MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Why are gears the way they are on a bike?

Why are gears the way they are on a bike? - Forums [Biker Match] Why are gears the way they are on a bike? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Why are gears the way they are on a bike?

Following Brummie Jackie's excellent and thought provoking thread about side stands, I thought I'd throw this thought around to see if anyone knew the answer. Why do the gears on bikes go 1st, then Neutral, followed by 2nd, 3rd etc? Why on Earth is neutral where it is and why don't the gears go Netural, then 1st, 2nd etc etc? Secondly, why does my Trumpet always decide to go into netural all by itself when it's supposed to be in 2nd

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 22/09/2009 19:55  

arent some bikes different? or are the all the same?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/09/2009 19:59  

You had to start her off again Blue But its a good point ... why is the bottom gear 1st ?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 22/09/2009 20:02  

my fissie was 1 up 4 down i think. 1 down - 4 or 5 up makes sense 1st is most important to get right so u can keep stamping till u get it. am i right in thinking gears are down on racing bikes ?

Update Reply
dunans @ 22/09/2009 20:08  

I can easily understand why neutral's between 1st and 2nd. 1st is really a gear for moving off rather than slowing down and it makes sense to have to option to go to neutral from 2nd.
As for up or down, or left foot vs right foot, I suppose it's just a matter of it always having been one way or the other.

Update Reply
Wills @ 22/09/2009 20:12  

dunans you're right about the fizzy and most other peds from that era but as far as modern/racing bikes go i've no idea why the gear pattern is the way it is

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 22/09/2009 20:14  

Some racers do indeed change their linkages around so down is up. This is so they can change gear while cranked over.....they don't have to hook their feet under the lever.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 22/09/2009 20:15  

yeah thats what i thought ghost. ive seen threads on peeps doin it for track days so assume the gp bikes etc will be that way

Update Reply
dunans @ 22/09/2009 20:25  

Thanks Ghosty I didnt know that little gem of information..I must admit I did wonder why neutral was in between 1st and 2nd...thanks Wills for explaining that one too.

My Mini V hated 1st gear...so she was a typical Honda and always clunked from 1st to 2nd no matter how gentle you was with the gear lever..typical Honda thing...

My Ruby...has 6 gears and sometimes I wish she had a 7th as she sounds like she is screaming at top end...I know you are going to say it is cool....lol

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 22/09/2009 20:27  

Dunno about the order of gears BB, but if yours is jumping out of 2nd, especially if it does it under load,.. get into the box and put new 1st and 2nd cogs in,.. they'll be rounding on their edges. Old Pan Euros are a sod for it, and they wear the selector fork too.

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 22/09/2009 20:39  

I reversed my track bike gears so I could change whilst cranked over - its a proper arse clencher when you forget and go down the gears instead of up - I cant remember laughing at that mistake :-)

Update Reply
Throttle Jockey @ 22/09/2009 22:01  

I hate to disagree but I had a fizzy when I was a yoblet and I am more than certain it only had four gears and they were all down. The suzy AP50 had five and that was a one down four up arrangement. I then had a Yammy DT175 which was one UP then five down but all the other bikes I've had seem to have been the one down then up variety

Update Reply
pondlife @ 23/09/2009 19:20  

Not sure who you're dissagreeing with pond but the fizzy deffo had press down for up gears as dunans stated but you're right about only 4 gears and all down. Just didn't want to be too critical!

I had a TS50ER and that was 1 up and 4 down, not that it ever had enuff power to get into top unless it was going over a cliff with the wind behind it!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 23/09/2009 19:36  

Hope this helps, Neutral is centered. Push lever down to slide selector one way, then up to slide seletor the other way.

http://www.dansmc.com/powerpath1.jpg

Update Reply
mykul55 @ 23/09/2009 19:42  

Until relatively recently British bikes (remember those) had right side changes, most were one down and three up but a number had one up and three down. I made some crunchy noises in India coping with Indian traffic while remembering the Enfield gear change was on the wrong side and worked upside down. I have to admit panic braking involved loud up changes a couple of times.

Update Reply
prof @ 23/09/2009 21:14  

Prof you loud never !!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 23/09/2009 22:41  

SS50 1 down 3 or 4 up depending on flat bar 4 or rased bar 5 Totally dissagree with you Rose my 750 1st to 2nd is smooth (must remember to throttle off when chaning up) 500cx was and and the FT500 so was my xl250 and both 250 superdreams, so I think it's down to the peeps riding the bike!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 24/09/2009 19:38  

You don't know the meaning of a clonky gearchange until you've ridden an old BMW when it's in a bad mood!

Update Reply
Wills @ 24/09/2009 19:48  

or a vmax's 1st to 2nd , but after that , lovely lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 25/09/2009 10:55  

Update Reply
maxnod @ 25/09/2009 11:09  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email