 14 clips in one mock test (I still passed though, phew!) I've already concluded that there's a formula that I just wasn't spotting....and the key is to learn the mind set of the people who set the test, which isn't really very useful at all is it I've also got to resist trying to steer the vehicle with my pc mouse Honestly, it really is nuts...there's no peripheral vision so you can't judge correctly what's going to the side or behind you, and no indication which route the vehicle is going to take which is really unnerving when it turns a corner to the left. I nearly had heart failure when a motorcycle cut me up in one clip! In real life I would have been aware cos I would have seen the bike in my mirrors Jeez will be glad when this is over. Hope I don't end up lobbing my laptop through the window lol

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 27/01/2012 00:16  

Minnie.. I'm getting a copy sent... I only hope that with Pharaohs advice I don't end up with so many hours of frustration about it.. I cant afford to lose this laptop! Its my only means of communication right now lol.. Pharoah hun.. thank you for posting that... for sure it's gonna help no end.. I will reread your post a few times before I attempt the disc.. and Virgoboy.. way to go!! And XK... easy to say when you don't need to sit it.. and are you basing your "opinion" on the fact that you sat your test somewhere back in the late 1800's??

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 27/01/2012 00:23  

Absolutely rc. The biggest hazards xk had to worry about on his test was avoiding the chimney sweeps and vast piles of horse poo on the roads in those days Congrats virgoboy...how's the swerving coming on? oooeerrr, that's the next ordeal after this one

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 27/01/2012 00:42  

'The biggest hazards xk had to worry about on his test was avoiding the chimney sweeps and vast piles of horse poo on the roads in those days ' <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks Minnie, the swerving went really well... I did that part in Feb last year... The key for me was to accelerate hard once you come out of the bend, this ensures you keep your eyes in front of you, and not on the speedometer!! If you go as fast as possible (in your comfort zone) you won’t fail the minimum speed requirements.<o:p></o:p> Since then I have had quite a bit of 'real life swerve' practice commuting through London every day, I seem to be getting better at it. black cabs and Vespa’s are the foulest obstacles!!! <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape style="WIDTH: 12.75pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_5 type="#_x0000_t75" alt="Description: Cool" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="Cool" src="file:///C:\Users\sjooste\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
virgoboy84 @ 27/01/2012 01:07  

One thing to remember ladies, especially if you are driver or otherwise road-savvy is to not second guess or over evaluate the scenario. Watch the clips a few times to understand them and you'll see that they should be clear and unambiguous - they are nt in the game of 'trick questions'.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, take a look at the hazard perception test app - its worth a look. Not only does it simulate the test pretty well, it also shows you the scoring pattern, as well as showing what the actual hazards were.

By now there are probably a few , but the one I have in mind is very good quality and duplicates a mock test really well - I keep that and the sister app (the theory one) on my iPad for regular refresh. It can be an useful two or three minutes (you can set small numbers of random questions, based upon how much time you have free).

Update Reply
Pharaoh @ 28/01/2012 23:51  

I have passed theory for car bike and hgv the thing that gets me is all the haz perception questions are filmed from a car and programmed to react like your in a car. Unless they remake the test to account for the differences it should be one pass for all (perhaps have road questions module then 4 sections on car bike truck and bus and you find out which ones you have passed at the end, so if all you want is car and you pass it but fail bus not a drama.

Update Reply
Ho4701 @ 29/01/2012 11:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email