MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Forum Vs Chatroom

Forum Vs Chatroom - Forums [Biker Match] Forum Vs Chatroom - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Forum Vs Chatroom

Sorry to be a moan folks, but please can I ask that we all remember what the forums should be used for and what the chatroom should be used for. Keep chit-chat and small talk to the chatroom, and post lengthy discussions, debates, event organising etc in the forums. Posts within the forums are costly to store, process and serve to other internet users. I wont go into details, but just keep the above in mind. Cheers again, really happy to see the site so active at the moment ~Matt

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/04/2007 15:48  

Ok boss

Update Reply
Di @ 14/04/2007 15:50  

couldnt you delete some of the old posts to keep costs down matt, it would take the post count down but it would be cheeper for you

Update Reply
storm @ 14/04/2007 15:51  

being sorted as we speak storm

Update Reply
Di @ 14/04/2007 15:55  

Yea im looking into that actually. Same applies to the Private Messages. Theres now over 11,000 private messages and counting, all taking up data storage. Its not just that, but each time the forum loads for example all the posts and topics have to be calculated and it slows the page load times right down. Not to mention that the place looks cluttered and tacky, which is the main reason. When I've asked users why they dont post in the forums... I get the reply that they think its "too clicky" because of the chit-chat nature. Therefore I believe that it's best left to the chatroom, and use the forums for lengthy messages. I also believe that cats cannot be baptised, no matter how hard you try. But that's by-the-by. Its also an incentive for people to get over to that chatroom... everyone has been complaining that it never gets used, yet they use the forums to posts "good morning" messages to each other. See where im coming from?

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/04/2007 15:57  

we do go in the chat room but know one is ever in there

Update Reply
RC @ 14/04/2007 15:59  

can,t type fast so be no good for me

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/04/2007 16:11  

we had a girlie chat session last night tho didnt we! xx

Update Reply
witchiest @ 14/04/2007 16:17  

lol RC - its cos ur all chatting in the forums instead I mean look at all the replies to this topic in the past 10 minutes... why dont you all go over to the chatroom? Theres 265 people online now, if a handful go to the chatroom then it will be busy. All it takes is for ONE person to go there and STAY there. Even if nobody is in. Because otherwise everyone who goes there just leaves immediately as it is empty. So... everyone head off to the chatroom now, and if theres nobody there when u get there just WAIT and someone else will be along shortly.

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/04/2007 16:19  

what ,like a bus

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/04/2007 16:22  

just ben no one there , or i got lost , or its broke

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/04/2007 16:24  

lol yea like a bus. Seriously just wait there, and more will be along soon (When they see these messages) I cant cos i need food (Not eaten all day) and a bath so I can go out.

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/04/2007 16:26  

I'm talking to myself people

Update Reply
Di @ 14/04/2007 16:55  

told u its broke

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/04/2007 16:58  

i was there ninja but u didnt say hello to me!

Update Reply
witchiest @ 14/04/2007 17:13  

yeah we had a good old chin wag last night witchest lol same time tonight?

Update Reply
RC @ 14/04/2007 18:03  

been said before,you need to keep checking on the chatroom page to see if any one else has come in to chat.Matt,have seen this feature in other chatrooms,if you minimize the page when someone posts the the banner flashes at the bottom of the toolbar,could this be applied to our chatroom in some way? I have noticed at times myself when I've gone in there that people dont check to see if others have come in to speak.

Update Reply
Oggy @ 14/04/2007 18:14  

sometimes i dont get chance to just sit in front of pc and chat tho,so i chat on forums,this is cos i have 4 kids that constantly want something as soon as i sit down! i have been using chatroom more tho cos its interesting to see whos in there,some ppl who dont post on forums go in2 chat so u get to meet even more great ppl!! x

Update Reply
witchiest @ 15/04/2007 03:57  

Unfortunately not oggy, because the pages dont refresh. Its all java based, but i wont go into detail. Im looking at actually purchasing a fully designed chatroom that uses flash and members will be able to use webcams and mics to talk to each other. Prices are steep tho, and to design something like that would take years (Years for someone with flash knowledge, whereas Ive no idea with flash).

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/04/2007 11:25  

Also: the cost of subscriptions would be bumped up to pay for the new chatroom if I did go ahead, and it would be subscribed members only.

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/04/2007 11:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email