MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back?

Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back? (4) - Forums [Biker Match] Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back? (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back?

its a deterrent to repeat offenders :) with DNA its a lot easier to be certain u have the right person. some people undoubtedly deserve the death penalty. unfortunately u could never trust the police, the scientists who process the dna and evidence or the justice system to not get it wrong so id say no

Update Reply
dunans @ 12/01/2011 21:23  

That's fine Dyna', what I'm saying no matter what your view, unless it is backed by evidence it can't be shown it is a deterrent only an opinion. My OPINION would remain the same regardless of any deterrent effect. It's wrong plain and simple. For those that support it, evidence or not and IMO the onus is on them, the inverse is true i.e it's not wrong.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 12/01/2011 21:30  

In the main dunans it CAN show they were there at some time, not necessarily in the time frame that it occurred, or that they committed the crime. Why do people think that DNA makes things fool-proof. It doesn't, it indicates a need for evidence.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 12/01/2011 21:34  

@Letthegoodtimesrol
If we are going to put things into base terms, then I prefer to active than re-active.

Conundrum for you:
- Iraq had no nuclear weapons, they got invaded.
- Iran has (we think) nuclear weapons, as yet have not been invaded, why? - Deterrent. Its the threat of use of power, not the actual distribution that is the deterrent.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 12/01/2011 22:33  

If you have the threat - how long before you use it???

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 12/01/2011 22:52  

We've as a country have had nuclear missiles for a great many years & not used them or needed to = deterrent We have no death penalty for top level crime = no deterrant. would it make a differance ? i think so, prove me wrong ! As for the comments about living in a civilised world, dont make me laugh.... please !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/01/2011 08:11  

do i think the death sentence should be brought back >>?

without a shadow of a doubt yes!!!! why should decent law abiding folks pay taxes to keep the fkrs alive.they have a better quality of living inside then a lot of on benefits.

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 13/01/2011 10:46  

prison isnt a soft option and its not about humiliation but about depriving you of your freedom while you undergo rehabilition to rejoin a conventional society.....its not meant to be a deterrant. BTW how many on this site would consider themselves "morally conventional"??? Question for you.....how many people who are parents on here smack their children? How many use "time out" to discipline? Prison is supposed to be the adult equilivent of time out. @Scooby the UK had the death penalty until 1963 was it a deterrant- well the figures suggest it probably wasnt. there were still paedos and murderers and combinations of the two. - think Hindley/Brady who committed all their crimes before the death penalty was abolished but werent executed as it was repealed a few weeks before their trial began.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 13/01/2011 13:31  

@kwakgirl I've never been to prison so cannot say if being there is a holiday or not, in some i suspect it's not and in other's it probably is, you get a TV in your room or so i hear, and 3 meals a day, a gym to use, and a etc....etc, But to reply to your comment, there was a very well publicised case a few years ago when some little oik, committed a crime can't remember what ti was now, but the CPS sent him on a holiday to the sun, because and i quote "he didn't realise he had done wrong, and to punish him was wrong" When ever this topic gets spoken about, there seems to be a lot about civil liberties, or the rights of the criminal, well how about the rights of the poor people how have had thier lives shattered by the criminal's, there does seem to be much said about the innocent parties civil liberties now does there, that seems to get forgotten about, by the wrap them up in cotton wall brigade. We seem to have it all wrong in the UK, perhpas we should have a death row, to establish if the wrog doer is 100% guilty or not and if it's proved they are then the death prnalty should be used in extreme cases of premeditated murder or drug dealing etc,etc.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/01/2011 14:56  

yes i remember the case and i agree a very soft option on the outside but who knows what really goes on. I had a aunt who was a social worker who worked on a very high profile case who basically said you dont see or understand what goes on in some peoples lives so try not to judge to harshly. If you take a child and leave it with wild animals does it grow up normal with social responsibility and able to live in a "normal" human society or does it take the lessons learned from up bringing and apply them. So while i agree it was an apparently soft option if you grow up in an immoral household and rarely go to school how would you know the difference between right and wrong??? where do you learn it...its not something you're born with....is it?

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 13/01/2011 15:50  

ps you do get a tv in ur room to keep you occupied but you are also locked in your cell from 2pm on saturdays til 7.30am sunday and the same sundays. you also have access to books, schooling and the gym. if you didnt provide some sort of relief from the boredom how many staff would you need to keep control? all the other perks are earned.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 13/01/2011 15:52  

Show me the evidence of the deterrent effect all of you that support this say is a fact. This should come from a reputable and verifiable source/study. There's so much crap on the inter-web and most of it formed by personal opinion. If you're going to have an opinion base it on fact I think. Ha ha ha, the nuclear thing. How relevant is that, are you lot serious? How many countries who haven't got the bomb have been bombed?

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 13/01/2011 15:57  

Yep that's very true, i have to agree with your first answer, i know from personal experience, it has be said the parents are responsible for most of the ill's in society, It's this it wasn't my little johnny mentality, you get from some people or you get a mouthful of abuse from the parents if you question why their offspring has damaged your car or property, Personally we're on a slippery slope, and no matter of governement interventure (is that a word) will cease this slide, possibly a little pessimistic, at least that way i won't be dissapointed when society decends into chaos

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/01/2011 16:01  

I'm still fairly unclear on who favours this idea and who doesn't , so... I've created a poll... Click on the link to vote....... http://www.poll4you.com/showpoll.php?id=35116&a...k (would it possible for a MOD/ADMIN to put this link in the OP please?)

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 13/01/2011 16:25  

I can see what you're trying to achieve Dyna' but that also shows that people will form an opinion without knowing the facts. Oooo, hang on there's 4 already!

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 13/01/2011 17:15  

people form an oppinion without knowing the facts every polling day and each and every one has exactly the same rights to be heard as the ones who do know the facts

Update Reply
dunans @ 13/01/2011 18:28  

Yes they do Dunans, but does that make it right? And on polling day you at least have a manifesto to consult. Truth of the matter MOST people vote for what they think is best for them and that's what's happening here, a "cull" of undesirables. What we're talking about here is the people that vote yes are prepared to kill without knowing the facts and trusting the "system".

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 13/01/2011 18:46  

course it makes it right its the only way . you cant force people to study facts and u cant decide who can vote and who cant. one thing is for sure if bringing back capital punishment goes to referendum it will be brought back

Update Reply
dunans @ 13/01/2011 19:22  

It's obviously not the only way Dun' you accept that yourself by admitting you can't force people to look up the facts and they are prepared to make such a big decision without doing so. Pretty stupid in my book! And I never said a decision on the electorate could-be made. Stop speaking for me! I don't doubt that if it went to referendum it would come back. That's a result of the sheep-like mind-set and people just aren't prepared to think and !plough their own furrow".

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 13/01/2011 19:37  

it will never go to a referendum.....because politicians know that the electorate arent interested in facts they mostly do what they're told by whichever rag they read or whatever daytime tv they watch. there have been 3 votes in the last 25 years or so in the house of commons....they were all free votes i.e the MP could vote according to conscience and not as instructed by his/her party. all were heavily defeated....and it highly unlikely there will be another vote on it in the next 10 years or more because of the amount of work involved in framing the legislation, consultations etc which has to take place before there can ever be a vote. so really its all academic isnt it.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 13/01/2011 19:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email