MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Confessions of a road safety engineer

Confessions of a road safety engineer - Forums [Biker Match] Confessions of a road safety engineer - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Confessions of a road safety engineer

Oh, what a hard life I live! As part of the B-Safe initiative being led by North Yorkshire, the TRL have rigged a Fireblade up with cameras and data logging equipment. The idea is to record and analyse the issues faced by bikers by other motorists. And I'm one of the participants. Quite simply, I've been handed the keys to said motorcycle and told "You've got a month, go have fun!" Hopefully the data that I (and others before me) generate will go some way to reducing the accident rates for bikes and could possibly even lead to alterations in the car driving test.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 21/04/2011 23:09  

Good luck with that one Geoff, I'm not sure how data can reduce accident rates but any update to other road users awareness is a good thing for bikers.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 21/04/2011 23:25  

can i have a go Geoff

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 22/04/2011 01:02  

its a tough life, but someones got to do it :-)

Update Reply
SPESH @ 22/04/2011 06:03  

I bet you'll have plenty of fun miles doing that one Geoff, and I do hope some usefull results come from it, but its suprising that your higher-ups didn't think of making you do it in winter! Although, I think a pair of forward firing AK-47's would be more likely to keep most idiot car/van drivers more alert, at least make em look out for us, and think more. (Dare I risk pulling out in front of this bike,.. he could just be armed with more than a two-fingered salute)!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 22/04/2011 18:50  

and you actually get paid for that Geoff? Grrr!!!! lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 22/04/2011 18:58  

PML @ Matt, me-ow

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/04/2011 09:05  

Geoff...Smug?......never.....

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 23/04/2011 09:52  

This has been going on quite a while, I did some work for an unnamed gummint dept at MIRA who said the bike was operating around the Bristol area then ( June last year) Nice to see some people do actually have concerns about our hazzards. Nice one froggie.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 23/04/2011 14:16  

Well hopefully something good will come of it for us all.

You're all welcome lol!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 23/04/2011 15:27  

PS: I'm not in the least bit jeleous...nope not me.. (have we got a green eyed emote?)

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 23/04/2011 17:03  

so when they ban bikes for being too dangerouse its all Geoff's fault

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 23/04/2011 17:39  

"so when they ban bikes for being too dangerous its all Geoff's fault"

Hey, everything else "road safety" related is my fault! So why not lol!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 28/04/2011 11:04  

Bikes arn't dangerous, cept if Roachy's about! (scarpers, pronto like!)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/04/2011 17:27  

Just as well you ALWAYS stick to the speed limits when riding :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/05/2011 19:59  

One Fireblade, one month and fifteen hundred miles later ...

The 'blade goes back tomorrow. Some men are coming in a van to take it away from me. Given that they know exactly where I've been all month, how I've been riding and how fast I've been going, I'm hoping there isn't a second van for me!

(I'm never going to post on this forum or any other what speeds I have done on this bike as it could be highly self incriminating!)

Just got off the phone to the guy managing the exercise who says I've given them lots of very interesting data, including wheel slip on new surfacing, the issues faced by bikers by poor surfacing generally, problems caused by drivers not being observant enough where bikes are concerned (like we didn't know that already lol!) and even a couple of incidents showing how motorists can try and force a bike out of the way.

He was particularly interested in seeing the data and vids I'd produced recently showing group riding. Their thoughts regarding this was that based upon the data they now have, the way bikes are generally ridden, although not totally legal at times (ahem), is not considered dangerous. Which, he said, confirms that dangerous bikers are thankfully, in the minority. I did point out that the information he had was from a RoSPA ride out and as such may a little artificial, but he still thought it was very good data.

The data will now be properly analysed and the results sent to local authorities and other bodies around the country and should bring some changes to such matters as making motorists more aware of bikes, surfacing design and possibly in the longer term, improvements to the bike test and car test.

If all it does is proves to all the highway engineers around the country the dangers of stone mastic asphalt, then I'll be very happy.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 19/05/2011 13:44  

Nice one Geoff - of course you hated every single minute of it didn't you ?

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 19/05/2011 16:11  

It was torture!

Actually, thinking about it, on occasion, being stuck on a Fireblade in heavy traffic everyday could be described as a form of torture!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 19/05/2011 17:02  

And now all the bike friendly info will be carefully filed away in oblivion, while any negative info will be highly publicized!

Hopefully not but don't hold yer breath!

Update Reply
YID @ 19/05/2011 18:30  

That's it, think positive lol!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 19/05/2011 19:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email