MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Biker Night Vision

Biker Night Vision  - Forums [Biker Match] Biker Night Vision  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Biker Night Vision

AN AMERICAN motorcyclist has got a step ahead of many motorcycle manufacturers' future plans by developing his own a night-vision system.

Darren Haley, 34, has developed the system in conjunction with Flir, a leader in thermal imaging technology.

“I did it because I could and wanted to see what the response would be,” he said.

Haley insists his system, which has a bar-mounted display in front of the rider, enhances the rider's view of the road ahead, rather than distracting them.

“I use it like I would a rear-view or side-view mirror,” Haley said.

An infrared camera is mounted at the side of the bike, feeding information to the GPS screen.

The system is so effective, Haley uses the screen to navigate when oncoming car drivers forget to dip their vehicle's main beam.

“The display allows you to see the lines of the road without having to look at the car and blinding you,” he said.

The system is still in development, although Haley has put 9,000 miles on the prototype.

Haley estimates the system can be produced and sold for around $2000 (£1225).

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 18/10/2009 01:54  

A bit steep but a good idea. Maybe in time it will decrease in price. Thanks for posting it Jackie.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 18/10/2009 06:53  

wow we could all see like Arnie astalavista baby

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 18/10/2009 11:02  

Don't want to sound picky Bj I don't think flir is a company. FLIR is an acronym for Forward Looking Infra Red. It's been around a long time in the military and police in many applications.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 18/10/2009 11:11  

oh blues you

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 18/10/2009 11:20  

pssst blues - check out flir.com (the website for FLIR Systems Inc.)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 18/10/2009 11:53  

I thought i'd get in before wills and catoraptor saw it. I like to be helpfull. read annoying.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 18/10/2009 11:54  

Hmm... only difference is that Wills and Cataraptor would probably have been correct...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 18/10/2009 12:01  

Thats wot ya get not checking your facts. It is an acronym as well. Not suprising that a firm that uses the technology took their name from it. eer, Gotta go now motogp is on.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 18/10/2009 12:01  

heheh... wanna know who wins?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 18/10/2009 12:17  

fingers in ears. NA NA NA

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 18/10/2009 12:41  

AND THE WINNER IS...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 18/10/2009 12:51  

If you snooze you lose and i missed it ..damn..who won? also 2nd and 3rd please? will it be repeated again today.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 18/10/2009 14:04  

You've already missed the repeats on BBC2 but it should be on the multiscreen using your redbutton (not the one that turns the tv off!) or on BBC iPlayer... Won't say the results just in case people are still coming in from their rides... ;)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 18/10/2009 14:13  

Thanx TC

Update Reply
excalibur @ 18/10/2009 14:43  

Hey i'd wear it

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 18/10/2009 23:36  

Pretty old hat idea, Mercedes fitted it to the S class years ago and it was quite good but very distracting. A lot of stuff I test has proper military grade night vision and its a proper sod to drive by as your spacial awareness goes out the window. I would have thought someone would have invented an ultra violet system by now for bikes. Far more effective and you keep your eyes on the road.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 19/10/2009 13:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email