MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Open or Full faced helmets??????

Open or Full faced helmets?????? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Open or Full faced helmets?????? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Open or Full faced helmets??????

Full face, I like to breath when I'm travelling on a bike, altho I do ride with the visor up for a few seconds to get a blast of air; to wake me up usually lol I strongly recommend not wearing an open face lid, due to the lack of protection in an accident, and think it should be illegal for children to wear them, forcing parents / responsible adults to provide a full face lid.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/03/2011 08:41  

Full-face for me on the road, Caberg V2R with the inner sun visor, though may be going for a Schuberth next. Only wear open-face when i'm off road doing my trials nonsense, lol. Hmmmmm, childrem on pilly Sandi, now there is another subject !!! Regards Brat

Update Reply
Brathu @ 06/03/2011 09:05  

Think i meant 'chidren', lol.

Update Reply
Brathu @ 06/03/2011 09:06  

Not ones too small to reach the pegs, that's illegal anyway.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/03/2011 09:21  

Hmmmm I like the idea of an open face, it's more roughy toughy old school biker......however ( before every bugger kicks my ass ) full face helmets make sense, I have a flip front myself, and I swear by it, low speeds flip up, hi speeds flip down, must get myself a Caberg when I got the spare readies

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/03/2011 16:26  

Years ago my younger brother overtook a car indicating left but of course he turned right, over the bonnet he went and over a low wall shattering his jaw on the way, wired up for weeks and eating thru a straw. Who prefers open face?? While I'm here I was led to believe flip helmets were illegal to use whilst flipped, all that leverage on your neck should you have a mishap, the ones that go right over the back are legal. Does anyone know any better for definite.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 19/03/2011 17:12  

If you take a smaller child on a bike DO NOT give them a full face to wear. If they are involved in a accident, their necks are not strong enough to withstand the whip lash.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 19/03/2011 17:16  

Not sure about that Harry mate, I have certainly ridden past motorcycle cops with my lid flipped up, and have never been pulled, so I am unsure if it is illegal, and surely if it is there should be some kind of disclaimer in the shop where one purchased siad lid from ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/03/2011 17:43  

If the lid is tested as a full face the flip should be down, helmets like the roof where the chin bar goes over the top are tested as an open face and can be ridden with the chin up

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 19/03/2011 18:19  

Ahhh see you learn somfink new every day , thanks for the heads up on this, I shall be more aware from now on !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/03/2011 18:33  

What you all need to remember is that with a full face is that any impact on the chin bar is going to be transfered to your neck. Which would you rather have - five years eating through a straw, or the rest of your life in a wheel chair?

And as regards to children, i believe that the ACU mandate open face helmets for juniors - because the neck, head and spinal bones are not fully formed any impact is much worse.

Update Reply
axomoxia @ 20/03/2011 19:18  

After reading all the comments here it seems that this is all down to personal choice! Both type are legal so really it is what you are comforable with! I use a full face but have the visor up most of the time. Just got used to wearing one when I used to race my landrover as it was a requirement back then.

Update Reply
RobL @ 22/03/2011 10:41  

I like flip fronts, mine is a Caberg. I wouldn't wear an open face helmet, cos who wants to eat flies?! Yuk. You guys can catch em in your beards and eat em later But a few years back while pillioning with a mate we had an accident and I slid on my chin. Boy was I glad I was wearing a full face helmet. Don't think i could be persuaded now to have open face. Can vaguely remember when a helmet wasn't legal at all ....... jeez !

Update Reply
suzyamki @ 22/03/2011 20:39  

Erm I do mean wasn't "ILLEGAL", was hoping you wouldnt spot the mistake

Update Reply
suzyamki @ 22/03/2011 20:43  

I have a Caberg flip front helmet with integral sun visor - very good

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 23/03/2011 18:58  

How do you tell how fast you're going without the wind in your face?

Update Reply
ItsMrToYouSonny @ 29/03/2011 00:08  

I've a little dial on the bike near to the handlebars. When the needle points to 100, there are little blue lights appearing in the mirrors. When the needle gets to 170, they go. I wonder why....

:)

Update Reply
axomoxia @ 29/03/2011 19:45  

Not owned an open face in years. Started off on a moped, then had a Yamaha RD200 followed by ab RD 350 B. Changed to a fullface while I had the 350. A couple of mentions on here about insects. Went to Cornwall to see my relatives, years ago and borrowed an openface, because the weather was so good. Got smacked right on the end of my nose, by a bumble. It took about 15 mins to stop my eyes watering!.

Came back to bikes about 6 years ago. While out for a ride with mates, close to Jodrell Bank, a bird flew up from the other side of the road. I ducked, (no pun intended), instinctively, but it hit me on the right hand side of my helmet, cheek area. I t felt like I had been punched!. Lost my line and just avoided going up the verge. Went to see how big a bird it was and, it was a Blackbird!. It felt like an Iron Crow!.
Blood, Shit and feathers all over helmet and jacket, mates thought it was hilarious, poor bird dead of course!.
You never expect things like that but, I reckon in an openface may have been looking at a serious eye injury at least.

I'd never tell anyone what they should or shouldnt do but, I reckon I'll stick to fullface. Caberg seem to be getting good reviews on here!.

Update Reply
clarkee @ 02/04/2011 16:30  

Full face with me all the time as the above post that clarkee said.. Like my visor blackout too..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/04/2011 17:31  

I use a Caberg Flip, Fine Sub 100 mph bit windy above,(but dont spend much time above 100 !!!) So absplutely the best for me! most of the people i know who insist on nothing but open faced US Biker wannabees! (enter Filo Beddoe!! Sha naa naa naaa naaa naaa!) Helmets and P**s pots wouldnt look any worse without half a face anyway!!! Not intended to offend US Biker wannabees! (enter Filo Beddoe!! Sha naa naa naaa naaa naaa!) in open faced Helmets and P**s pots !

Update Reply
The Dark One @ 03/04/2011 11:18  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email