MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

battery trouble, any ideas to solve

battery trouble, any ideas to solve - Forums [Biker Match] battery trouble, any ideas to solve - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

battery trouble, any ideas to solve

my rather ugly but normally gorgeous virago is playing up again, have had problems with the battery connections for some time...have had new 'ends' put on cables as old ones had gone all soft, but still the positive connection keeps 'furring up' and wont start up.....had battery out...checked levels etc...and battery is new(ish) made sure connections are cleaned and secure...and even smothered in vasaline after(the connections, not me) ;) and still it furs up and has greeny/white frothy topping...why?? any suggestions?

Update Reply
uglyducklin @ 16/10/2009 19:28  

sounds to me that the battery may be cracked,give it a wash off with hot water from kettle to get rid of furring,it may reveal a crack, if you can't see a problem try copper slip instead of vasaline,hope this is of some help. Benny

Update Reply
indian Benny @ 16/10/2009 19:41  

is the breather pipe fitted ? to battery could be over charging from alternator or rectifier fault too !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 17/10/2009 01:12  

Sounds like a rectifier/regulater fault...my old VFR did it. Also I would replace the entire battery cable, cheap enough and gets rid of the possibility that one has fractured along its length. Borrow a volt meter if you can and measure the voltage across the battery terminals. It should be no more than about 12.7v when not running and no more than about 14.7v running. Anything higher than about 15v when running shows it is overcharging....which leads neatly back to the regulator/rectifier. Hope you get it sorted soon

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 17/10/2009 08:48  

thanks for sugestions guys....will try the volt meter on it....and reckon i'll change the cable and see if that does the job....

Update Reply
uglyducklin @ 17/10/2009 10:00  

do you have the battery on a oxford maximiser/optimiser as i had a faulty charger which completely dried the battery out as it was constantly charging without cutting out,also check your earth cable as it could be arcing out somewhere

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/11/2009 22:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email