MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

BM Members default photo

BM Members default photo - Forums [Biker Match] BM Members default photo - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

BM Members default photo

BM POLICY ; Your "Best/Default Pic" must be clearly of yourself, without helmet and not in the middle of 50 other people either. It should be a recent portrait photo of yourself, or as near to this as possible. ok this subject has been raised by a few pals during conversations of late, most of which people complain about OLD PHOTO'S being used for profile pics.. this is extremely deceiving *especially if you are looking for a partner/dating* its very difficult to capture the essence of a person in a photograph, actually its impossible.. photos are just a likeness of the real you.. ive not met anyone from bm to date that look exactly like their pic.. they do resemble their pic... the odd person had very strong features ie. daft hair colours, body mass, or wear the same clothing lol... the truth; the camera lies indeed!! its very difficult to get a true likeness in a photo and even worse if you are not photogenic; but to upload a photo where you are 3 stone lighter, taken 5 years ago is just down right deceiving!! how can this be monitored!! ???

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2010 14:13  

Doubt very much that it can be monitored Debs.... as you probably know, people can be whoever they want to be at the end of a computer keyboard!!!!! I do know of peeps on here that have travelled some distance to meet someone only to discover they were nothing like their pic! It is very disheartening but a common practice on the internet. The only way I can see to get round it is to use webcams before meeting, although I wouldn't cos I know my pic is like me and there are pics of me on the events pages . I truly don't understand the mentality of it, people are always going to be found out if they meet other folk!!!!!

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 09/10/2010 14:34  

hiya hun, well i also know guys/gals who have travelled miles to meet folk that they have built online relationships with, to be faced with a person who doesnt resemble who they have been chatting with... it just seems quite bizare. i look different every time a photo is taken, its not intentional, we all think we look like our pics .. lol .... i wouldnt dream of uploading a pic from 10 years ago though... mind i wouldnt dream of putting incorrect information on my profile either.. it just seems wrong to mislead people... *thanks for your input hun*

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2010 14:51  

Debs I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying but..... how can anyone build a relationship with someone without ever meeting them? I've heard this said many times and in part agree with it, although also feel that sometimes you can establish some sort of a relationship with another person over the net without every meeting them. You just have to always be aware that people are not always who/what they say they are and reserve judgement until such a time that you meet them. That's the great thing about this site, there are loads of opportunties to meet people at an event without any pressure of the one-to-one situation... yaaaahhh BM

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 09/10/2010 15:14  

*must be clearly of yourself*

geordielass if you look through the staff list you'll find nearly half of the mods pics are small or too distant to be recognisable!

If the staff don't comply you've got no chance of monitoring the members and expecting them to take it seriously

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/10/2010 15:27  

and put a shirt on!!

Update Reply
julie j @ 09/10/2010 15:29  

eh, a shirt on julie??

I'm all confused!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/10/2010 15:30  

i totally agree with you... i can not understand how people build up a dating relationship over the internet without first meeting the person... its impossible in my opinion. "but i have seen it happen" its a well known fact that people have been known to reinvent themselves online.. but in fairness a lot of folk are just way to trusting and they are the ones i worry about... potentially they may get hurt. i do NOT recommend meeting up with anyone one-to-one, meet up with a group of friends i agree BM gives the opportunity to meet fellow bikers in a safe environment!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2010 15:32  

a few guys on here have gone down the topless route......its not everyones cup of tea! there could be a few girls who have done the same for all i know but i havent seen them.

Update Reply
julie j @ 09/10/2010 15:34  

Terry, All the mods photo's look ok to me. but it's easy to go into their photo's to find a better one. Or pay a visit to specsavers. Wether it's a topless bloke or some middle aged woman in a basque. I do wander about those that would want to parade themselves in front of strangers like that. I wish they wouldn't. It just puts me off my tea.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 09/10/2010 15:48  

lol julie.. i totally agree.. topless does nothing for me either!!! they look so much more appealing in a their leathers knight... very very valid point hun!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2010 15:57  

Yup can say have seen some people at meets and not been able to recognise them from their pics.....!!! Best bet as blues says is to look at profiles and pics taken at events.

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 09/10/2010 16:05  

at event pics they are usually plastered .............. well i am lol (jks)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2010 16:16  

Phil maybe I should go to spec savers cos i'm not naming names but I know some of the mods personally and I can't recognise them from their photos on their profile. Are those binoculars you're wearing

I do think the shirt off and the basque wearing thing makes people look either desperate or vane but each to their own eh. Maybe BM should change their policy to topless fotos only, could be interesting although I'd hate to put anyone off their breakfast

Totally agree with the ladies regarding safe meets in public etc. I tried internet dating a few years ago and met some very odd characters that looked absolutely nowt like their pic. Maybe these people don't realise they're being deceptive or maybe they're on weekend release

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/10/2010 16:53  

i did read all of that knight but .................. pmsl @ weekend release"!" you gotta love em hun!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2010 17:09  

LOL Geordie, when I met you you looked nothing like the photo that you had on here previously. However it was in black and white so maybe that's why Rusty!! you mean you don't recognise me? Even tho my hair is even messier in person folk manage to recognise me, I've no idea why. I would put an old photo of me on my profile if I could, far more flattering I think. That said tho I've had nice things said about photos that I don't like, of myself I mean. Proof that beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. Thank gawd!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/10/2010 17:11  

kwak it took me all morning to suss you too, didnt recognise you at all did i lol, and i grabbed you after geordiegal and i had a deep discussion about whether it was you or not lol,. thats the point, both you and i have recent pics on our profile yet we couldnt identify eachother. and geordiegal is great at spotting people from their profile pics... i spotted PaulXXX because id said i would look out for him.. other than that i didnt recognise anybody... on that, three people have identified me via my previous b&w pic when ive been at rallies/events.. ??? so how does that work lol... totally agree with beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.. yup thank god!!!! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2010 17:22  

LOL I hear what you say but people look different in different situations, I look totally different when 'done up' to go out to how I do when I am out n about on the bike, also depending on the light & the camera, my hair can look ginger or blonde. Ok for me it makes no difference if someone likes the pic I have up, I have met my ideal man but I can see what you mean.

What gets me is that some people out & out lie on profiles, often about silly little things ... knocking a couple of inches off their height, saying they are younger than they are, knocking a few stone off their weight.

To me this is a bigger 'crime' than a pic that that shows you from a while ago , the pic could be thats the only one of them they have, but when your are not being truthful in your description/weight/date of birth on the details you have entered then that's an intent to mislead.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/10/2010 17:29  

Trouble is tho Shell not everything is black and white, except Geordie's photo lol. I knocked a couple of years of my age for a long time, my reason wasn't to deceive but to attract younger men. I've always been told that I look about 5 to7 yrs younger than I am. Unfortunately, for me, I'm attracted to men who are a little younger than me and typically they aren't attracted to me, well there's not many that are.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/10/2010 17:39  

I understand that Kwak ,, however for me, surely you want someone who wants you for who you are & not for them to feel that any relationship you have formed has been built on a lie/misdirection whatever.

I can only speak for myself but I would hate to have found out when I met Ian (as we met on an online dating site) that in fact who I thought I was dating & falling in love with was not who I thought he was.

But I do know ... its not always a little thats shaved off

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/10/2010 17:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email