MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

would you stop or not

would you stop or not  - Forums [Biker Match] would you stop or not  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

would you stop or not

i was out on the bike last night 10.30 ish , and i pulled over to a broken down bike on the hard shoulder on the m5 , a mate of mine said i was mad to stop ,at that time of night ,but surely we all have a common interest .
and its not hard to stop ask if there ok , but should you have to worry about personal safety ,while being a good samaritan

Update Reply
kwackers05 @ 14/10/2010 13:23  

i will always stop if i see a bike parked up and ask if they need any help. I remember running out of petrol on the m62 in the early hours. van pulled up and 3 guys got out well thought i was in trouble. they were all bikers on there way back from a track day. they just lifted my bike into there van and drove me to the nearest petrol station. nice one fellas

Update Reply
andyl250 @ 14/10/2010 13:36  

Whilst out with Ian on a ride he has stopped but told me to ride on a bit I guess being honest I would if it was a woman but if I could not tell or it was a guy it would depend on how public a place it was

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 14/10/2010 13:53  

Yes, I always slow and give a thumbs up and wait for the reaction,,, often they have just stopped for a breather or something.

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 14/10/2010 14:02  

yeah id stop every time unless something looked suspicious

Update Reply
dunans @ 14/10/2010 14:17  

I'd tend to stop, I've driven past in the past but normally when I didn't notice in time... :(

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 14/10/2010 15:50  

I've stopped on more than one occasion to see if they needed help , and a couple of times its actually been BMers en route to a rally who may have gotten sidetracked whilst locating the site :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 14/10/2010 16:00  

you do indeed jackie but you make someone else get out of the car to check if its raining haha

Update Reply
dunans @ 14/10/2010 17:33  

im mean you make someone check to make sure the biker is ok if its raining - not to check to see if its raining -that would be silly

Update Reply
dunans @ 14/10/2010 17:35  

i wouldnt be out on my own at that time of night
but yes i would stop and make sure a biker was ok.
I usually do the thumbs up to see first
I remember the alarm on my bike setting off the immobaliser on my bike while going up the road.
I ended up on the side of the road with no one stopping
My good smaritan was a guy i work with on his way home and left me his phone as mine had no credit so i could call breakdown

In that time all but a 916 stopped to check i was ok no others did
and it felt crap so no i would always help out
i was there for 2 hours waiting for the truck

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/10/2010 18:34  

Yes i do, have done, and will keep doing but i do a quick (Wait for it) risk assessment in my head as you would do any way to see if they need help and if it looks safe to stop as well as is there any where to pull up without blocking carrage way ! some times if its on a country lane ill ride past then come back but its down to how you feel at the time isnt it if your not confident that you can handle them or even be of help then keep going .

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 14/10/2010 19:17  

I always slow,point then thumbs up, then stop if required, there's nothing worse than breakin down somewhere and gettin no help. Stopped once for a fella at night, I couldnt help him out but we had a couple of smokes and chatted waiting for the AA to turn up, he was really gratefull.

Update Reply
Fitchy @ 14/10/2010 19:34  

was in my van other day saw an old guy waving from side of road . he had just found out he had cancer , managed to get his wife with altzimers into day care and his car broke down on way to hull royal infirmary for his scan tell you what he was Glad i stopped i can tell you ! gave him a lift back to his local garage 20 miles away so they lent him a car and collected his . and i thought i was having a crap day

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 14/10/2010 21:59  

GUCCI a girl has to consider her ..........erm ............... attire lol

Hey i jumped off the back of an R1 too check u were ok lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 15/10/2010 01:09  

My mate broke down last sunday and ended up waiting 2 hours for a truck to take the bike back home. It was 4.30 on sunday afternoon on one of the most popular biking roads in the dales. 3 car drivers stopped to offer help but no bikes....tut tut, shame on them

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 15/10/2010 01:49  

I'd stop everytime A load of angels stopped and helped me years ago when I was a yoblet on a moped (it was a fizzy!) they told me then it was all a part of the brotherhood.I'm still friends with a few of them 32 years later!

Update Reply
pondlife @ 15/10/2010 06:25  

you only jumped off the r1 when i took my shirt off

Update Reply
dunans @ 15/10/2010 09:16  

I always stop it's it's a biker if i'm on the bike or in the car. stopped coming back from the bmf in May, lady biker was at the side of the A1 in a layby, bottom fairing was flapping around.. found some bailing string... tied the faring back up and she was on her way. I now carry tye wraps just incase, they're handy things to have.

Update Reply
retrofan @ 15/10/2010 09:34  

I would always slow down and give the thumbs up as well. If on the highway I would also stop. However, I'm not sure I'd stop on the motorway unless it was someone I actually know, I'd prefer to pull over at the next junction and phone the HA or Police.

Two reasons for this, firstly it is an offence to stop on the motorway and secondly, it is pretty dangerous (which is why it's an offence lol).

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 15/10/2010 10:06  

GUCCI u said u wudnt tell !!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 15/10/2010 11:11  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email