MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

The End of Speeding?

The End of Speeding? - Forums [Biker Match] The End of Speeding? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

The End of Speeding?

Tue Sep 15 08:00 by Drive Smart Team Speed cameras divide opinion, but what if you weren’t able to speed in the first place? Is speed curbing the future?What's the big idea?Speed curbing - also known as intelligent speed assistance/adaptation (ISA) - is the concept of making the car, not the driver, responsible for sticking to the speed limit. Cars fitted with an ISA device would prevent the driver from accelerating beyond the maximum permitted speed limit in any given area.There are three technologies that can enable ISA. The first is GPS (global positioning system). Like in-car navigation systems, this uses signals from orbiting satellites to triangulate the car’s position. This position is then compared with an onboard map which contains speed limit data for all roads to determine the maximum permissible speed.Another idea is that roadside signs could contain small transmitters which broadcast data about the speed limit and other traffic conditions in the area. A receiver in the car would pick up this information and prevent the vehicle from travelling faster.Then there’s optical road sign recognition. A camera in the car reads signs at the side of the road. The onboard computer remembers the last sign read and prevents the car from travelling beyond the assigned speed.These technologies can also be complemented by dead reckoning – a technology that is already used as a failsafe device on some high-end in-car navigation systems. This estimates the car’s current position by comparing the last known position to the subsequent steering input and wheel rotation.Britain’s first experimental ISA scheme is being carried out by Transport for London (TfL) the authority responsible for the capital’s tubes, trains, buses and transport infrastructure. Currently three vehicles; a car, a bus and a black cab, have been fitted with GPS-based ISA systems. But the trial is to be extended to more than 20 vehicles.The TfL system, developed in conjunction with Dutch technology firm Technolution, operates in two modes: 'advisory ' and 'voluntary'. In the first of these modes an icon on the dashboard smiles when the car is travelling within the current speed limit, but it frowns if the car exceeds the speed limit. The driver is still able to break the speed limit. But in 'voluntary ' mode, computer control takes over, limiting the speed if the driver tries to exceed the limit, and progressively slowing down when a speed limit decreases.It's the 'voluntary ' mode that has caused concern among some motoring organisations. But even the 'advisory ' mode is believed to contribute to road safety. TfL hopes the scheme will stimulate commercial development of ISA devices. The trial units cost £400,000 to develop and it cost a further £220,000 to compile the database of all speed limits within London’s M25 orbital motorway. This data has been made available to manufacturers of GPS navigation devices for use in their systems.Arguments forIncreased safety. If all cars stayed within the speed limit, there would be fewer accidents. A Leeds University study estimates that even 'advisory ' ISA systems could cut collisions by 10 per cent. Without having to worry about speed limits, drivers can concentrate more clearly on the road ahead.Eliminates mistakes. Who hasn’t driven at 40 mph in a 30 mph zone because they missed the sign showing the lower speed limit? A 'voluntary ' ISA system would mean that you always know what the speed limit is. An 'advisory ' ISA system would ensure that you never break the speed limit. So you wouldn’t have to worry about points on your licence and speeding fines.Better fuel economy. The current system of speed limits and enforcement cameras has led to a speed-up-and-brake style of driving where cars are constantly braking and accelerating. By anticipating speed limit changes, and adjusting the speed accordingly, ISA systems save energy that is usually lost to braking.Arguments againstIncreased cost. It's estimated that ISA systems would add around £500 to the purchase price of a new vehicle. And what of all the existing cars on the road? Would it be made compulsory to fit after-market ISA systems to existing vehicles.Decreased safety. There are occasions when one needs to accelerate to get out of danger, when merging onto the motorway for instance, or when trying to get out of the blind spot of a vehicle merging from the left. If you are already driving at the speed limit, a 'voluntary ' ISA system would prevent you from accelerating out of danger.Erosion of liberty. If human beings are stripped of personal responsibility for their actions they feel that their liberty has been eroded. Rather than being drivers, might we become passengers, driven around by a big brother state? And what if the technology goes wrong? GPS signals cannot always be received under bridges and in tunnels. While optical sign recognition technology is very much in its infancy and may not pick up signs that have been vandalised or obscured by overhanging branches.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 15/09/2009 14:14  

so youre folowing someone at 65 mph and yu overtake at 5mph faster cos unable to go faster than 70mph a on a dual carrigeway therws noone coming your way i guess,but on an ordinary road say overtaking at 5mp theres no room for accelarting out of bother!we are just gonna be crawling along at the mercy of the always 5- 10mph slower than speed limit brigade!! god what a slow mind numbing boring world it will become!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 15/09/2009 14:59  

Mmmmm works in theory but not in practice, lorries already have speed limiters on and they can cause no end of hassle on busy roads and motorways. Would it also then offer the excuse of it wasnt me officer the limiter made me do it !

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 15/09/2009 16:27  

was that a film 'the limiter'

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 15/09/2009 17:10  

This came up a while ago. I think the concenus within the industry wasn't favourable. It would need some kind of override for overtakin. Not easy to find somewhere to put the gizmo on a sports bike. One way or another though, the powers that be are determined to find a way to curb the reckless behaviour of a minority within motorcycling. By using some kind of hammer to crack a small nut be it electronic or legeslative.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 15/09/2009 17:49  

Another case of design engineers wet dream. cause more congestion and then tax us to clear it up. Sure I read that only a slight percentage of accidents on rural roads were due to excessive speed. most were caused by inapropreate speed which the system wont control

Update Reply
micksaway @ 15/09/2009 17:57  

The majority have been asking for speed limits to be increased on motorways for years as 70mph was set in the 60's when only royalty could afford cars and they took 3 miles to stop with a man and a flag running in front. The government and other agencies have argued that this will lead to motorists increasing speed even further and causing more accidents. Would this system allow speed limits to be raised if used in conjunction with auto braking and distance sensors. This could actually make driving/riding more fun if the limit was set at a reasonable say 100mph and all trucks, women car drivers and old people were banned from using public roads, job sorted
*already running*

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 15/09/2009 18:21  

Reckon you've just opened a can of worms with that last comment RK I'm sure I read in MCN a while back that the use of speed limiters on bikes was unpractacle and at most dangerous. Test on bikes showed that taking control away from the rider ie, overtaking, going round bends etc caused the bike to have adverse handling issues; we all know what happens if you apply the front brake whilst leant over !! So it was found that fitting such devices to bikes was not advisable, 'at this time'......which simply means it's going to happen one day.... Anyone fancy another protest ???

Update Reply
redbull900 @ 15/09/2009 18:54  

RH hope you have your running shoes at campin weekend cos ur gonna need em lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 15/09/2009 20:14  

I just think it's a load of burocratic

I have the capacity to do amazing silly speeds on Ruby...but I chose not to..I normally ride within safe speed limits and according to traffic conditions..but if it is safe to overtake then I do...simple...it is down to plain common sense....but unfortunately there are a lot of numpties on the road...and RK...ask Tamrock's girlfriend Marie, most of the idiots we encounter out on bike rides together are nearly 100% men....

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 15/09/2009 20:34  

wo wo wo wo........i am sure there are just as many bad women drivers/riders on the road too

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/09/2009 21:18  

Another big issue with blanket speed limiting is the risk that people will get into the habit of driving "flat out" everywhere. Instead of driving to the conditions, it is likely that many will simply accelerate until the limiter cuts in and then will stay there regardless. This would have safety implications with people driving at 30 in small residential estates, when 20 is a more sensible speed. And it would have congestion issues with people clogging up lanes on motorways and dual carriageways whilst overtaking vehicles at 1mph more than the vehicle being overtaken.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 15/09/2009 22:17  

Hey RK i agree with you ban "trucks", 1st week no fuel for any vehicles that want to be on the road so no worries on speeding lol, 2nd weeks no food left in any shop in the country, 3rd week complete anaki and civil unrest, 4th week most of the population now "DEAD" cool!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent can we start this from next week????????????? Do want to drive trucks for the rest of me life anyway!!

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 15/09/2009 22:22  

2wheeled,

When I said all trucks I meant except the one that Delivers to my local Tescos

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 15/09/2009 22:43  

Ah ok then, i'll send all trucks to yours then, think that will be about 700+ trucks at yours, no riding for you matey!!!!!! That okay?????

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 15/09/2009 22:49  

I dunno whether to laff or cry at the back pedalling and sexist comments. I'm havin a giggle at 'anaki' tho I wonder if the Queen has anaki in her monaki LOL

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/09/2009 22:51  

Cant spell for toffeee!!!

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 15/09/2009 23:03  

Do you mean tophee? (sorry 2wf no offence, I'm in one of my 'funny' moods) *slaps meself* Ouch!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/09/2009 23:08  

Just one will do 2wheeled, it'll take me a few days to eat my way through a 40 footer

Think you're exaggerating the importance of your job now, 700 indeed tsk. Anyway you'll be sending the wagons from the south so i'll just ride NORTH, put that in your pipe and smoke it then

Kwak, you being picky again??

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 15/09/2009 23:11  

Erm... ...looks round to see if anyone is watching... ...nope...

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/09/2009 23:13  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email