MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Your favourite road…

Your favourite road… - Forums [Biker Match] Your favourite road… - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Your favourite road…

Mine is the A12 northbound. From Kesgrave (Ipswich) to Lowestoft for me it has everything, dual carriageways and in-between, B roads that were once national speed limits but now are reduced down to 50 mph, which are great for practising safety lines. So what’s yours?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 16:47  

up until yesterday it was the A1031 coast rd from skeggy to grimsby, nice and twisty with lot's of overtaking spots. But now it has to be from market rasen out through tealby, binbrook and picking up the a15 near laceby, through the wolds up down twists, fast straights, other than the road surface being a bit dodgy in places it;s fun but must be shown the upmost respect!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 16:54  

Know the road you're on about Dave... for me it has to be full length of Barton Street (A15) from Louth way, through Brigg, up to Caister Top. Then from there along Caister High Street towards Willingham Woods then back towards Louth via Ludford.... and not a single speed camera

Update Reply
gixergal @ 10/09/2011 16:58  

i haven't done the whole lot of that yet, although i have been told it's very nice. A15 is good from the louth end to laceby

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 17:03  

Oooh, now there's a question!

In the UK .. the A87 in Scotland from Invergarry to the Kyle of Lochalsh. Absolutely fantastic road, although in many places to truly enjoy it you have to be travelling at "about to get banned" speeds lol! Luckily, there's very few Policia up that far.

Outside the UK .. the Grimsel Pass in Switzerland.

Both roads are fast, well surfaced, half empty ribbons of mile after mile of amazing sweeping tarmac, both with awe inspiring scenery ... but out of the two the Grimsel has the edge, especially the bit near the dam.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/09/2011 17:08  

geoff,,,,thats my best bit (long stretch) of uk road,,,,,it was great last year,,,both times,,,and even better this year,,,,yet to find one to beat it,,,,,,good choice..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 18:18  

and yes,,,,,you have to make progress to enjoy it

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 18:19  

Gotta be the A39 from Bath all the way down to Cornwall
Goes through Glastonbury (best place in the country to stop for a cuppa) , absolutely awesome over Exmoor and wiggles around beautifully through Porlock and Lynton.
Speeds up big time down past Bude, Wadebridge and Newquay and ends in the gorgeous town of Falmouth
What's not to like?

Will admit to being slightly biased, since i live around here

As for abroad, definitely the D117 in the Pyrenees, starting perhaps in the middle and cutting right through and down to the Med.
WOW !! Stunningly beautiful scenery that changes from high peaks to lush forest to,basically, desert. One of those roads where you'd just wanted to turn around and ride it back again.

Update Reply
justjerry @ 10/09/2011 18:21  

perpignan upto Andorra, its proper james bond stuff up the pyrenne's....good road surfaces and amazing bends to play on...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 18:27  

We've got quite a nice little vid of our trip last year to Scotland Craig, including the A87 with Rach leading, I'll send you a link.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/09/2011 19:32  

Sorry folks, that should have been by PM really.

G

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/09/2011 19:34  

a49

Update Reply
xv1700 @ 10/09/2011 20:29  

A2 glenarm to Ballycastle in N Ireland 35 miles of pure heaven Fort William to Mallaig and Grantown to Ballater in Scotland both close to where my daughter lives. any road with no cops and no cameras! any road with NO cars!!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 10/09/2011 20:57  

A5 Llangollen to Llanwryst, and stop at lake Ogwen and watch the boys from RAF Valley fly through the hills skimming surface of the lake, (slight exageration but almost), awesome!!!!!!!

Update Reply
wenders @ 14/09/2011 11:33  

Like Geoff, I too vote for the A87. But don't stop at Lochalsh. Not the A87 I know, but carry on around Loch Carron, and take the road over the pass to Applecross. Take your time and enjoy the scenery - the view from the top of the pass over to the Isle of Skye is . Have some nosh at the excellent Applecross Inn before continuing north along the coast road and rejoin the A896. Return home or better still carry on up the A896 / A832 to Ullapool. That's as far as I've been, and I've yet to find owt better.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/09/2011 13:07  

any Scottish road route suits me down to the ground!! check out the routes that the Buccleuch Arms (Moffat) has on offer and you WONT be disappointed

most routes through Wales Some down in the Southwest

Basicly any road where i'm on the bike and not in the car!!

Update Reply
Stroggyman @ 14/09/2011 14:38  

"Take your time and enjoy the scenery"

Surely XK, you mean take your time or risk riding off the edge of a very big drop lol?? Yes, the Applecross road is awesome, but it really takes no prisoners.

For evidence, check out the photo of the yellow Ducati on my profile!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 14/09/2011 18:04  

A5004 (Long Hill)out off buxton its only a couple of miles long but omg what amazing scrapping road, plus the scenery is lovely if you wish to take your time to admire it

Update Reply
shawy42 @ 14/09/2011 18:11  

D 907 bis from Ispagnac to Les Vignes following the Tarn river

Update Reply
bbbent @ 14/09/2011 18:18  

Has to be the B4368 from Morville, shrops to Craven Arms it's only 18 miles long but has everything

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/09/2011 19:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email