MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back?

Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back? (7) - Forums [Biker Match] Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back? (7) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Death Penalty~ Should it be brought back?

OK Dyna'!

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 14/01/2011 20:19  

It's when that opinion is formed by "fact" and no evidence to substantiate it is put forward when requested I have a problem taking that opinion seriously

We can all come up with facts some where to support our opinions, for myself, it's when people start saying ' your fact is wrong mine is right' and refuse to accept anothers right to hold that opinion that I have a problem with.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/01/2011 07:01  

Oh & my fact & evidence for my opinion ... The Bible prescribes death for murder and many other crimes including kidnapping and witchcraft.

The rates for unlawful killings in Britain have more than doubled since abolition of capital punishment in 1964 from 0.68 per 100,000 of the population to 1 .42 per 100,000. Home Office figures show around unlawful killings 300 in 1964, which rose to 565 in 1994 and 833 in 2004. The figure for homicides in 2007 was 734. The principal causes of homicide are fights involving fists and feet, stabbing and cutting by glass or a broken bottle, shooting and strangling. 72% of the victims were male with younger men being most at risk. Convictions for the actual crime of murder (as against manslaughter and other unlawful killings) have also been rising inexorably. Between 1900 and 1965 they ran at an average of 29 per year. There were 57 in 1965 – the first year of abolition. Ten years later the total for the year was 107 which rose to 173 by 1985 and 214 in 1995. There have been 71 murders committed by people who have been released after serving "life sentences" in the period between 1965 and 1998 according to Home Office statistics. Some 6,300 people are currently serving sentences of “life in prison” for murder. Figures released in 2009 show that since 1997, 65 prisoners who were released after serving life were convicted of a further crime. These included two murders, one suspected murder, one attempted murder, three rapes and two instances of grievous bodily harm. The same document also noted that 304 people given life sentences since January 1997 served less than 10 years of them, actually in prison.Statistics were kept for the 5 years that capital punishment was suspended in Britain (1965-1969) and these showed a 125% rise in murders that would have attracted a death sentence.Does the death penalty deter? It is hard to prove one way or the other, It would, however, seem that in those countries (e.g. Singapore) which almost always carry out death sentences, there is far less serious crime. This tends to indicate that the death penalty is a deterrent, but only where execution is a virtual certainty.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/01/2011 09:18  

Anything from the bible can't IMO be regarded as fact. BUT the other stuff you have posted appears to-be the result of studies. Which is fine and what I've been asking for all along! So cheers Shell.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 15/01/2011 09:32  

Not in my name either. Too many mistakes in our justice system and as for the sickos, well they are just that. Sick. To commit some of the crimes that they do they cannot be wired up the same as the rest of us.
They need serious help and yes they must be incarcerated to prevent further offending but we should not be devoid of compassion. On the other hand, if somebody gets absolutely bladdered and drives a vehicle resulting in someones death then they are just as if not more guilty.

Update Reply
Blackie @ 15/01/2011 21:32  

The problem i have with all this, is prison as KG says is there to rehabiltate offenders and send them back into society a reformed indevidual, well my problem is we as a society don't need these sort of people roaming free, Just how many people have been stabbed and killed by people let out from the looney bin or prison..... too many is my answer. So then the answer is to keep tham all locked up, at the tax payers expense, so they can have a TV, a gym and 3 square meals a day at our expense, and why...... Because they've killed someones son/daughter/father/ brother or mother... And when the judicial system is putting speeding motorist's in jail and and kilelrs/drug dealers are allowed to run amock this this wrong, sorry if that disagree's with the concensuse but thats how i feel.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2011 18:06  

the justice system is a complete fck up but we all know that you will get a longer sentence for stealing a few quid or doing something just plain anti social than you will get for manslaughter, murder or even causing death by dangerous driving where you have a good chance of walking away with a community order. The death penalty will cloud the issues still further. Juries are notoriously unpredictable and im guessing it is becoming more and more difficult to find "12 good men and true"! the whole system needs reform before you start to think about detail like tougher sentencing....consistent sentencing would be a start.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/01/2011 19:33  

BTW are you advocating capital punishment for those who murder while suffering mental incapacity??????

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/01/2011 19:34  

@KG, Ummm am I, yep i think i might be, But i know what your going to say they don't know they are doing wrong, but someone that carries a knife is doing so for one reason only, thats to use it !! There was a case you probably remember where a guy was let out on care in the community and he knifed a girl and killed her not so many years ago now, Murder is murder after all, someone has died at the hands of another whether they are sane, insane if its premeditated or not, if we are going to have capital punishment lets have it we can't have it for a some and not for others, who have killed, Unless it's perhaps causing death by misadventure which IMHO is for example your out driving along and someone walks off the pavement in front of you not giving you a cats chance in hell of stopping, and they were to die from their injuries, then there should be a reason to be more moderate in the laws response, But death caused by knife crime, shooting, selling hard drug's should be treated a lot harder, Yes and i know the moderates don't like all this, but crime is rife in the country, every other week you hear about someone getting shot or knifed, it's about time there were harder penalties for this, IMHO..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2011 20:32  

tell you what lets euthanise the mentally and physically impaired at birth and just have done with it eh????? while we at it we should execute anyone in the army who ever killed anyone else coz thats murder right???? oh yeah and the woman you kills the abusive husband oh and what about the kid whos been abused all their lives and is mentally scared and goes on to kill the abuser????? im gonna go sit in a dark room now and ponder what it means to be human

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/01/2011 20:46  

** lets euthanise the mentally and physically impaired at birth and just have done with it eh?????
That wasn't what i was saying if you'd read it, **while we at it we should execute anyone in the army who ever killed anyone else coz thats murder right???? ** Well funny you should mention that cos' not so long ago soldiers were getting brought up on charges while serviing thier country which is just plan stupid, And the following falls under reasons to be more moderate in the laws respose.... **oh yeah and the woman who kills the abusive husband oh and what about the kid whos been abused all their lives and is mentally scared and goes on to kill the abuser?????** Where we shoudn't be more moderate where as i've mentioned before, but this going to go on and no, and it seems there are always going to be people who think the death penatly is a good idea and some who think it's wrong, but at the end of all that murder is still murder and the law should come down hard on knife/gun and drug crime that causes someone to die at the hands of a someone else.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2011 21:14  

well by your own definition Blade you are advocating STATE SPONSORED MURDER! What a contradiction you are!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/01/2011 21:33  

Quite possibly, never said i was an easy person to understand. And for certain instances yup absolutly, we should have that option in my view, don't think of it as, as you put it, state sponsored murder think of it as an option to give punishment befitting the crime, Is it the bible which advocates an eye for an eye, i dunno i forget.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2011 21:42  

yes blade ,,its in the koran as well !!!! ,,please can we be done with this thread now ,,think its been flogged to death now,,no pun intended

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 17/01/2011 22:28  

yes im sure theres a bit in the bible about stoning adulterers too and all sorts of other such crap!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 18/01/2011 08:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email