MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Racing

Donington firm in administration

Donington firm in administration - Forums [Biker Match] Donington firm in administration - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Racing /

Donington firm in administration

The company which wanted to bring Formula One to Donington has gone into administration, the BBC understands. Last month, Donington Ventures Leisure Limited lost a 17-year contract to stage the British Grand Prix after failing to get financial backing. The firm's 40 full-time staff were called to meetings at the circuit earlier to be updated on the situation. Part of the track was dug up before the deal fell through and at the moment it is unusable. At the end of October, Donington Ventures Leisure Limited failed to raise £135m from a bond issue to upgrade facilities. It is still not clear whether a deal can be done for the Silverstone track in Northamptonshire, which has hosted recent British Grands Prix, to stage next season's event.

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 18/11/2009 16:02  

Shame for Donington, but I can't see how anyone could have prepared a circuit to F1 standards in 18 months. Can't help but feel it's part of Bernie Ecclestone's plan, to move F1 to newer, govt backed circuits where he'll rake £1000's into his own pocket. It'll take a fair climb down, on both sides, for the BRDC to get the BritishGP back toSilverstone.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 18/11/2009 16:17  

The demise of Donington Many a good race was watched there - which bit have they dug up? The Melbourne loop? Lets hope some rich knight-in-shining-armour swoops in and saves the day

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 18/11/2009 16:41  

don't know what bit they've dug up - but hope someone takes it over as I love Donington circuit - great viewing! Also - the WSBK was supposed to be there 01/08/10 . Wonder if they'll go back to Brands (for WSBK) - as from what's been said on the other posts re Silverstone, I don't really fancy going there to watch the racing!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 18/11/2009 18:43  

I've never had the pleasure to go to watch racing at Donington, I agree with Di and Stella, lets hope someone on it and saves the day

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 18/11/2009 18:55  

Why don't they leave it dug up it would make the race much more interesting

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 18/11/2009 19:46  

itll be a barott houseing estate soon when sales pick up that is

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 18/11/2009 20:06  

LONDON (Reuters) - The company which held the lease to Donington Park has gone into administration, the British circuit's website (www.donington-park.co.uk) said on Wednesday. Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd had a 150-year lease on the circuit and last year signed a 17-year contract to host the British Formula One Grand Prix from 2010. That deal has since collapsed. Nigel Price, partner of corporate recovery firm Begbies Traynor suggested however that the Formula One deal could yet be revived: "We are certainly hopeful that a 2011 Grand Prix could take place at the site," he said. "We are looking for a purchaser for the business and the potential opportunity to bring Formula One to this part of the Midlands by funding the work that needs to be carried out to the circuit."

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 18/11/2009 22:31  

I've ridden around Donington on several occasions and it is a superb track. However, I've never really rated it as a spectator's track. Hopefully this will be the kick needed to undertake some serious improvements on the outfields. Of course, this is all dependant on the company finding the funding to not only update the track, but also make good on any contractual obligations that they fail to meet in the meantime.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 18/11/2009 22:34  

Donnington was on my back door step at my old house..I loved it...could hear them on practise days.. been many times over the years ...including Rock Festivals...etc when I was much much younger...

The middle bit was being dug up for a Motocross track..so I was led to believe...what a shame for everyone...

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 18/11/2009 22:41  

They know how to ruin a good venue don't they?? Yeah - it has many faults - that have never been improved upon over the years, and have often been made worse, but it was always a great atmosphere and superb racing! I've had loads of great fun w/ends there, be sad to see it go if nobody picks up the tab.

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 18/11/2009 22:56  

im suprised donnington strugles like it dose its in the middle of the country rite next to the M1 and air port its a great track or was when i last whent round it even as a spectator i still like it the local econamy needs it realy me old mate bazza would be turning in his grave !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 18/11/2009 23:00  

It's impossible to get out of at the end of a meeting tho Wheely- took me nearly 4 hours after this years MotoGP - absolute nitemare

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 18/11/2009 23:09  

I don't go to Donington for the GP or WSB events, specifically for this reason. There's just too many people. Ok, it makes for a great atmosphere, but if you're having to queue for three quarters of an hour for a burger and the fairly poor spectator provision is made worse by the ten rows of people between you and the fence, it don't make for a fun day in my opinion.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 18/11/2009 23:30  

"but if you're having to queue for three quarters of an hour for a burger"...........not gonna comment geoff about eating too many burger...as i would get pot kettle black returned lol.....i like donnington but i agree with geoff the queues can be a mare, but i always tend to take a pack up, the atmosphere for the gp this year being the last one was awesome, i know that the wheatcroft family has just had the father/grandfather pass away so it must be a difficult time for the family at the moment.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/11/2009 07:22  

well speaking as one of those catering businesses that worked the Donnington Circuit for many years all I can say is they got too greedy there! We had to pay extortionate rates to work the season there and gate prices (plus food prices which were set and were high then so goodness know what they're set at now!?) just kept going up and up every year. By the end of our time there alot of people were coming in with their own food and drinks for the day cos prices were just too high for them and personally I dont blame them! We had our regular customers cos our food was just top notch (family business with sound catering backgrounds!) Our regular customers would walk the circuit just to buy our breakfast specials and quality lunches and additionals to suit all tastes..............yes queues did happen but we got through them quickly with no complaints cos we were worth waiting for. Donnington is still dear to my heart but what a shame it's come to this...............greed and wanting to get more too quickly never pays off! I hope it gets sorted and we retain all these special biking events in the very near future tho - I still love going to see them, even though Im purely a spectator now.............be a pity to lose them for good!

Update Reply
babyharley @ 19/11/2009 10:42  

i have marshalled at the craner curves for the last14 yrs, and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere at donington. i agree that getting out of the circuit is a pain, and it would have been terrible with the f1.The food did get to costly,but the catering stalls did sometime give us discount

Update Reply
bandit46 @ 20/11/2009 20:17  

THE MAN BEHIND reborn motorcycle giant Norton has lept to defend Donington Park's former chief executive, following the news the circuit has gone into administration earlier this week.

Stuart Garner, Norton Motorcycles supremo, has spoken out against crticism levelled at Donington Park boss Simon Gillett, after he lost a 17-year contract to host the British Formula 1 Grand Prix.

"It's a shame that the effort did not get more support – people, including the media, were reasonably negative," said Garner.

Mr Gillett's company, Donington Ventures Ltd, went into administration with debts of millions after the company failed to meet a deadline set by F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Continuing his defence of Gillett, Garner said:

"Someone like Simon Gillett was having a good punt at it and, rather than being neutral, people poured scorn on it.

"I experienced the same level of negativity and scepticism – Norton had not made a motorcycle for 20 years when I bought it. It frustrates me that people like Simon and myself put a lot of money into projects, being quite adventurous, but people only say negative things.

It's believed interest has already been shown in the East Midlands circuit from several overseas buyers.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 21/11/2009 02:12  

Hope Donny doesn't go down pan. I love it there. first started going back in 80's to monsters of rock.. brilliant . then to bsb, wsb & gp. I've been complaining about the appalling facilities or lack of them at donny since the 80's!!! but I still go every year cos i love it . the campsites are ,but the racing is first class. will miss moto gp. went every year camping from thursday til monday in a muddy field with 20 loos & 10 showers per 2000 people!!!!!!!!! but I would still go I it

Update Reply
mandi jay @ 21/11/2009 12:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email