MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

The End of Speeding?

The End of Speeding? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] The End of Speeding? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

The End of Speeding?

Im not old enough for a pipe!

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 15/09/2009 23:45  

To get back on topic, the so-called Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA) is the brainchild of a professor at Leeds University and a safety activist for the Parliamentary Advisory Committee for Transport Safety (PACTS). I crosses swords with him on many occasions and I made it clear that I believe he is a few steps away from reality. He, in turn, made it clear that he didn't like motorcycles.

The arguments against ISA, cited earlier in this thread, have all been put forward, particularly regarding motorcycles where it is pretty clear, even to our academic friend, that an intervention system on motorcycles could destabilise them.

The trials by Transport for London are not new. Some 4 or 5 years ago there was a fleet of 20 adapted cars driving around Leeds. And guess what? It was reported that none of the volunteers had any problems with ISA and most liked it. There were also a token truck and a token motorcycle. The bike, a 650 Bandit S was never allowed on public roads and was only ridden on the MIRA test track. The staff at MIRA who developed it were non-motorcyclists and had to get someone who worked on a different project to collect the bike from the dealer's since she was the only one who held a motorcycle licence! I don't believe they could be trusted to sit the right way round on a lavatory let alone a motorcycle.

A number of people from the motorcycling community, including me got to test it at MIRA. Impressions were all written up in the BMF's Motorcycle Rider but what I can say is that a warning system using a speed limit icon on the dash is a good idea and helpful to know what the limit is. The flashing lights which the fuzz would be able to see, audible warnings and the vibrating seat (yes really and there were plenty of lewd comments about that) were not and distracting to the rider. The intervention system which prevented you from exceeding speed limits was so ineffectual that it wasn't a danger but if it had been made more effective, it could have destabilised the bike at the wrong moments. Also on a bike with a narrower power band than a Bandit, it would have forced some rapid gear changing as it closed the throttle on you or you could stall the engine.

In short the whole concept is flawed, particularly for motorcycles and the system developed for bikes was undertaken without the involvement of motorcyclists which is typical of the road safety lobby's arrogance. The only useful aspect is a subtle warning system among the instruments since so many speed limits are far from self-explaining and have the speed limit signs mixed up with others and so can be missed. However, that can be programmed into sat nav. Those with an interest in ISA keep bumping it in the media but with compelling arguments against and the issue of liability in the event of accidents, it looks unlikely to ever fly.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 16/09/2009 07:09  

Biased ... naaa.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 16/09/2009 07:24  

Technology can always be overcome, so wot the F**k is the point of this new crap??? Thats why we have screwdrivers and hammers and the neds to use them................These a*** holes need to get real jobs.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/09/2009 10:55  

Whatever technology is put in place some smart alec will devise something to get round it, ah geeks dont you just love em :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 16/09/2009 12:05  

Might be a little obvious whose got round it tho BJ when every vehicle is doin below 70 except one thats doing a ton!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 16/09/2009 20:26  

Enter the invisible bike !lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 16/09/2009 20:47  

I think mine is sometimes.....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 16/09/2009 20:59  

does your cape cover the HD as well ...TC hey TC where you gone ! lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 16/09/2009 21:06  

Who said that?

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 16/09/2009 21:13  

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 16/09/2009 21:20  

TC we can seeeee youuuu!!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 16/09/2009 21:22  

...bugger...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 16/09/2009 21:24  

wow it realy works , these scots wizards are spooky man , i'm outta here .

Update Reply
excalibur @ 16/09/2009 21:28  

Always wondered what they kept in their sporren exc, now we know its 'the' cape eh

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 16/09/2009 21:30  

I have to keep a few in there - I am always putting them down and losing them!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 16/09/2009 21:32  

Aaaah thanx for explaining that RK ..i was sh.....g myself there for a minute ..i still worry about the bagpipes though , all that sucking and blowing an all

Update Reply
excalibur @ 16/09/2009 21:36  

You should hang them over your TV TC so when you can't see the telly you'll know it's under your cloaks mate

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 16/09/2009 21:43  

The best people to get round speed limiters are the Irish, they've been doing it for years and years on their trucks, lol

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 17/09/2009 05:01  

BAN THE TRUCKS!!!

exc i'd be very careful about talking about sucking and blowing near a man that wears a skirt and a furry purse, especially if he can become invisible!!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 17/09/2009 08:07  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email