MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Sat Nav?

Sat Nav? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Sat Nav? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Sat Nav?

i use a satnav in the car but always take the route i want and let the satnav argue with me, it gives me something to do, but they are good when you get there to find the actual address you need, there also handy if the roads closed for any reason to quickly find another route, i just aim in the direction i want to go and let it find a route, if i don't like the road it says i just take the one i want and let it recalculate. I'v never used it on my bike yet, i like using maps but i do get lost but that's part of the fun

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 08/12/2010 23:49  

I bet you feel very defiant when it shouts at you in a very authoritarian voice cos you refuse to go the way it tells you?...."Turn around NOW!"

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 09/12/2010 00:31  

WTF...am i in the twilight zone ......a fella who admited " i get lost" my god the world must have come to an end!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 09/12/2010 00:43  

I'l have you know i'm absolutely brilliant at getting lost kwakgirl and Minnie i have two rather rude ladies on my satnav that offer to do all manner of things to me when i get it right

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 09/12/2010 01:10  

I don't have problems getting within a couple of miles of a new address by map useage. It's the last step of a journey where problems occur. On the bike you need to park up, remove helmet and gloves, fish out address from pocket and find a likely character to ask. I usually print off 'street map' directions but that also means stopping, gloves off, reading glasses on and trying to decipher where exactly you are, in the dark and cold, in areas where you are not familiar with that may not be the best to stop in! I have recently had these problems in Brum and Nottingham where its taken me over an hour to do the last mile or so.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 09/12/2010 11:21  

we got caught in a storm from hell and sat nav helped to show which way the bends were going cos we couldn't friggin well see!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 09/12/2010 12:41  

I was riding through Dublin once and had to ask for directions towards Belfast, the first two replies were from older ladies.
! I dont know but it is a long way!!
2 Why do you want to go there.
Fortunately I didn't have to ask anyone else because I then found a sign. Had to laugh at them

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 09/12/2010 12:55  

That reminds me, I arrived in a lorry at Belfast docks in 1972/3. I was a 'drivers mate' helping the driver unload about 6 furniture drops for people returning to Ireland (most returning to the South I may add!). We got lost up a side street off the Falls Road. All very well, but the Lorry had a big sign on the side 'Coventry, England'. We both suddenly realised our predicament and promptly 'sh*t' ourselves! lol We managed to get out ok and had a fantastic time in the rest of Ireland, North and South. One of the friendliest countries I have been to.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 09/12/2010 13:15  

Got a garmin zumo 660 at the start of this year been all over the place with it can even put music on it wouldent be without it now if you look around a lot of places are selling reconditiond ones,they look like new and come with all bike and car fixings

Update Reply
laimdan @ 09/12/2010 13:18  

Well i use my Tomtom car satnav on a bike dedicated cradle on my SP now and again, which works well, only small fly in the ointment is it's not bluetooth so you can't hear it, But i would recommend the Tomtom Rider, which is the one i should have bought and will get at somepoint and are cheap enough on fleebay

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/12/2010 22:11  

if santa didn`t bring one yet.... garmi zumo (500,550 or 660) are all equally good, and can be found "reconditioned" from garmin for £2-250, with full kit for bike/car (van!) i`ve used one (550) for the last 6 years about 240,000 miles (bike and van) i was absolutly against them, but now i find if you ignore it (mine is emily) and do your own thing, they are a good tool for; finding better twisty roads, finding fuel! phone numbers /accomidation availability when in europe, music, especially on motorway (slows me down) to find your way back to bike after you walk of in strange country, altimeter to impress ya friends in snow, real time ACCURATE speedo, speed cameras (ahem) cafes! finding wierd places by post code/ map ref/ 8 figure ref. yes keep a map, but when traveling i found it very very tricky folding the thing and holding my finger on the next road junction name/number whilst changing gear and watching the road. they work in the rain, in the dark, and when you won`t admit that actually maybe, in hind sight, that junction we passed 4 roads and 40 km back may have in truth possibly been not the wrong one after all........sorry.

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 28/12/2010 21:02  

pls tell me how the zumo can help me find my way back to my bike when i get lost cos that would be invaluable!

Update Reply
julie j @ 28/12/2010 21:42  

I'm with Bill 100%. I've got a cheap satnav (reconditioned Garmin, about £60) in the car and it's brilliant when you're solo in a strange city. But I can wander off up an interesting B-road all on my own, TYVM and besides, I'm used to reading maps.
I tried tinkering with the satnav's language and setting it to German, thinking she would have the 've haf vays of making you navigate' sound of a whip-wielding dominatrix off the Reeperbahn.
No such luck. She's a low and seductive voice and any second she'll start singing Lili Marlene. I'm in lurrrve...

Update Reply
Wills @ 28/12/2010 21:58  

pls tell me how the zumo can help me find my way back to my bike when i get lost cos that would be invaluable! For Zumo 660, Tools,Settings, Map, Trip log-Show. Doesn't leave a trail of pebbles but does show a nice blue line of where you've been, if you got it turned on!

Update Reply
YID @ 28/12/2010 22:39  

pls tell me how the zumo can help me find my way back to my bike when i get lost cos that would be invaluable! jj, yes you can do the complicated bit, i`ve done this, but to be honest, when you park, tap the screen on your icon (the bit showing you where you are!) will ask if you want to save, say yes! use this ref point (i usually call it anything easy to type) then when your bored of city/being a tourist, turn it back on (if more than a 4 hour wander, or else just leave the thing on) then hit favorites and the point will be 1st on list, walk back! delete it when you arive to stop clogging up your memory. job done (take a lot less time to do than explain)

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 28/12/2010 23:09  

i also do the set language bit, but either for speach OR written, and try to learn stuff. yes i need to get out more.

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 28/12/2010 23:11  

thanks oldyeti sounds simple enough even for me,I ve got the 550 so it will prob be the same.

Update Reply
julie j @ 28/12/2010 23:46  

forgot to say, i tried all sort of way to listen, blue tooth, autocom, cheep ear plugs/microphone comb, decided a/ i really do not want to answer my phone, let alone talk! bin the idea of microphone. b/ autocom is pants and the volume settings ridiculous and i like my hearing ta very much, no thanks. C/cheep? no thanks see above.quality not cost! d/works best with injection moulded ear plugs (custom fit) with inbuilt speakers, volume reduced by %80 (truly, was on max now both zumo main volume AND conecting volume reduced by at least 7 clicks!) i hear normally within a second of stopping bike, with plugs still in! hear BETTER on bike in all conditions. E/ connect them direct to the zumo base unit, via an extension lead under tank or tank bag (normally 1m to 1.2 meters best) run the lead from ears under jacket and or waterproofs, and works great. F/ ultimate ear, or noisebreakers both work ok, (ue are full ear, take a bit getting used to but great, nb "half" shell, more comfortable of the bat, but "slightly" less noise canceling) i have both, depending on how long i plan to be on bike. music is great when you can play it low enough to still hear a conversation, AND hear the road /bike noise even better than without plugs. it must be magic.....(no i`m not on comision)

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 29/12/2010 23:06  

o sorry f/7a or whatever; blue tooth, really? it lasts 4 hours if your lucky, makes your head heavy, needs charging, and pars or not on a whime, plus it comes into your helmet not your ear, why? i like simple and reliable, (god only knows why i like ducatis i know)

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 29/12/2010 23:09  

I agree blue tooth headset was pants. I have the ultimate ear moulded audio plug, expensive but well worth the money, feels a bit odd but you soon get used to it.

Update Reply
julie j @ 30/12/2010 00:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email