MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Spain 2012

Spain 2012 - Forums [Biker Match] Spain 2012 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Spain 2012

Just to give you all a heads up on a spain trip i will be running so people can get questions in early and start saving. This will be an 8 day trip Day1 ride down to portsmouth (do your own route make it a good one) Day 2 ferry accross to santander Day 3 Arrive in santander drop kit off in bilbao and head in to the mountians Day 4 mountian routes - back to bilbao in evening Day 5 mountian routes - back to bilbao in evening Day 6 Mountian routes - back to bilbao in evening Day 7 Pack up day riding ending at santander ferry port to catch ferry home Day 8 arrive in old blighty Hotels tend to be Ibis double or twin rooms and the ferry is based on 4 people sharing a 4 berth cabin - keeps the prices affordable. Any questions ask if you have never been abroad before this is great for you i have lots of tips hand help ive been in and out of spain for the past 10 years. fronkey http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/event_details.asp?event_id=1787

Update Reply
fronkey @ 05/07/2011 15:34  

Funny you should mention this me & Spesh are off to Spain in August, Going Portsmouth - Santander & then off down to near Marbella. Reckon it'll take us 2 stop overs to get down there (once in Spain), but not too sure whereabouts to stop so if you've got any advice on anyplace good to stay for the night we'd most appreciate it...not planning on going on their motorways though. Cheers Stella

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 05/07/2011 15:42  

Stella

There are a number of very beautiful cities in central Spain, several of which are World Heritage sites.

One of these is a walled city called Avila which can't be that far of your route if you're going from Santander to Marbella and is pretty much half way as well. I'd look there if I was you.

Another option, although this may be too far south and too out of the way is Merida, which is one of the most amazing cities I've ever been too. If you decide on this though, don't book a hotel in the city centre, because it's on the top of a really big hill (there are outdoor escalators to get tourists up there ... I kid you not!) and all the streets are really narrow and cobbled. However, there are a number of very nice hotels around the bottom of the hill in the New Merida area.

I've stayed in both of these cities and they're stunning, although my choice if possible would be Merida. (You could even tie it in with a visit to Caceres to see the aquaduct running over the city.)

If you want more info, let me know.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 05/07/2011 15:52  

This sounds like a good trip......need to get the carpel tunnel sorted though to be able to ride the miles!!!!

I'm a possible

Update Reply
loving it @ 05/07/2011 17:03  

May be up for this - have to save me pennies

Update Reply
Big Al.. @ 05/07/2011 17:31  

sounds like a great trip, and a good time of year. Don't go in July like I have (here now) - it's painfully hot. Ok I'm on the south coast near Morocco so I should have expected it really.

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/07/2011 18:42  

its just a quick trip over to al mahreb morrocco as well while you in the vacinity ...

madrid is good (El prada) as is barcelona, (Gaudi) also has large outdoor excalatiors to get up gaudis park, valencia, oldy worldy, granada (great with the palace)gardents etc

Down through the centre as well the mountains houses etc all on the way to marbella

Update Reply
earthwind @ 05/07/2011 19:31  

Fronkey, Sign me up for this trip, getting time off no problem. Just let me have the details when you have finalised trip.

Update Reply
triple1 @ 05/07/2011 20:00  

Sweet - I love north Spain the roads are amazing and so quiet also they tend to have shell grip on the corners in the mountains - grippy just doesn't do it justice.

The ferry crossing is cool to with a pool and cinema on the boat! I'll post some pictures of previous trips

Update Reply
fronkey @ 05/07/2011 22:16  

I've done the Plymouth - Santander and I concur, the Santander ferries are very good indeed, probably the best I've been on.

Indeed, on the return trip there was a small "band" travelling who took over the piano lounge (the resident pianist sat down and enjoyed the show lol) and it was a brilliant night.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 05/07/2011 22:58  

Was thinking travelling to Spain next year, might be an option to go with you guys!!

Update Reply
Bat @ 05/07/2011 23:24  

could be a possibility for me but would't know till late on

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 05/07/2011 23:40  

Funny you should mention this me & Spesh are off to Spain in August, Going Portsmouth - Santander & then off down to near Marbella. Reckon it'll take us 2 stop overs to get down there (once in Spain), but not too sure whereabouts to stop so if you've got any advice on anyplace good to stay for the night we'd most appreciate it...not planning on going on their motorways though. I once managed from santanger to fengorola in a day!! on an SV650 if you get the chance -dont do it lol. Try heading down via leon (turn figh out of santander) thats a good route hostels in spain are actually like motels and are all ensuite private rooms and very cheap.

Update Reply
fronkey @ 06/07/2011 09:19  

What sort of daily mileage are you thinking of doing?.....i only ask, because if i don't manage to get my carple tunnel sorted this winter i need to know i can keep up.

Update Reply
loving it @ 06/07/2011 12:10  

actually not that bad 100-150 max if that. I ride an R1 and im happy enough but I well say some of the roads are very twisty and heavy on the brakes which means heavy on the wrists.

Update Reply
fronkey @ 06/07/2011 16:42  

so we're only having short rides then

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 06/07/2011 17:00  

Funny you should mention this me & Spesh are off to Spain in August, Going Portsmouth - Santander & then off down to near Marbella. Reckon it'll take us 2 stop overs to get down there (once in Spain), but not too sure whereabouts to stop so if you've got any advice on anyplace good to stay for the night we'd most appreciate it...not planning on going on their motorways though. hfg don't necessarily dismiss the A67, the motorway between Santander & Burgos...It's bloody amazing. What an engineering feat. We had never encountered gradients on a motorway like that before and the route through the picos de Europa mountains is stunning...this is a very wild and dramatic, and green part of Spain... I really envy you

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/07/2011 22:21  

i tghink it looks good i wasnt able to go on the germany trip this year (lack of funds) maybe by next year i will

Update Reply
earthwind @ 06/07/2011 23:45  

Ooops think I made a boo boo the far out amazing spanish motorway I was thinking of is actually the A66 which is further west lol...but picos are definitely worth visiting if you can

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 07/07/2011 00:11  

Could manage that mileage Fronkey, no problem......Look forward to seeing the full plans.

Update Reply
loving it @ 07/07/2011 11:51  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email