MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Sat Nav?

Sat Nav? - Forums [Biker Match] Sat Nav? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Sat Nav?

I guess i must be behind the times as I am yet to aquire a sat nav. Looking for one that will be ok on the bike and also in the car. Should I go for a totally waterproof jobby or buy one that will accept a cover? It will be my Xmas pressie to myself (ahhhh poor sod!) and I would hope to pay £150 toperooni! Thanks for any suggestions people Ratty

Update Reply
Rattay @ 07/12/2010 15:19  

I don't know much about individual models but I would try and get hold of a Garmin if I were you.

Update Reply
Suzi5551 @ 07/12/2010 16:03  

How many maps can you get for £150.00 they're not worth the money

Update Reply
JP @ 07/12/2010 16:34  

i heard a wiz kid on the radio giving advise on sat navs, he said dont but one, the new mobile phones will have it in them and will be constantly up dated, so no need to pay for upgrades , didnt catch how much phone would be

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/12/2010 16:44  

I guess the mobiles with SatNav are OK if you can attach them to the bike and are waterproof. I have the Garmin Zumo 660 and I find it excellent. It also has car mounting attachments and I have used it in my pocket while walking as you can choose pedestrian/motorcycle/car modes and the lithium battery life is good for four hours.
I guess you get what you pay for and there may be some good deals on at the moment. Granted, updates for maps are extra.

Update Reply
GregatHigham @ 07/12/2010 17:07  

I have had a nightmare with the zumo! theres a discussion on here if you want to trog through and find it entitled lifes too short for a zumo discuss. had a lot of probs setting it up and also with the blue tooth head set, dont know why cos most people who have them love them, think you have to be quite teccy to get it up and running, i wouldnt by one again would get a phone with one and just keep it on in my pocket and have earpiece plugged in, wouldnt even bother getting a box to look at it cos you just need the audio !

Update Reply
julie j @ 07/12/2010 17:10  

Yep, it's like Marmite - you either love it or hate it.

Update Reply
GregatHigham @ 07/12/2010 17:18  

I have a sat nav in my phone (apparently coz i dont use it!) But fraid im in agreement with jp - buy a good fckin map and then look at it! better still when on the bike just go where you feel like instead of somewhere....you find better roads that way too!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 07/12/2010 17:27  

btw my phone is a nokia N95 - have had it 15 months!! so its not new!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 07/12/2010 17:28  

I bought a £100 car sat-nav to try out, but didn't want to spend more in case I didn't like it, (or couldn't use it).. it works ok on the bikes, with mine been in the Baglux bag, and a lead to either my 12v DIN outlet on the Pan, or a dry-cell battery in the side box thingy on the BMW. As long as its kept dry, its good enough for both the car and bike, BUT you do need to take a little care when looking that far down at it, unless its stuffed right up towards the headstock in the bag. I've also got GPS on me phone, a Nokia 6700s, but would have to pay an extra £5 per month to use it. Just check about the extra fees before getting one.

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 07/12/2010 18:14  

I was really sceptical about sat nav till me and my daughter drove from Dunkirk to a very small village in the south of France using a Tom Tom. We told it to avoid motorways with tolls. It took us a fabulous route that we wouldn't have gone if we relied on maps, cos the information about road improvements is far more up to date than maps.
Please note I'm talking about France....they do actually improve roads there lol

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 07/12/2010 20:23  

I have a Garmin 600?? (all seeing all dancing & was £400 about 3 years ago) in the car but use my mobile on the bike, just haggle with your phone provider for a better deal. I up-graded my phone yet pay £10 less. I have even started using the phone in the car, with the google maps you can get a really good overall picture of your location, plus with many businesses etc on the maps all you do is (if it's a touch screen phone) is tap the address and it will even direct you there. I'd go with a phone now anyday. Hope this helps!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/12/2010 20:34  

i dont pay any extra to use the one on my phone its included i guess.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 07/12/2010 21:21  

Thanks for the advice all, I would be looking at Garmin or Tom Tom if I decide on a sat nav. My phone is an old black and white screen Nokia, lol, that only texts and actually rings other phones. I have been thinking of upgrading it for the last few years so that may be the way to go - get a new phone with internet and GPS. Ok then, which one? lol

Update Reply
Rattay @ 08/12/2010 08:04  

Stick to your old phone a just get a new map book save all the stress

Update Reply
JP @ 08/12/2010 09:06  

not got a sat nav myself ,,got maps tho ,i just follow my nose ...lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/12/2010 19:58  

Got sat nav in my car, it makes me too angry. I like a map on a bike you can get lost and do loads of U-turns

Update Reply
yamahama @ 08/12/2010 20:01  

nah yamahama....i dont believe that....i bet when you get lost you carry on going up the same road for hours before admitting your lost!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 08/12/2010 20:48  

I have the Zumo 660 & Ian has the 550 ... both come with car mounts as well as the bike ones. & are great for running your mobile phones through to our head sets.

I love the 660 the only issue for me is that its very easuly removed from the bike ... the 550 you can fix into its bike mount & is harder to just lift out.

I know the issues Julie had ... that was quite a palaver however we have not had any issues with ours

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/12/2010 20:52  

I prefare maps to sat-nav and that's all im going to say......

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 08/12/2010 22:09  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email