MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Filling Station biker friendly Cafe, Keswick

Filling Station biker friendly Cafe, Keswick - Forums [Biker Match] Filling Station biker friendly Cafe, Keswick - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Filling Station biker friendly Cafe, Keswick

The Filling Station Cafe finally opened for business in Keswick last weekend. Been keeping an eye on this one for a while cos they had to overcome planning objections, but they got there and it will be great to have this watering hole in the middle of the Lake District http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk/new-cafe-aimed-at-biker...ome/2.3080 https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Filling-Station-C...1022504997

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 09/12/2011 09:32  

Thanks for that Minnie for those who would like to know the post code is CA12 5PR http://www.lakesescape.co.uk/Lakes_Escape/Filling_Stati..._Cafe.html

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/12/2011 10:23  

Not a great time to open up a bike friendly cafe in the lakes lol

Update Reply
JP @ 09/12/2011 18:23  

One I'll try to visit next year

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/12/2011 19:03  

Thanks Min...well worth knowing about

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 09/12/2011 23:56  

hmmm agree with you JP...don't think I'll be venturing up on my bike in the next few days lol But I will be as soon as the weather improves. If the weather calms down a bit I might go up in the car to check it out on Sunday after the Borwick Hall xmas party

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 10/12/2011 00:02  

were abouts in keswick is it Min [to lazey to look]

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 10/12/2011 14:19  

150yds off the A66, ya lazy sod! lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/12/2011 18:19  

is that the 2nd exit of the A66 for Keswick or the 1st exit, sorry Sandy but it's just a pain jumping for site to site on my Blackberry

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 10/12/2011 19:41  

It's opposite the A591 turnoff, Bill. ie towards Kendal.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/12/2011 21:22  

I dunno Bill, it didn't say. PML @ the visual image I have of Billie (you keep spelling my name incorrectly ) jumping around on a blackberry

Update Reply
Sandi @ 12/12/2011 22:51  

sorry Sandy errrrrrrrrr Sandi

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 13/12/2011 00:56  

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/12/2011 00:57  

Planning on going up to the lakes to do some Christmas shopping this Saturday (weather permitting)
May give it a try.........Cheers Minnie

Update Reply
podnil @ 13/12/2011 11:25  

Hi podnil will you let us know what the place is like please?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/12/2011 11:48  

Hi there Sandi.
Called in today and had the all day breakfast. £6.95 and it was very filling. They do quite a good range of food and plenty of choices for hot drinks.
The two ladies who were running the cafe were very friendly. The setting was brilliant.......lovely and warm and there was loads of old TT posters on the wall, rock music played in the background and an old British bike displayed in the window.
Parking was a doddle.......on the old forecourt just in front of the window where the old petrol pumps used to be.
For those of you who fancied a beer, the Pheasant Inn was just over the road.
I`d recommend the cafe to anyone who is in the Keswick area. Not only would you be helping a new business get off the ground, but also it`s a biker cafe for us bikers

Update Reply
podnil @ 17/12/2011 21:00  

Hi all, I hope you don't mind but I found this thread when searching about our cafe. Great site you have here by the way, very sociable. We didn't intend to open the cafe in Winter, that was down to the lengthy planning fight we had due to the pub opposite starting a high-profile campaign against us, which was all anti-biker of course. Some details were posted in MCN earlier this year (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2011/May/Proposed-Lake-District-Biker-Cafe/). Their campaign led the town council to oppose our plans, which were only a small change of use from a petrol station/shop to a cafe. Issues raised by them at the town council meeting included statements such as "...these people don't bother waiting for toilets if there's a queue, they'll just urinate in the street". Yes, really! Anyhow, the campaign by the new tenants of the pub has backfire somewhat and many people now boycott it as a result.

The building we took on had been left unused for quite a few years and as well as the former forecourt we also have the long car park opposite the pub (which they used to use).

If anyone wants to use our cafe for any events please don't hesitate to get in touch as we aim to support all biking groups and clubs - we can even stay open until 9pm at weekends. You can find a link to a video of the cafe below and of course you can find us on Facebook (search for THE FILLING STATION CAFE)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY4WPFjqOgM

Update Reply
Lake @ 30/12/2011 21:41  

Just took a look at the cakes....swoon Right, that's just what I need to lure me up over Dunmail Raise on my little 125. Not had the courage yet to venture up to Keswick yet...But cake...and gingerbread latte...and dandelion and burpalot!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 30/12/2011 22:07  

Me, Madhat & Geordielass called in at the Filling Station Cafe in keswick today on our way back from the Roadburners Rock night in Maryport, and Keiron & the staff made these 3 fragile and delicate girlies very welcome. Lovely ambience, read the paper and reviving latte, chips and millionaires shortbread...all set in a fabby location nestling in Lake District mountains looking like they are covered in royal icing....yummy, yummy, yummy

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 29/01/2012 22:53  

If it's as welcoming and nice as it sounds it may be better to visit out of season, it could be heaving in the spring / summer months. Thanks for the info.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 30/01/2012 06:41  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email