MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Ideas please - no spark :-(

Ideas please - no spark :-( - Forums [Biker Match] Ideas please - no spark :-( - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Ideas please - no spark :-(

Hadn't started my susuki vl 125 for 2 weeks and wouldn't go when I tried. The battery is flat now and we've been running up & down trying to bump it. It's turning over fine but not a single spark. It's a twin so even if there was a prob with one of the plugs we would expect it to try firing. My knowledgeable mates have drawn a blank so any ideas to try in daylight welcome. Checked petrol etc

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 23/11/2010 20:23  

my friend had the same problem with her dragstar 125 - she killed the battery trying to start it after leaving it alone for 3 weeks - all i did after re-charging the battery - was take both plugs out - clean them ( they were black ) and heated them up before putting them back in - the bike started first time

Update Reply
PHOTOGRAPHER1 @ 23/11/2010 20:33  

Minnie, when a bike battery is down, the starter takes all the energy and leaves nothing for spark. Try coupling a car battery to bike, bet it goes then. More power makes bigger sparks. My old bike wont fire up if its left any more than 2 weeks but it does if i couple on car battery.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 23/11/2010 20:36  

That's what we'll do tomorrow so fingers crossed photo.

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 23/11/2010 20:39  

Not familiar with the ignition on that model, but if it's "ordinary" electronic it will have a threshold voltage below which you wont just get a weak spark, but no spark, so star with the battery.

Also as suggested the plugs might benefit from cleaning/preheating.

Have you got a spare pair anywhere?

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 24/11/2010 11:44  

Thanks for the tips pals. No progress yet cos we can't get the screw undone holding the panel over the battery!!! And no, it wasn't just me couldn't get it undone. A mate coming back later with more tools...what a performance

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 24/11/2010 15:02  

Have you checked the kill switch ? I know what your thinking but it's an easy mistake to make. If you use a car battery dont use big jump leads you could overload you battery and have to replace it

Update Reply
JP @ 24/11/2010 16:01  

I was just about to suggest the killswitch.... I'm ashamed to say I flattened my battery, I hadn't realised it was flicked on d'oh ;-(

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/11/2010 16:42  

Wimmen!!!

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 24/11/2010 17:16  

Lol jack.... Ur cruisin fer a bruisin!!! Haha

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/11/2010 17:32  

Bring it on shorty

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 24/11/2010 17:35  

Lol .... I'm bringing.... Prepare yasel!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/11/2010 17:39  

In the mean time ... Any luck getting started mini?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/11/2010 17:44  

No Shell, I'm waiting on help to get this screw undone. Will be the weekend now cos of work & it being dark & I haven't got a garage. But the good news is my ex husband is renting (another) garage and said I can keep my bike in there. So hopefully it won't happen again....I feel like a negligent parent leaving my beautiful bike out there in the cold

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 24/11/2010 19:24  

Mini, in your new garage, is there electrickery? If so, I highly reccomend you get an Optimate or similar. Excellent low amp charger for keeping the battery 'topped up' at all times.

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 24/11/2010 21:02  

i kno exactly what you mean minnie i look at my bike and think the same lol but I went out to southport the other weekend and it was great (although a bit on the nippy side by the time I got home. had to put a new battery in me blipper though (third one this year), Think a need a new blipper really lol after it got a soaking at the wigan rally. (SO wet although I do keep it in one of theose food storage bags with a zip lock now lol hope u get it sorted anyway minnie

Update Reply
earthwind @ 24/11/2010 21:53  

you could consider swapping it for a gel battery, it costs a little bit more but its worked fine for me for two years with no problems.

Update Reply
Nicholls @ 03/01/2011 22:14  

hi minnie have owned vl 125 s before if you have not got it running yet,these bikes are known for cdi going its common on these,but are 300+ new and second hand rarer than hens teeth,if your sure its not battery or plugs,have some one check out puts at cdi before replacing ,as most electric parts are non returnable,hope this helps,let us all no how you get on

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/01/2011 18:30  

hi furybilly. We got the bike going when there was a respite from the snow and it was garaged. Battery taken off and left on charge in a different garage where there's power. Was just thinking i need to re-assemble to see how she's doing.

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 25/01/2011 18:40  

the lack of spark, would defo be lack of battery power minnie, she should be fine.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/01/2011 18:42  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email