MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Bike Run in support of Wooton Bassett

Bike Run in support of Wooton Bassett (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Bike Run in support of Wooton Bassett (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Bike Run in support of Wooton Bassett

Will be a laugh if nothing else lol well i know it was leaving from the service but not seen anything else yet

Update Reply
jabecs @ 12/02/2010 00:20  

not anymore too large to go from services, check afghanheroes.org

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/02/2010 00:22  

As a serving member of HMF i would like to thank you all.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/02/2010 03:03  

Just found this post from 11-02-2010 Thought it might answer a few questions that we all have about this event. Wootton Bassett Ride FAQ The following is intended to help answer some of the questions that we are receiving (and we are getting lots!). It is obviously not a complete list but will be updated regularly as we receive new info: When is the ride?On Sunday 14th March 2010 Is the ride still on?Yes, the organisers have informed us that the ride IS still on. Who is organising the ride?The ride is being organised by Daniel Forder, Julia Stevenson and Elizabeth Stevens via their Facebook group – “Bike Run in support of Wootton Bass...010“. The Police, MOD, Wootton Bassett authorities and staff from Afghan Heroes charity are supporting them where needed. Afghan Heroes charity is the beneficiary of money raised on the day. What time will it start?This is T.B.C. by the organisers but as we understand it the ride will start at approx 12pm. with the muster point opening at approx 8am, but still we stress, T.B.C. Where/when will we get our wristbands?Wristbands will be purchased on entry to the muster point. How much are the wristbandsEach wristband will cost £5 - One per person will be required to enter the muster point. Where is the muster/start point?At this time the organisers are in talks with the MOD to secure a location large enough for everyone to meet up. For the moment you can consider this to be T.B.A. but what is known is that it will NOT be at the Leigh Delamere services on the M4 as this is simply not large enough. What is the end point?Again, at this point it should be considered T.B.A. The organisers will let us know once confirmed. We can confirm it will NOT be RAF Lyneham. Why can’t we use RAF Lyneham?Originally when the organisers approached the MOD the maximum anticipated number of bikes was 2000. As RAF Lyneham is an operational airbase, 10,000+ bikes on-site is impossible. Will the ride go through Wootton Bassett?Yes, the police and local authorities have confirmed that the ride can go through the town. Will all bikes be allowed through Wootton Bassett?Yes, the police and local authorities have confirmed that ALL bikes on the official ride will be allowed through the town. Why was the registration closed early?The organisers have been in close talks with the Police, MOD and Wootton Bassett local authorities. Following these talks a limit of 10,000 bikes was agreed as a maximum safe number for the event. Once this number of registrations was reached we were forced to close registrations. Why only 10,000 bikes?Simply put, Wootton Bassett is a small town with limited facilities in the local area to support a very large number of bikes/people. For the sake of safety, logistics, marshalling and the people of Wootton Bassett, 10,000 is the limit. I was too late to register, can I still come?Obviously we cannot prevent people from using the public highways, but the organisers would like to ask those who have not registered to please stay away. If thousands of additional bikes turn up on the day there is a distinct possibility that the event may be badly disrupted or worse, shut down. The purpose of the event is to show support to the people of Wootton Bassett and to raise funds to support our troops and their families. The best way for this to happen is for the event to run as smoothly as possible. we are very sorry if you did not manage to register and we thank you for your continued support, but please do not just turn up. There are other ways to support us, such as donations, buying a wristband or helping to set up/run an event in your local area etc. What use are the registrations now that we are not using RAF Lyneham?It is true that the main reason for registration was to allow the MOD to vet all participants. This may still be required if we end up on an MOD property. Even if it is NOT required the organisers will be using the list on a “first come, first served” basis for determining who will make up the 10,000 as mentioned above. When will the full details be known?Once the event organisers have concluded their talks with the Police, MOD & Wootton Bassett authorities they will let us know and we will publish them here – Until that happens please try not to speculate.

Update Reply
trikerider552 @ 12/02/2010 10:47  

Kwap- worked overtime to get bike on road- and couldnt register. Ill be bludy livid if everyone that did register dosnt turn up!!!

Update Reply
V8trikemids @ 16/02/2010 14:28  

just had a look at the facebook site, the organisers are saying the official announcement regarding the ride will be made tomorrow. 17-02-2010

Update Reply
trikerider552 @ 16/02/2010 16:18  

Anyone ridin in from oxford area? I'll be stayin over sat nite in Wantage

Update Reply
mozie @ 16/02/2010 21:48  

I'm coming from Essex round the 25 to the M4 on Saturday

Update Reply
jabecs @ 19/02/2010 01:28  

BUMP !!!

Update Reply
jabecs @ 20/02/2010 13:09  

There is some more info regarding route etc been posted on FB, but the organisers are sending out emails soon with all details. Good news is that security is at a lower level at Hullavington, so if you are registered but you want to take a pilly and you haven't registered one, you can register them when you get there. They cant accept any further bikes and riders though.

Update Reply
trikerider552 @ 20/02/2010 16:06  

If anyone is interested, I have just been on ebay and there is a shop on there selling official WB event patches at £4 free postage. Just type Wootton Bassett in the search box and it comes up!!

Update Reply
trikerider552 @ 20/02/2010 16:13  

just checked the official site out again and seen the route they have planned,nice ride through some lovely countyside.It would seem a shame though if the people of wooten basset dont benefit from some trade i.e cups of tea or food sales but then again,I dont suppose they'd want the town snarled up for hours on end either. We'll be heading up the m4 from Bristol to J 17

Update Reply
pondlife @ 21/02/2010 09:41  

Just to bring this back to the fore,have any others who have registered been contacted my e mail yet?

Update Reply
pondlife @ 25/02/2010 17:09  

No news I've had come though to me yet. Should us BM'rs meet up beforehand and ride in as a group folks?

Update Reply
njl @ 25/02/2010 17:30  

sounds a fair idea,I was planning to arive at the airfield around 9 o'clock so maybe arange to meet at leigh delamere services say 8?

Update Reply
pondlife @ 25/02/2010 17:37  

Sounds like a plan

Update Reply
jabecs @ 25/02/2010 19:13  

8am on Sunday - that's early for me! bear in mind the westbound services are just past J17, though there's a little service road out and round to eastbound, I don't know if the local police will like anyone using it on the day, I think there is a truckstop just off the motorway juction but never used it so dunno if it's bike friendly though, i'll try and check it out beforehand

Update Reply
njl @ 25/02/2010 20:02  

No email here yet either. I'll be riding up with some others on trikes so i will watch your posts and see if we can meet up with you guys. We will be coming over from junction 12 so we will ride up to 18 and turn round if we come over to meet you.

Update Reply
trikerider552 @ 25/02/2010 20:17  

lol i thought 8 was a bit early as well 9 would be better

Update Reply
jabecs @ 25/02/2010 20:17  

Just a thought guys. The latest update said they were going to stagger arrival times so they could book in 2000 bikes at a time. They said that they would send out the arrival times for each bike with the registration confirmation. Might make meet ups difficult if we all have different times!

Update Reply
trikerider552 @ 25/02/2010 20:25  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email