MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Overtaking cyclists

Overtaking cyclists - Forums [Biker Match] Overtaking cyclists - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Overtaking cyclists

If you've done a speed awareness course you may know this but do you know the correct clearance to give a cyclist when passing one. Warning. the answer may spark debate.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 07/01/2011 18:38  

I would give as much as it is safe to, so if the other lane is free I would go over quite a way and if there was oncoming traffic I would prob hold back,but is there a set distance? isnt it one of those things that varies depending on the situation?

Update Reply
julie j @ 07/01/2011 18:42  

bloody cyclists ! just run em off the road!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 07/01/2011 18:52  

Just use then for cleaning between drive axle tyres

Update Reply
JP @ 07/01/2011 18:54  

highway code says "as much room as you would give a car" In the USA you are legally required to give them 3 feet! I give them as much room as possible depending on circumstances like where they are on the road and how many of them

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 07/01/2011 18:56  

Could be wrong as i'm a slacker when it comes to educating myself to the laws of the land...

But i don't think there is a set distance, in terms of the law, the highway codes simply states to give plenty of room when overtaking.

In the States i believe the law is 3ft.

Update Reply
bladerider2010 @ 07/01/2011 18:57  

The answer apparently is that it all depends on the hight of the cyclist.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 07/01/2011 19:03  

I have no idea where they get their info or who makes it up. Was told this today by someone who did a course.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 07/01/2011 19:04  

Sounds a bit like some instructor is confusing his own common sense with the law...

All we can do is apply our own common sense and the highway code, which does not state any set distance.

Update Reply
bladerider2010 @ 07/01/2011 19:11  

Knowing me, i'll get the kamikazi cyclist who throws himself from his bike as its going over just so i'll get the blame.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 07/01/2011 19:16  

I thought you were supposed to give them room in case they fall off. Personally I don't think they are entitled to any room on the road as they don't pay for it, don't hold insurance to cover them scratching down the inside of your car as your waiting at lights or when you swerve to avoid them shooting the lights, which obviously don't apply to them because they shouldn't be on the road, and you crash into oncoming /crossing traffic because of them so they don't have to pay for the damage.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/01/2011 19:37  

Do you want to hear something related and yet just as daft .. do you know what the minimum legal width is for an advisory cycle lane?

0.5m! Half a metre! My mountain bike's handlebars are wider than that! Hell, I'm wider than that!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/01/2011 20:06  

I was told when I was learning .. you give em enough room so that when they fall off in front of you ... you are not gonna squish any part of them em

So yeah it would depend on their height

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/01/2011 20:14  

so does that mean the highway code is wrong then or is it as usual open to interpretation ? probably so the revenue raisers can dream up a new fixed penalty at some point!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 07/01/2011 20:19  

So does that mean when the lycra lot are hunched up over the handlebars going hell for leather & six foot loon only looks 3' 6" I don,t have to give him as much room??

Update Reply
old red @ 07/01/2011 20:33  

Rule of thumb is an arm's length.

So next time you see a cyclist, stick your left arm out as far as you can. If you gently tickle them up their side as you ride past then that's fine, but if you give them a solid smack on their a*se then you're too close.

It's true honest.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/01/2011 20:36  

If I'm passing one of them pot hole dodgers I might take up as much room as a car, maybe over to where the car would have his off-side mirror, but not too close to the oncoming stuff, depending on the full road width. Or alternately, if the pedal pusher has just pissed me off further back down the road, he might just get an Alpinestar up his ring piece to assist him on his way,.. so that would make the passing distance somewhere about a couple of foot!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 07/01/2011 21:29  

if this is height dependant, what are we supposed to do if there is no suitable ramp available to clear their full height? bunny hoping my mountainbike on the flat is one thing, but the multi weighs over 240kg wet, and with me on must be (aahem) at least 320kg. (well maybe a little holiday weight still)

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 07/01/2011 22:12  

If the gap is dependant on a body measurement, considering how differently men and women perceive size to be, I would guess that men will only be able to overtake a cyclist on a dual carriageway, whereas women will be ok overtaking on a farm track

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 07/01/2011 22:22  

pmsl

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/01/2011 23:18  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email