MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Open or Full faced helmets??????

Open or Full faced helmets?????? - Forums [Biker Match] Open or Full faced helmets?????? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Open or Full faced helmets??????

I remember when I was learning to ride many years ago we were shown a horrific photo of someone that had come off wearing an open facer, shocking - I remember thinking, never will I ride with one. Last year I bought one for lovely days and loved the sense of freedom, increased visibility etc. I did get whacked on the lip with a bee, reaching my destination with a lip like Elvis lol. I have to say I very rarely wear it now and am interested on folks views? Good, Bad, Indifferent or................have your say :-

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 02/03/2011 16:28  

I wore an open faced helmet for my first few years of riding which accouts for the battered looks lol ... as the bikes got bigger & faster i found it almost imposible to keep the damn thing on my head so went to a full faced helmet & am happy to keep the flies out of my teeth for as long as i can ride scoobs !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/03/2011 18:07  

Open face for me, i don't like full face lids, i like to see where i'm going.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 02/03/2011 18:40  

both ,, depends what im riding and how warm it is.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/03/2011 18:59  

I've never fancied an open faced lid, it's not something i've ever considered. I suppose i feel a bit safer in a full face.

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 02/03/2011 21:23  

shorty helmet for me

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/03/2011 21:39  

The one major accident i've been in resulted in me landing face first into a pub car park. If i'd been wearing an open face helmet, i wouldn't have a face anymore. ground away a lot of the chin bar. up to you tho.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 02/03/2011 23:23  

I have an open face that I wear on hot days for short to medium trips but for any sort of distance and winter I have a flip front

Update Reply
pondlife @ 03/03/2011 06:01  

i never wear an open faced helmet i value having a face simples!!

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 03/03/2011 12:02  

full face for me dont like pottes

Update Reply
kaycat @ 03/03/2011 12:04  

I've got both and most of the time I opt for the full face one, one reason being that I have since started to suffer from hayfever ....ehm do the do full face helmets with a hepa filter?

Update Reply
Santa3644 @ 03/03/2011 20:49  

Ye full face lids for me all the way here..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/03/2011 21:00  

I once had a whopping great insect hit me right in my open eye. The pain was horrendous and my eye, not the eyelid but my eyeball swelled up and was like a huge ball of yucky jelly that took weeks to recover. Have a full face now....but I do still enjoy riding with my visor up at low speed

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/03/2011 21:30  

flip lid best of both worlds but very rarely have it up unless yacking to someone. As for the comments that open lids give you more vision then there are loads of ones out there that are as good enclosed.

And vision is about moving ur head not your eyes

rather be safe

Update Reply
madscots @ 03/03/2011 22:35  

People who think that open faced lids give you better vision either don't know what they're on about or spend all their time looking directly downwards!

Modern full face lids have excellent all round vision. I wear an Arai RX7 GP and I struggle to look far enough to either side to see the sides of the helmet clearly.

I used to instruct learners for Wakefield council (in a past life lol) and there was a lady instructor there who had always wore an open face helmet and swore by them. She had always ridden 125 scooters and so had never felt the need for a full face.

Then one day we heard that she had come off and had slid down the road on her face.

She never instructed again and spent the next few years undergoing facial reconstruction surgeries.

I think open face helmets are dangerous and should be banned.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/03/2011 22:54  

Got to be full face for me...If you saw the marks on the chin & visor of my full face helmet you,d understand why...I can,t afford to look more damaged than I already do!.. Might be having me one of those flip front lids from Lidl though..

Update Reply
old red @ 03/03/2011 23:07  

Carberg Trip £85 crash tested by me at 130mph on Nurburgring

I don't buy anything else since

Update Reply
madscots @ 03/03/2011 23:41  

It is a Carbeg I have, the flip top is excellent as is the enclosed sun visor. I do miss the open facer for short journeys in the summer. Older now and have heard so many horror stories. Have kept it though. It has been really interesting hearing folks views - keep them coming

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 04/03/2011 00:40  

Has to be a full face lid for me for the same reasons as posted above, but I wouldn't ban the open face ones purely on freedom of choice.
I did buy a Lidl flip one a few years ago for use on my 125 commuter bike, tried it with my zx9 and it was horrendously noisy and draughty compared to my Schuberth full face. Anything over 50 mph and it was trying to pull my face off in the wind.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 04/03/2011 07:54  

I have both and the open face gives you much better peripheral vision by a country mile.

The Arai SZ-F is the most comfortable helmet and the visor covers your face - safe from bugs!

The full face is what I use in the colder months.

Horses for courses I guess.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/03/2011 10:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email