MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Why do you ride a bike ?

Why do you ride a bike ? - Forums [Biker Match] Why do you ride a bike ? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Why do you ride a bike ?

What made you get up and go buy a motor bike ? discuss ! for me it started when i was about 7 or 8 years old i loved cycling but hated hills and when i saw a motor bike go sailing effortlesly up hill i said to my friend one dauy im going to get one of those ! there thats my faily simple answer whats yours ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 05/03/2010 22:16  

What made you get up and go buy a motor bike ? The sound (Brit bikes) and my very first ride as a pillion, age 15 or thereabouts, I was hooked.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 05/03/2010 22:20  

Oooh Nealy. .. if only I could answer this one :<
If I had a bike (and could ride it!) I'd be a very lucky lady.
Enjoy yours for both of us.

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 05/03/2010 22:22  

I ride my bike because i like the freedom and im just me on a bike, i aint mum or teaching assistant, cook, cook cleaner etc

Update Reply
drobess @ 05/03/2010 22:23  

dont have to ride just be into them too ! so why you into them alice ? good answer drobs

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 05/03/2010 22:25  

Oooh! It's that feeling in your guts and the grin on your face. . . nothing else in the world seems to matter! Magic :>>>>>>>>>>

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 05/03/2010 22:34  

The first time i went on a bike was last year, it was my dads vfr..... I loved it that much within 2 months i had my own lol .. Its the adrenaline for me

Update Reply
adrenaline_Junkie @ 05/03/2010 22:41  

and the people who ride bikes are generally more social

Update Reply
adrenaline_Junkie @ 05/03/2010 22:42  

C-H-I-P-S if you remember the cheesy tv show enough to inspire any 8 year old :-)

Update Reply
Rooster roo @ 05/03/2010 22:45  

I was lucky that when I was at school we had an engineering department. Our metalwork teacher was a bike nut and responsible for positively encouraging all of us to look at the fantastic world of machinery and combustion engines. As he rode an Ariel Square four his machine featured in a lot of our lessons. He encouraged the older boys to take an interest in riding as well, and when I was 16 I bought an old Bantam from the Post Office(one of their telegram delivery bikes) The interest has been with me ever since, unfortunately I had a long lay off when my kids were growing up as I couldnt afford a car and a bike. I didn't start riding again until four years ago, but I couldnt find a bike that I felt comfortable on. My days of hurtling around like a maniac are long gone. Then I saw the trike and I fell in love all over again, so thanks Mr Cooper for my school days!

Update Reply
trikerider552 @ 05/03/2010 23:06  

mid-life crisis! Was never allowed near em as a kid, then never believed I would be capable of riding one myself, thought Id try it out in case I was missing something! You know what............I did, I could and I love it..........just wished Id done it 20 or so years earlier but better late than never! Open road (well sort of!), freedom and the roar of that V-Twin is just awesome!! "Spock" is coming out again tomorrow..............just cant wait lol!

Update Reply
babyharley @ 05/03/2010 23:10  

Oooh t r. . . .. wish I'd been a boy :>> Didn't get that kind of fun in domestic science and needlework !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 05/03/2010 23:11  

I was lucky Alice it was a new concept to have a technical school. We were sort of guinea pigs, but i'm really glad that i had the opportunity to go there. Only thing lacking was that it was boys only........................

Update Reply
trikerider552 @ 05/03/2010 23:16  

Think we must be same age. . .mine was the first of the grammar techs. . . . .I really envied those boys doing metal work and tech drawing. Scarred for life that's me !! :>>

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 05/03/2010 23:24  

We had a girls college on the other side of town, but all they got to do was domestic science and textile design.. no equal rights back then!!!

Update Reply
trikerider552 @ 05/03/2010 23:27  

I went to a mixed comp and I hated all the cookery and typing stuff. I studied Tech drawing and was the only girl in the class. Although I passed it at A level grade not one drawing office was willing to take me on as it wasn't heard of then in the 70's, a woman in a drawing office! shameful!!
Anyway I learnt to ride a bike cause it was sitting in the garage doing nothing and I had a 'TO Do' list of things i wanted to do before I reached 50. and I hate public transport..and if someone had told me how great it was to ride I would have done it 20 years ago and not left it so long.

Update Reply
Amerthyst @ 05/03/2010 23:47  

Dad had an old beezer when I was small and I loved the sound. Then my sister started dating a biker when I was 15 and that was it I got hooked and started borrowing her C50 when I was 16. Both parents died whilst I was in early teens so no one to stop me buying a Honda 250 + the gear on my 18th birthday and becoming part of the local biker scene. I suppose it also pandered to the rebel in me as I used to delight in p*ssing of the master at the school gates by pulling wheelies off the speed bumps dressed in jeans, leather jacket and sawn off denim and then changing into charcoal grey suit in the 6th form common room....

Update Reply
Scorpio54 @ 05/03/2010 23:56  

it must be in the blood, my mum used to ride on the back of my dad when she was pregnant with me, must be all the vibration from the old brits that sent me mad for bikes had one since I was 8, its just so me lol

Update Reply
petervalk @ 06/03/2010 00:15  

I used to delight in p*ssing of the master at the school gates by pulling wheelies off the speed bumps dressed in jeans, leather jacket and sawn off denim and then changing into charcoal grey suit in the 6th form common room....

Nice one Scorps !!!

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 06/03/2010 00:37  

It's in my blood ! My dad rode motorbikes and so did my grandad and wouldn't be surprised if my great-grandad did as well !

Update Reply
maxnod @ 06/03/2010 01:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email